Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frustrating once fired 9mm

The once fired 9mm brass I have is killing me, was having lots of hang up while trying to loaded some 9mm on my 550B this weekend. I found that the spent primers are not decapping very well. On about 1 in 10, only the back of the spent primer cup is coming out, leaving the sides of the spent primer still in the pocket. At first I thought is was a primer crimp, but after closer examination it's sides of the spent primer. So now, with this batch of 9mm cases, I am running them through the 550B just to decap them and inspect each one.

post-57920-0-48573400-1467646772_thumb.j

It is what most call a "ringer" There are a few threads talking about it. Usually it results from brass that was wet/out in elements for some time.

Yep! You got some brass from an outdoor range that layed out in the rain. I went through hundreds and hundreds of these things recently and my tests show there is NOTHING you can do to prevent it. The primers either come out or they don't.

Don't buy from there anymore and maybe even contact the seller for a return/refund.

Of course, do us all a favor and let us know if you bought it on these forums

It is what most call a "ringer" There are a few threads talking about it. Usually it results from brass that was wet/out in elements for some time.

I did not purchase them for anybody on this forum, it's from a seller on facebook.

I did not purchase them for anybody on this forum, it's from a seller on facebook.
Good to know. :) buy it here next time. MOST people here are seasoned reloader and know good from crap brass

Seanc:

Any more specific info on that solution, what it was/what it was used for?

Just that it was something they used.to clean in bulk. It seemed to cause tons of ringers, like 1 in 10 were pushing through which is not even close to wrth trying to deal with.

Another reason to deprime first before SS pinning !

I do not wet tumble.....still like the old fashion corn cob media in a vibrating bowl.

I went to the progressive press to pull the handle less...now I am stuck with 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket of 9mm that I have run through the 550B to just deprime. I am to cheap to toss the brass.

Yeah it's gotten to unless the brass is free, I only order off of here when I find myself in need of brass. The members here are the best and all the brass I have bought here has been top notch.

I had some bad 5.56 and 9mm. I tried a Lyman and Lee Universal decapping dies, tried Hornady, Dillon, Lee Undersize dies, different pins, nothing would work better than the other. If the primers are corroded into the pocket, you're pretty much SOL. I used the ringer detector on my Ammobot to sort out all the brass once it was decapped.

hi guys ive never had this problem with any of the brass that, 1 ive picked up 2,thats been around the range for a long time in the wet, or 3,when ive used my wet tumbler,i think it could be your decapping die, or just the brass,

only my 2 cents worth

hi guys ive never had this problem with any of the brass that, 1 ive picked up 2,thats been around the range for a long time in the wet, or 3,when ive used my wet tumbler,i think it could be your decapping die, or just the brass,

only my 2 cents worth

Pretty confident it's water related. It can't be a die problem. The primers are adhering to the brass

I too have gotten thousands of rounds of brass from a wet range and never had this issue. But that doesn't mean it's not water related. Maybe there is a soil PH factor along with the water that causes this.

Edited by L3324temp

Might also be "major" pressures flattened and thinned the metal around the edges, then a little moisture induced corrosion with possible acidic soil ph ?

Could also be the source picked old nasty brass and acid cleaned it too much?

Free is not always inexpensive!

only my 2 cents worth

hi guys

i will up date my reply from the other day,what i didn't mention was that i only use 38sc, and the other day i picked up some 9mm thats been lying around the house and also some i picked up from the range,after de priming them i got approx 65% the same as you,so it could be just 9mm that this happens with?

only my 2 cents worth

hi guys

i will up date my reply from the other day,what i didn't mention was that i only use 38sc, and the other day i picked up some 9mm thats been lying around the house and also some i picked up from the range,after de priming them i got approx 65% the same as you,so it could be just 9mm that this happens with?

Most I ever found was depriving 45 ACP for a buddy that still had water in the bucket. So it can happen to any brass and its moisture related.