Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Suggested Load Production Minor 147gr. Zero JHP CZ 75Pistol Vihtav

RWingNJ

Need Suggested Load:
Intended Firearm: CZ 75 9mm w/ match barrel
Division: Production:
Primer: Federal -Note Federal Primers are softer than CCI and same gr. power as CCI will produce a lower power factor.
Bullet: Zero 147gr HP
Powder: VIHTAVUORI N320
OAL: _______
Gr:_________
Desired Power Factor: 130- 135

Welcome to the Forums, RWingNJ :)

Your best OAL is determined by running The Plunk Test, in your gun,

and your mags, and with the bullet you selected.

See what The Longest OAL you can use by removing the barrel, and

dropping rounds of various lengths into the barrel - make sure you hear

The Plunk, which indicates the round has dropped Completely into the

chamber.

Then, make sure you can spin the cartridge freely and that the round

will drop out easily when you invert the barrel.

The longest round you can find to pass The Plunk Test, is the longest

OAL you can run - back that off by a little bit to ensure proper feeding,

and you have it.

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work, doesn't it? Just part of successful

reloading that will end up with superior ammo suited for Your Gun.

Whaja doin' with all this ammo? IDPA? USPSA? Steel?

3.6 of N320 @ 1.135 OAL for a PF of 131. This is what works in my CZ 75 but my barrel has been reamed. As Jack said, you will need to tell us what your maximum OAL is and back off this load accordingly.

Edited by bowenbuilt

• 1 month later...

I've never seen a noticeable difference in velocity by switching between Winchester, Federal, and CCI primers in 9mm minor loads, for what it's worth. Unless you plan to load just a touch above minimum power factor (a fools errand) then I wouldn't worry about it at all if your loads are running 130+ PF.

I've never seen a noticeable difference in velocity by switching between Winchester, Federal, and CCI primers in 9mm minor loads, for what it's worth. Unless you plan to load just a touch above minimum power factor (a fools errand) then I wouldn't worry about it at all if your loads are running 130+ PF.

how much of a difference and whats the numbers on the velocity?

Put this on the CZ pistol section and decided to add it here as well....

CZ-75 Shadow (#91715) from CZC, all the bells and whistles, factory mags, ~800 rounds through the gun.

Working up a load for the Zero 147gr JHP.  Arrived at 3.5gr of N-320 which gives me a very consistent (SD of 7) velocity of 887 FPS (130 PF).  Max OAL with this bullet was a way long 1.1813 which is obviously not going to work even after subtracting .015 from it.  Apparently, my barrel has been reamed at some point but I didn't get an affirmative "yes" from CZC that they were the ones who did it (???).  So I started at 1.135 and worked up to 1.155, 100 rounds total, measured each round then shot them in similar length blocks of 10, looking for an obvious increase in accuracy at 25yds.

The fun began after loading the magazine with 10 rounds.  I tried multiple mags.

After 4-5 shots, the cuts on the hollow point section of the Zero bullets would "hang up" and nose dive internally on the magazine notch which locks the mag into the gun.  Here's what's making me scratch my head...

1.135-1.1395 No issues

1.141 and 1.143 Hang up

1.144-1.146 No issues

1.1465 Hang up

1.147 No issues

1.1485 Hang up

1.149-1.155 No issues shooting over 30 rounds here

The definition of inconsistency!  Velocities were essentially the same on all shots but I did see a tightening group at the 1.147-1.148 range. So I guess I'll try shorter than 1.135 and shoot some more 1.147 and 1.150s to see if they remain reliable.

Anyone else experience this or have any recommendations/solutions to offer?

• 2 years later...
On 7/1/2016 at 10:17 PM, RWingNJ said:

Primer: Federal -Note Federal Primers are softer than CCI and same gr. power as CCI will produce a lower power factor.

Differences from one primer to the next vary based on case length and volume.  The smaller the case, the less difference there is from one primer to the next.

I have seen tests done with 9mm Luger with not only different brands of primers, but magnum vs standard.  Difference between brands is negligible.  Difference between magnum and standard is minimal.  I'm talking minor difference in feet/sec here, as well.  You're not going to see any difference in power factor in 9mm Luger with Federal vs CCI.

• 2 weeks later...

N320 needs SPM primer to have stable velocity. Some HP's need a very short col like 1.13 or less. I would start about 3.4gr. I don't know what the match barrel means here but usually CZ needs a bit more that other guns. Is this a typical production gun using original looking parts that have been fitted to look worn?

12 hours ago, MikieM said:

To my way of thinking it's well worth the cost just because it's so clean burning. Add to that it's anti-fouling capabilities and it's as about as good as powder gets. ?

A lot of buzz about the somewhat new Sport Pistol powder being a cheaper alternative.

Never bought VV because I never had a powder where I thought dirty burning was an issue, am about half way down on an 8 lb jug of SP though (147 gr 9mm loads) does seem like it is cleaner than what I'm used to.

• 2 weeks later...
N320 needs SPM primer to have stable velocity. Some HP's need a very short col like 1.13 or less. I would start about 3.4gr. I don't know what the match barrel means here but usually CZ needs a bit more that other guns. Is this a typical production gun using original looking parts that have been fitted to look worn?
Kema , do you have any chrono data on magnum vs non magnum loads and N320?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk