Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Slide looking for someone to Trim the Fat off! (slide lightnin

CocoBolo

The ATF is pretty clear in that if you make money gunsmithing, whether it be on serialized or non serialized parts - you are a gunsmith by definition and need to be licensed.

Sure, people like to play out the loopholes like they only do it part time, etc. It's a side hobby until the ATF decides it isn't. They aren't exactly a common sense group of folks.

Everyone is free to do as they wish. This is American where you're still free to do as you please. (So far anyway.)

But doing any sort of gunsmithing without a license is definitely not something I'd personally play around with. :)

Edited by bruceg

Like I said, the ATF is clear on it. Not trying to argue with anyone lol. :)

Yep, not trying to start an argument, but we want to understand why you have a different understanding versus most of us. Can you explain what has informed your understanding on this issue? You say the ATF is clear on the issue. Is this based on discussions with the ATF, some other documentation, etc.?

Yep, not trying to start an argument, but we want to understand why you have a different understanding versus most of us. Can you explain what has informed your understanding on this issue? You say the ATF is clear on the issue. Is this based on discussions with the ATF, some other documentation, etc.?

Yes. Before we were licensed, we wanted to know if we could do slide work and refinishing, etc on non serialized parts. We spoke with two seperate ATF branches which were both clear in that if you're making money working on or modifying firearm parts whether they are serialized parts or not - you are a gunsmith. And as a gunsmith you are required to be licensed.

Yep to the best of my knowledge on this, the serialized part can be worked on only if the person who owns the gun is present, and the serialized frame/gun cannot be left with me overnight. That is what I read when I checked into this last year.

The slide is just a hunk of metal with no serial numbers so it doesn't fall into that category. But then this is the ATF so.....

If I could get an FFL and use my shop in the back yard as the official address then I would, but as I understand it you have to have a brick and mortar location away from your home, so I would have to do a lot of business to make it worth my while. Plus I already have a full time job and it just wouldn't be feasible for me to go through all that trouble.

If you can legally purchase a gun (ie: fill out a 4473) and your local zoning, HOA, etc. does NOT prohibit a business at your location you can generally get a FFL if you have a need. You CAN use you home address, or have the local authority, planning commission, whoever, assign an address to your shop. The ATF does not care if the business is in your home as long as the local regulations allow a business in the home.

Yep to the best of my knowledge on this, the serialized part can be worked on only if the person who owns the gun is present, and the serialized frame/gun cannot be left with me overnight. That is what I read when I checked into this last year.

The slide is just a hunk of metal with no serial numbers so it doesn't fall into that category. But then this is the ATF so.....

If I could get an FFL and use my shop in the back yard as the official address then I would, but as I understand it you have to have a brick and mortar location away from your home, so I would have to do a lot of business to make it worth my while. Plus I already have a full time job and it just wouldn't be feasible for me to go through all that trouble.

If you can legally purchase a gun (ie: fill out a 4473) and your local zoning, HOA, etc. does NOT prohibit a business at your location you can generally get a FFL if you have a need. You CAN use you home address, or have the local authority, planning commission, whoever, assign an address to your shop. The ATF does not care if the business is in your home as long as the local regulations allow a business in the home.

Where it also gets complicated is in regards to insurance. A guy I worked with in Colorado Springs ended up letting his FFL go due to problems he had with his insurance company. They would not renew his homeowners policy so long as he was operating a gunsmithing business out of his home. With all of the hoops you have to go through to have a home based FFL (HOAs, zoning, insurance, etc.), not many can pull it off.

Thank you for this information. I will look in too it. Edited by MrPostman

Yes. Before we were licensed, we wanted to know if we could do slide work and refinishing, etc on non serialized parts. We spoke with two seperate ATF branches which were both clear in that if you're making money working on or modifying firearm parts whether they are serialized parts or not - you are a gunsmith. And as a gunsmith you are required to be licensed.

Ok thanks.

Gary Natale at Gans Guns. Fast turnaround, good prices, and will do bluing. Plus he has pages of slide cuts on his website. I had a full custom open gun built. Sent a box of parts and in a week and a half I had a open gun. It's getting close to a year old, not problems, always runs.

Thanks for all the replies, another gun down so I have to get with it now.

Been real busy cracking another slide. STI you gonna make me shoot my Glock! Yeah, that's right I have another gun down, but I'll be hitting up STI for a replacement slide. This gun been around a few days, can you say Competitor from the days before the TruBore barrel it came with a big fishing weight comp real heavy, so heavy I put a titanium on it.? LOL

I have an email or two out for estimates, on the slide cuts, for the first one, depending on what happens there I might just get the Brazos cut slide with the racker, anyone tried one of those?

Not to worry I have a case of 40 bullets and a good un-molested Dawson HPF Edge, just need to order some glasses to see the sights. LOL

Edited by CocoBolo

My gun has the Brazos style cuts ( is not a Brazos slide but a Caspian )and flat topped ( not tri topped )is holding up now for more than 4 years running 9 Major .

Almost all of the open guns in 9 Major here in holland ( that had different slide cuts and tri topping ) have cracked within 2 years .

Mine is still running my Smith advised me to do this kind of cuts because according to him this is the safest way to lighten the slide with the least change of cracking .

Now 4 years later i think he was right .

I have a new Brazos Caspian lightened slide with Fashion accessory installed on the way, just got the ship notice. Yep going to get a Slide Racker, my grand kids will enjoy it, and I will leave it in the white so they can pick a finish. When and if STI replaces the slide it will go up for sale just like the last one.