Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge Classification Press Release

ZackJones

Looks like none of the peak times for production changed and I'll still have to shave off 1.76 seconds to make master. I was hoping I would roll right into it with the new updates. Making A on the old system shooting production against an Open gun classification was pretty damn hard for me. Guess I suck more than I thought.

Looks like none of the peak times for production changed and I'll still have to shave off 1.76 seconds to make master. I was hoping I would roll right into it with the new updates. Making A on the old system shooting production against an Open gun classification was pretty damn hard for me. Guess I suck more than I thought.

The production numbers where good based on the review I did. The majority of the work was done to establish the rimfire rifle times as well as CO and PCC times.

Everybody I shoot SC with that has figured out their new classifications for their pre-existing centerfire times has dropped down a bunch. I was only 1.96 seconds away from Master with combined centerfire times (my S&H is faster with Limited vs Open). Now in Open I am at 79.62%, which means I have to shave almost 8 seconds off my Open time to get that M. Kind of a bummer since I was less than 2 seconds away before. Guess that just means I have alot more work to do :blush:

I would expect that for some, but not all divisions. Some PST's were lowered based on a review of the stage winning times from the past two WSSC matches. If you or anyone else wants me to look into specifics let me know.

Considering that Max and others seem to shave shave a few seconds a year of their time and that the time range hadn't been updated in the previous classification system in a very long time, I assumed the GM range would get harder to achieve with the new system.

Considering that Max and others seem to shave shave a few seconds a year of their time and that the time range hadn't been updated in the previous classification system in a very long time, I assumed the GM range would get harder to achieve with the new system.

Originally we were looking at using an average of stage winning times for last two WSSC matches for PST. That didn't work so well because of guys like Max, KC, BJ, etc. they are so fast us mere mortals had no chance of making GM.

Originally we were looking at using an average of stage winning times for last two WSSC matches for PST. That didn't work so well because of guys like Max, KC, BJ, etc. they are so fast us mere mortals had no chance of making GM.

I would tend to agree with this. I see the reasoning behind using percentages based off the best time ever, but I could also see that creating a situation where a -5% time results in less than 5% of the eligible membership achieving the GM rank.

Well as of Monday I will be Master in RFRO, A in PCCO and B in RFPO. I am pretty close to making Master in PCCO also. I was shooting dead in the middle of B for Open but had not shot any sanctioned matches in open since about 2010 when I was in C.

Much as I like my new classifications (well, what will be my new ones, assuming I can do math) I'm thinking that RFPI must be a little generous if I'm going to be a GM right off the bat. :/

M in Production---that makes sense. Overall peak time for Prod seems pretty spot-on, IMO. (From a predominantly Production shooter.)

Was surprised that RFRO was only a tiny bit faster than RFPI. Expected a more significant difference there. (Certainly more than 2.5 seconds.)

I would think RFRO peak times would be a bit lower, Since most shooters are closer to their RFPO scores with it than their RFPI times. I'm sure with time and more data it will be easier to reset these peak times. Maybe annually?

I see that we are using all 8 stages or as many of them as you may have shot for classification now. I didn't notice that at first.....

Those 3 days with Max really helped. I busted a 13.83 in OL today with RFRO which is almost 2 full seconds better than my best previous run. All in the foot work. Also went 3.5s faster in RFPO. In fact went faster in 5 out of 8 stages w/RFPO (4 out of 8 in RFRO).

The next Peacemaker 8-stage SC match will be fully sanctioned. They met the last requirement from USPSA/SCSA this weekend. Because of major events like the Ironman East 3-Gun the remaining SC events in 2016 are the first Saturday in August, November, and December.

Ever watched Junior Kolby Pavlock shoot rimfire irons? He beat BJ in the NSSF last year shooting Limited, and had most of the best stage times to boot.

As for RFRO the reason the numbers are not as low as RFPO is because the pros don't shoot the rimfire rifle (well BJ does but he does not shoot it in SC) so the best rimfire rifle pros are like Ron Oliver and John Nagel and while they are very good they are not Max, KC, or BJ.

Edited by photoracer

Good feedback We looked at a lot of data and made adjustments where it seemed necessary. We will review, annually, after WSSC to see if adjustments are needed. The steel challenge web site will be offline for a while today as we make the necessary changes. If anyone has feedback they want me to make sure gets passed up the food chain email it to me at zack@uspsa.org

Why did they not use the rimfire times from the world shoot last year? That makes a huge difference in my classification...

They should have. I will check. PM me your USPSA number please.

ETA: Found the problem - stage numbers are missing from the results:

http://steelchallenge.com/steel-challenge-display-match-results.php?action=event_index&indx=1836

Edited by ZackJones