Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel clamp necessary?

Shooter212

My m2 shoots slugs way high with a barrel clamp even though you can see the clamp pull the barrel down. I took it off and have been practicing with the clamp off and it shoots slugs like a lazer now. I am wondering if something bad is going to happen without a clamp. I searched on here some and the only thing I could find was I might break the extension tube off. I am running a Nordic and it seems pretty stout.

The clamp is probably moving the tube up more than pulling the barrel down. Nothing bad will happen without the clamp.

Just give the tube a tightening twist ever so often during a match. It may or may not move but it's best to check.

The only thing I ever noticed the clamp do was make the gun shoot slugs terrible. I took mine off and will never use one again. One of mine I put the RCI monotube on and the other is a Nordic on a 28" M2 and it has no problems with a really long extension on it.

I run a clamp and my shot gun shoots slugs well. I have seen those that don't run a clamp break the tube off. Granted they dump their long guns like a javelin. What I do is leave the extension tube lose about 1 turn that allows it to wiggle so the clamp doesn't put any pressure at all on the barrel as it pulls the tube up.

Taccom has a pretty cool option for this conundrum. Their non-clamp attaches firmly to the tube and surrounds the barrel without actually clamping onto it. I guess the idea is that if you dump the gun hard enough to start bending stuff, the clamp/support would help to prevent catastrophic failure by catching on the barrel before the tube bends enough to fail.

Paul has the answer thats worked for me. I dont back off a full turn though. I snug the mag tube up then back it off just enough that it exhibits a fair amount of play up and down. Baybee 1/4 turn at most. Then install the clamp. I also have a section of bicycle innertube under the clamp on the mag tube. Slugs have always shot straight with never any change in impact and my clamp has never moved under recoil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Good topic. I'm way late to reply on this. I recently bought a +4 extension tube from MOA for my Stoeger M3000. I had also bought a tube clamp from them too. I put the extension tube on and then put on the clamp. Clamp did not touch the barrel at all. At first I thought they sent me the wrong clamp. When I talked to them, they told me it is not supposed to touch the barrel and if it did, there could be problems. So at least I know I didn't get the wrong part. So it appears it's not there to actually hard lock the extension tube to the barrel like I thought, it's more for protection.

Edited by Mike89

21 hours ago, Mike89 said:

Good topic. I'm way late to reply on this. I recently bought a +4 extension tube from MOA for my Stoeger M3000. I had also bought a tube clamp from them too. I put the extension tube on and then put on the clamp. Clamp did not touch the barrel at all. At first I thought they sent me the wrong clamp. When I talked to them, they told me it is not supposed to touch the barrel and if it did, there could be problems. So at least I know I didn't get the wrong part. So it appears it's not there to actually hard lock the extension tube to the barrel like I thought, it's more for protection.

MOA has produced an ingenious clamp that floats around the barrel ( to eliminate accuracy robbing pressure on the barrel) while still providing strong support to the mag tube (and the integral QD socket is a plus for attaching a sling)

Hmm. Guess I'm just going to have to find out for myself. I had the MOA clamp on it but wasn't comfortable with it cause it didn't contact the barrel. It ends up just adding some extra weight without actually securing the extension tube to the barrel. I just couldn't see much point in it being there besides adding a little protection. After shooting some rounds through the gun, the tube loosened up a little bit with that clamp on it, I guess from the vibration. Seems the clamp is acting as kind of a wrench turning the extension tube when shooting because it is not fastened to the barrel. The way my head works, I couldn't help but think that clamp was actually adding more stress on the extension tube than without any clamp at all. Went ahead and got the clamp from Nordic and will try that one. Personally I feel much more comfortable with it securing the extension tube and barrel as one. Since I mainly shoot trap with this gun, next time I go I will see if it affects POA. I don't plan on shooting any slugs with it. I talked through email with Nordic about this and they said they recommend the extension tube be slightly loose when securing the Nordic clamp (even though they don't provide any instructions about this with the clamp). They said in this way it minimized stress and POA. I also got another clamp from cheaper than dirt that is made out of plastic. This sounds feasible too thinking plastic might provide more give than metal and make the extension tube and barrel work together in a good way. Time will tell.

Edited by Mike89