Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel clamp necessary?

Shooter212

I have one of the MOA clamps for my M3000 and it has worked without any problems.  Tried it with and without and didn't seem to affect the slug accuracy any.  Must admit that shooting it offhand at 50 yds the groups weren't anything to write home about, but all stayed on the USPSA target.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2018 at 10:23 PM, AustinT said:

Haven't broken mine yet. If I did have one it would be the Taccom style.

? No barrel contact yet available to support tube if it's deflected more than about 0.1".

I'm still using my clamp from POA and I like it fine. Previously had the 'floating' one from MOA and had issues with it turning/loosening the tube during shooting so decided to try the POA 'locked' clamp that fully secures tube to barrel. Lined the inside of the POA clamp with masking tape as per instructions and put it on. I've put quite a few rounds through it now with no tube turning issues like I was having before. Everything is nice and solid. Don't shoot slugs as I'm primarily just a trap/bird shooter so can't speak to that. Never wanted to shoot this gun with extension tube with no clamp. Just didn't sit well with my brain, that tube sitting out there naked with no protection. Plus the clamp adds a cool look to the whole thing.

Extension tubes/clamps aside. If I had it to do all over again, dunno if I would even have got the extension tube. It is cool as hell to have the extra shots and the look is pretty bad ass. But, breaking the gun down now for cleaning is considerably more time consuming being that you now have to remove the clamp and tube spring at each disassembly. Plus the added weight completely changes the feel of the gun. Then there is the explaining to the game warden issue if you went hunting with it (even if you only had 3 shots in the gun at the time, you'd have to see if the game warden was going to give you a break).

POA Clamp.jpg

Edited by Mike89

My Roth Performance XB3gun didn't come with a barrel clamp and Mark said it didn't need one.  Hayes Custom Guns worked on my SBE and removed the clamp.  I asked Aaron about it and he said he didn't use one on his guns.  So I don't know.  I certainly don't see myself chunking my 2500 shotgun very hard into the dump barrel....... 

On 10/4/2018 at 4:45 AM, RangerTrace said:

My Roth Performance XB3gun didn't come with a barrel clamp and Mark said it didn't need one.  Hayes Custom Guns worked on my SBE and removed the clamp.  I asked Aaron about it and he said he didn't use one on his guns.  So I don't know.  I certainly don't see myself chunking my 2500 shotgun very hard into the dump barrel....... 

The XB3gun comes with one of Roth's monotubes, right? If so, then that's the reason why there's no need for a barrel clamp - instead of having a short extension threaded onto the end of the factory tube, it's a single, continuous tube that runs through the handguard and into the receiver. It's a lot more stable and durable, but would be a little bit of an apples-to-orange comparison with a normal extension that just threads onto the factory tube.

That said.... I initially used a barrel clamp with one of those normal threaded-on Nordic extensions, and never had too many issues with shifting the slug POI (it helps if you back the extension off by about half a turn before installing the clamp, so that the magazine tube is pulled towards the barrel instead of the other way around). But after a couple of years, I got sick of needing to go find a screwdriver every time that I wanted to field strip my shotgun for cleaning, so I started running without the clamp, and haven't seen any issues either.

I too found that clamps affected the POI so made a 'stabiliser' out of some snug fitting aluminium tube with a grub screw underneath ( to prevent rotation) and a modified nylon 'terry clip' (UK terminology, possibly a 'tool clip' in the US) to simply locate on the barrel. Without stressing anything it prevents the tube from unscrewing. My extension is made from an old Savage pump tube repurposed.

stablrem(7).JPG.5e01a74e2e8ca40bfb4ff6d19a1e19e2.JPGstabl(5).JPG.9872a007c47df6351c716e0bae544948.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

The aluminum tube is pretty thin where the threads are cut and I have even seen some tubes fail where they screw in the receiver. Throwing them around and in dump barrels I think you can count on failure at some point without supporting a long tube. A longer mono tube is still best IMO.

• 3 weeks later...