Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
djcsmith

Recoil Spring Binds - STI Trojan 9mm

The slide is usually smooth, and cycles perfectly.

However, once in a while (approx. 250 rounds), the slide binds and stops mid-cycle.

I can manually move the slide, but with heavy drag, and feels like something is binding inside.

If I manually cycle the slide several times, sometimes it fixes itself, and all is well again.

Other times I have to field-strip, and reassemble to correct the issue.

It is not an ammo issue, as it binds even if the gun is empty.

I can only think it is the recoil spring binding on it's own links, or the slide.

Anyone else had this happen?

My Trojan is presently running an 8 Lb recoil spring, and has a factory one-piece recoil-spring guide.

I could try a 9 Lb spring, but can't see how this would make a difference.

Hello: Recoil spring installed backwards? Wrong guide rod that doesn't fit in the frame correctly? Thanks, Eric

<"Recoil spring installed backwards?">

Just field stripped the Trojan, and the spring is not backwards.

<"Wrong guide rod that doesn't fit in the frame correctly?">

I think the guide rod is stock.

However, "not fitting the frame" makes me wonder if the 8Lb spring was letting the slide "bounce", causing the horseshoe-shaped base of the guide-rod to jump out of it's resting position against the frame.

This is just a theory, but I noticed that after I reassembled the slide after field-stripping, the slide was sticking at first, until I cycled it once or twice.

Are you left-handed?

I ask because I had the same issue and what was causing it was my right thumb (weak hand) pressing the slide stop out enough to bind the slide.

Didn't happen a lot, just enough to ruin a stage.

Edited by robertg5322

I am not left-handed.

My best guess, at the moment, is that something is causing the base of the guide-rod to drag on the slide, or the spring is binding, or both.

However, the next time it happens, I will certainly examine the slide-stop position.

is the "horseshoe-shaped" base of the guide rod beat up or peened out of shape? Are you using a shock buff that may be worn or hanging up?

I see contact marks, but can't say there is wear, or peening.

I am not running a shock-buff.

The gun has about 1500 rounds through it.

Link pin loose and moving? Link stretched or broken? Recoil spring damaged? Slide stop somehow moving around (detent not deep enough?)

Check disconector. Also check that ejector is tight. If it's loose it can drag in the slide channel.

Install slide on frame without barrel and recoil system. Move it slowly and feel for any drag to help identify if it's recoil system or not.

Thanks for the suggestions on the last two posts.

Haven't had a chance to investigate those yet.

It is time to d a detail strip anyways, so I check everything out.

I did change to a 9 Lb recoil spring, and haven't had issues in the last 150 rounds.

I would suspect the ejector before the slide-stop. I did notice that it is the ejector that prevents me from using my .22 Ciener conversion kit.

The ejector can be checked easily, but I might have to wait for the next issue to test the slide-stop issue.

Thanks for the suggestions on the last two posts.

Haven't had a chance to investigate those yet.

It is time to d a detail strip anyways, so I check everything out.

I did change to a 9 Lb recoil spring, and haven't had issues in the last 150 rounds.

I would suspect the ejector before the slide-stop. I did notice that it is the ejector that prevents me from using my .22 Ciener conversion kit.

The ejector can be checked easily, but I might have to wait for the next issue to test the slide-stop issue.

I gotta think if it's the ejector or recoil spring/guide rod, you'd be experiencing this on if not every round fired, most rounds fired.

A slide stop issue, especially if it's being moved by your hand/thumb/finger, or link pin issue may be intermittent.

I shoot left handed and had issues with my thumb occasionally pushing on the end of the slide stop pin. It would bind up the gun if I pushed hard enough at just the right time to push the slide stop out. I ground the nub on slide stop flush with the frame and the problem went away. I noticed a few other left handed shooters having the same issue. Doubt it's your issue, I can't see how a right handed shooter could apply pressure on that side of the slide stop while the gun is cycling.