Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue bullet 147 coke bottle chamber fail

MP9

Hi all.

I have been reloading 147rn xtreme bullets for a year now. 1.140 for my cz mostly and 0 issue.. All pass the chamber check.. It will drop free on the barrel itself..

I have a dillon 650 and dillon dies.

I decided to try blue bullets 147RN, dillong case lube.. And i get a lot more noticable bulk or coke bottle than isual and almost all bullets wont drop free/ clean on the barrel. Actual sometimes it drop free on the chamber checker (lyman and egw)

I try more crimp, nothing changed. Even worst i beleive, seated it deeper and nothing..1.130-.135..

No sure how to fix it. Can i get it to work without ordering u-die and FCD?

Before xtreme and i was using bayou and with hard brass i had a lot of fail chamber check.. When i switched to xtreme it was awesome as i never had failed chamber..

As ordering 3000 blue bullets seams cheap Im giving a try..

Any advice?

Thanks

It's possible that the Blue Bullets have to be seated even deeper for your CZ ...

I'd shorten them up and try The Plunk Test, until you find an OAL that works

in your gun.

You might have to go lower than 1.130" ...

Good luck with it :)

I liked the BB 147gr in .358. I would the resize the bullet to the .358 and .357 and .356. I had different sized bullets for different guns. BUT, the shape of the BB would not let me load long enough. At BB's they know the shape of their RN does not let you load long enough in some guns. So I just bought the new SNS 147gr. .357 bullets. This will be a compromise for the 3 guns. The conical flatnose loads very long if you want. Working with the BB, I don't like using the FCD so I just loaded shorter, until it did pass the plunk test. I think the maximum you can load into a shell is .300. In my pistol, I have to resize the bullet to .356 instead of the .357 I wanted and then could not load longer that l.l35. I don't know what diameter bullet you are using, but a resizing die may help you.

For my Shadow, I load those to 1.12. At that length, there are about 10 head stamps that don't case gauge. Their case walls thicken nearer the case mouth. CBC and Aguila are the most common problem brass types. I segregate them and use them with other bullets.

Blue Bullets are a wonderful value. They aren't keeping up with their competitors on the latest trends in bullet profiles. I'd like to see 125 and 147 flat point bullets without lube grooves

Edited by Smitty79

I have the same problem with foreign brass.

Eggleston makes some 147 gr coated lead with what looks like a similar profile as the extreme/Berrys profile so they should be able to loaded out to a longer OAL. I've got some ordered but haven't gotten them in so I haven't been able to load any up.

Though, I'm probably gonna stick with plated. There not much more than coated and seem to be easier to load and don't smoke. Plus I'm switching to tite goup and that's $5 less than WSF and requires less powder so in the end I think I'm actuall spending less

per round.

Best profile I've found is the Acme NLG 147. Personally, I'm going to move to 124/5s soon. I've been measuring performance with both bullet weights. I don't see a measurable differences.

For my Shadow, I load those to 1.12. At that length, there are about 10 head stamps that don't case gauge. Their case walls thicken nearer the case mouth. CBC and Aguila are the most common problem brass types. I segregate them and use them with other bullets.

Blue Bullets are a wonderful value. They aren't keeping up with their competitors on the latest trends in bullet profiles. I'd like to see 125 and 147 flat point bullets without lube grooves

+1 what he said........

My favorite Blue bullet is the 147 flat point !!!!! .... as soon as i finish what i have now..... its the blue 147 FP for the duration...... unless they make finally make no lube groove. (why they don't make one already ????)

i had similar issues culling brass did help, luckily only had a small batch of 147 RN (and yes cbc and aguilla were the culprits)

blue 147 flat points, longer seating, no culling!!!!

Just loaded some blue Bullets for the first time today. I had the same problem and fixed it by backing off the crimp until it was just barely crimped. I think the more aggressive crimp was slightly flaring the case.

Hi all.

I have been reloading 147rn xtreme bullets for a year now. 1.140 for my cz mostly and 0 issue.. All pass the chamber check.. It will drop free on the barrel itself..

I have a dillon 650 and dillon dies.

I decided to try blue bullets 147RN, dillong case lube.. And i get a lot more noticable bulk or coke bottle than isual and almost all bullets wont drop free/ clean on the barrel. Actual sometimes it drop free on the chamber checker (lyman and egw)

I try more crimp, nothing changed. Even worst i beleive, seated it deeper and nothing..1.130-.135..

No sure how to fix it. Can i get it to work without ordering u-die and FCD?

Before xtreme and i was using bayou and with hard brass i had a lot of fail chamber check.. When i switched to xtreme it was awesome as i never had failed chamber..

As ordering 3000 blue bullets seams cheap Im giving a try..

Any advice?

Thanks

With coated bullets:

1) shorten your load with your previous crimp and what-not until they pass the plunk test. (You drop it into your disassembled gun's barrel and it spins freely).

2) Pull that bullet. Does it have a groove or ridge in it where it was being undersized / pinched by the sizing die? Back your crimp off until you're juuuust taking the bell out of the case mouth. You should barely be able to see where the mouth of the case was wrapped around the bullet when you pull one. You certainly shouldn't be able to feel a ridge there.

I find these two steps result in amazingly reliable, accurate ammo with coated bullets.

I also found running a Lee FCD to be totally worthless. If you leave it where the round gets properly final-sized with lead or coated bullets, it is probably under sizing your round at the same time. That can cause all manner of issues. By the time it is backed off enough to pass the above "crimp just enough to get the bell off the case mouth and get them to pass the gauge" test... the FCD isn't actually doing anything that an ordinary Dillon or RCBS crimp die doesn't do.

Edited by MemphisMechanic