Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ruger precision rifle 6.5 creedmoor optics needed

tannerlc

I have a budget max $2500 for a new scope for my Ruger precision rifle 6.5 creedmoor im new to the PRS and cant make up my mind if i want to get a Vortex Razor GEN 2 4.5-27x56 for about $2400 or start out with the Viper pst 6-24x50 around $900 i would hate to get the viper and wish i had got the razor but i would also hat to spend an extra $1600 on the razor and the viper would have worked. Any advice or recomendations would be greatly appreciated. thanks

If you can afford the Razor II then get it. It's a great optic. I have 3 of them and have had one of the first 4.5-27x on the market and it has never let me down in 2 year and running matches.

You'll never look back after getting good glass, whereas you may end up spending more if the pst doesn't live up to your expectations. They are great scopes but not in the same league as razor glass in clarity (daytime and especially low light) or eye box forgiveness at higher magnifications. As long as you can deal with razor weight and have the budget I'd go that way with no hesitation.

• Sightron SIII SS 8-32x56mm Side Focus Riflescope

Excellent scope for the money. I have it mounted on my 6.5 Creedmoor PRS. I know others are using the same scope out to a 1000

Skip the PST if you have the budget for something better. It is a great scope and would be more than adequate but you will see a huge difference in the $2500 category

I looked at the Razor but was turned off by the weight. Went with a Kahles and could not be happier.

• 2 weeks later...

I have looked through a Burris 5X25 with the SCR reticle on my buddies 308 build and it is really clear and nice. I am not a long range shooter at all and was hitting out to 750ish easily. Seems to be good glass for the money as well.

Definitely a good buy in the sub- $1500 range. Great feature set on that optic.

I have a budget max $2500 for a new scope for my Ruger precision rifle 6.5 creedmoor im new to the PRS and cant make up my mind if i want to get a Vortex Razor GEN 2 4.5-27x56 for about $2400 or start out with the Viper pst 6-24x50 around $900 i would hate to get the viper and wish i had got the razor but i would also hat to spend an extra $1600 on the razor and the viper would have worked. Any advice or recomendations would be greatly appreciated. thanks

what features are most important to you? what are you going to be using the rifle for? Plinking bench shooting PRS? given the forum i'd assume prs. I always recommend getting the best optic you can. for that price point, there are some good options, looking at the high end, you can add a bit and get into a kahles or a nightforce atacr. the vortex razor would put you around 2200$ . the viper PST is a great scope, but it's entry level and most people will use it for 2-4 years then upgrade if they get deep into the sport, at least thats what i've seen people do over the years. if I can help in anyway, please let me know

• 4 weeks later...

My vote would be the Gen II.  I currently own a few PST's and they are great scopes for the money, but they don't compare to what you get with the Gen II.

Here is my RPR 6.5 with my Gen II before i sold it.

25217471415_fc6923be68_b.jpg

Edited by Token3495

I picked up a razor 5-20 with the ebr2 reticle for a song and I'm extremely happy with it. It may not be as nice as the gen two and is a little shorter on power but for under 1500 I had the full setup scope level, caps, sunshade and the vortex precision 35mm rings. Might be worth a look for a middle ground scope that is still high end 

• 3 weeks later...

Bushnell DMR 3.5-21, Burris XTR 5-25, SIG Tango 4 in the budget line. Vortex Razor II or AMG, SIG tango 6 midrange price, Khales, tangent theta, USO ect in the high end priced glass. All of them will serve you well. I currently have a SIG Tango 6 5-30 on my 6.5 RPR and really like it. the eye box is not really forgiving though compared to some of the other glass out there, including the Razor II. I do like the SIG turrets better (I think...) over the razor II. The Tangent theta scopes are REALLY nice, but large and heavy. If you want to save some weight, go with the Razor AMG or the Khales.

I've got more expensive rifles, so when I picked up my RPR .243win I wasn't planning on dumping a bunch of money into the glass.  Soo, I bought a Vortex FFP PST 6-24 with the EBR2C reticle, attached it with a JP mount... Wholly crap, I was pretty impressed.   Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to take the rig to a PRS match.  

The whole rig, running 107gr Nosler BTHP pushing 2910fps with H4350, grouping under a dime at the 100 yard line.  I went straight to steel at my local range which goes to 500 yards.  Never touched the dial, just held over on the reticle. The glass is pretty amazing, and the EBR2C reticle is the bee's knee's.  No problem smacking golf balls at 200 yards, or bowling pins at 500 either...  

IMHO, the RPR is a budget gun that gives you a whole lot more bank for the buck than anything I've seen in forever.  The Vortex FFP PST 6-24 is the exact same thing bang for the buck.  They naturally just pair up.  Like if you have more money for better glass, then your probably in the realm of shopping for and having the ability to get a custom built rifle, which I'd recommend.

• 2 weeks later...

Buddy has a FFP PST 6-24x (EBR-2C MOA). Didn't like it very much from a resolution/brightness perspective, but the value was there and it fit his budget which was most important - he's essentially $2150 into the gun all set up and punching .55" groups at 100yd. I went with a Razor Gen 2 4.5-27x (EBR-2C, milrad) instead of the PST and I really like it; actually more so than I thought I would.

If you're concerned about the weight, you may want to pick up an interim optic right now and wait til you can drop $2250-2500 on the new 30mm Razor. I will say that weight when behind the rifle isn't that noticeable, but I have my bipod cant set tight so it doesn't flop. Otherwise, weight is definitely an issue when carrying the rifle. I would appreciate the 20oz weight loss of the 30mm Razor scope, but I haven't needed to carry it too far yet.

Edited by SubOrbital

• 1 month later...

Look at Nightforce 5.5x22 with high spend turrets and zero stop. Great scope with unbelievable resale value. Many different options on crosshairs and great tech support. Well within you budget and you will be happy. I have shot to 1000 yards with my creedmore and scope combo.