Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with 650 and sizer/casing alignment

Here's the problem:

I'm loading 9mm. The cases aren't reliably aligning with the sizing die in the first position. Basically, they aren't always going all the way into the shell plate. (See photos attached). I can't see an obvious adjustment to fix this.

Am I missing something?

I've loaded 20-30k rounds through this. The problem just started a month or so ago, and seems to be getting worse.

The first photo shows the gap. The second photo is the piece of brass after I've nudged it the rest of the way into the shell plate.

post-34791-0-13762800-1467324906_thumb.j

post-34791-0-40084000-1467324916_thumb.j

If the case is backing out when the cam withdraws then try putting a dab of silicon spray where it touches the case. I've seen that issue where the cases are a bit sticky and the cam pulls them out of the shell plate as it slides back.

Ok - ran into this with my 650 in 40 S&W. there is adjustment on the cam slide - BUT - if it just started doing this check for an empty case dropped into the case feed assembly on the back side of the assembly- took me a month to find it on mine. It prevents the slide from going all the way into place.

• 1 month later...

My 650 was getting a little sloppy in getting the case all the way into the shellplate. I would clean things up and it would work better but not perfectly. I wound up double pumping the handle occasionally to get the case in. Today, it got worse (1 or 2 in 5), so I cut the session short and took the case slide apart. The coil spring (13937) had snapped in a couple places but the fragments stayed stacked due to the ID of the spring tunnel in the slide which explained the sloppy operation. I am not sure how long this was going on but I guess since the machine is 12 years old, things are going to start wearing out. ;) So today was not a total loss since i figured out what was a random problem and I was also able to do the first repair needed by my 14 year old VibraPrime!

ETA: This is what the old spring looks like. I am not sure how long this was "working"!

CaseInsertSlideSpring.jpg

Edited by ChuckS

Must have been 'Death Day' for 13937 springs as I renewed mine yesterday after weeks of problems. Had the time to sit and nut out the problem and pull it apart. The old spring was only about 2" long and fell apart in my hand as I pulled it out. It is only 13 yrs old. They just don't make stuff like they used to:ph34r: Works like a new one with the replacement.