1911 magwell options

jbecker

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the s&a carry type is better than nothing, but not nearly as fast or useful as a real magwell, and they cost about as much.

I really like the ICE, but I practice alot and the plastic insert gets beat up. I had one crack after about 5 months or so of use. i would at least consider the IPSC version to avoid having to spend $20 on a new plastic insert twice a year.

The Dawson Ice is very nice. It is huge and deep. Make sure you buy the longest mags and add pads to them. I had one on my SigMax and with the shorter mags with Dawson pads they were barely 1/8" longer than the bottom of the magwell and were more difficult to seat. Tripp Cobra mags are my preferred mag.

I have an Ice mag well on all my SS guns and they are huge and deep. I am now thinking a tad to deep as you need a long bumper and be carful to fully seat the mag. If I had to do it over I would probably go with the IPSC Dawson mag well

I'm not a fan of huge magwells on 1911s. My preference is something like the EGW 2-piece magwell. It will never loosen and you can shape it any way you want.

I vote Dawson ice. There is two types of them tho. One requires using Dawson base pads and the other will accept any 1911 magazine. I have the one that accepts anything and haven't had any issues with it.

Not really 2 types of Dawson Ice 1911 magwells, there are 2 different inserts available. One for standard basepads that have insertion stop(this is the "Gap" version). The "NoGap" requires DP basepads or trimming them off your mags.

Weight is a factor, its a 9mm 1911 and Its heavy

Then get the Dawson with the aluminum mainspring housing, or else you'll go over the weight limit for single stack. Even then, it may still be overweight. On my 9mm Trojan, it was still 1/10 oz over. I had to put in an aluminum guide rod to make weight.

I might need the aluminum guide rod too, I just ordered a new scale to be sure I can get an accurate weight.

I'm thinking I will go with the dawson ice with the gap so I don't need new base pads and a aluminum main spring housing and see what my weight is, and if needed go with aluminum guide rod and light weight grips

I might need the aluminum guide rod too, I just ordered a new scale to be sure I can get an accurate weight.

I'm thinking I will go with the dawson ice with the gap so I don't need new base pads and a aluminum main spring housing and see what my weight is, and if needed go with aluminum guide rod and light weight grips

You will want the Dawson extended base pads. The Ice magwell doesn't allow much magazine to protrude, the Dawson's are longer in the rear where the box allows it.

e9697d1ce7bfd8e2ec92ffd8a547c66b.jpg