Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maximizing points shooting production (or minor pf)

DKnoch

Im a C class shooter and a big part of my problem is dropping points. I want to increase the number of alphas i shoot. Other than having better discipline with the front sight and trigger control what should i work on to improve accuracy? Obviously in practice i need repetitions to improve. And I know I need to improve on my shot calling. But should i pick a specific spot in the A zone to shoot? Ive never done that, for fear I'll go into bullseye mode and shoot way slower than necessary. I shot a 66% classifier by just calling my shots and not trying to make anything happen, so i know i can shoot better. Just curious what has worked for others increasing alphas and points in general shooting production (or minor pf in general).

Another problem i have is i screw up one stage at most matches. Ill do pretty well with just shooting my current level of skill and calling my shots to the best of my ability. But last match just over a week ago, on stage 4, I overran my first shooting position and it was a disaster from there. Or some matches the first stage of the day ill push too hard without realizing it and have a terrible stage. Last match i would've finished 3rd or 4th in production, but because of stage 4 and hitting hardcover on the classifier, i finished 6th in my division (and 22nd overall). If I could stay consistent on the one stage, that I typically screw up, I would be more satisfied. Any help or tips would be appreciated. Forgive me if these are obvious questions/answers

Daniel K

You answered your own question in your 3rd sentence. Your only focus should be to learn to break the shot when your sights tell you to; not one micro second before or after ....

Shoot at the A in the A zone in practice. Shoot groups every session of practice. Shoot at a paster, one single paster. When it is obliterated, draw or tape up something paster sized to keep shooting groups at. I keep a separate target set for groups and zeroing, just a huge cardboard sheet. It allows for a lot of shooting without ruining a Classic or Metric target.

Do the Dots drill. Work on your grip. Beautiful fundamentals are what we are going for.

Being consistent has a lot to do with being relaxed and being able to rigidly adhere to a stage plan that you have mentally walked through dozens of times. Consistency is what is going to carry you through a match with a performance that doesn't involve crapping the bed on a stage every time.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I do listen to steve anderson smitty, and it has helped get my mental game a good bit of the way there, but I've got to get it all the way there.

Dr Mitch, that's several good tips thank you. I do so much better on stages where i can stand back and rehearse every move and target with my eyes closed, then just go call every shot. The stage i bombed, i was first shooter and was helping RO and keep score. Then during walk through time, everyone stands in the middle of the shootint boxes, instead of walking through and circling back around. Even had a few standing there when they were waiting to call load and make ready for me. That's no excuse for not getting the stage plan burned in my head though. I group shoot sometimes, but not every time. And I try to work on grip every dryfire session. Sometimes it gets forsaken a little at matches, but I'm trying to change that. Been using the grip tool again lately, as i can tell a slight difference when i do use it for a bit. Do you do dot drill in live fire? Ive done it in dryfire, but never tried it in live fire.

Daniel K

Shoot at the A in the A zone in practice. Shoot groups every session of practice. Shoot at a paster, one single paster. When it is obliterated, draw or tape up something paster sized to keep shooting groups at. I keep a separate target set for groups and zeroing, just a huge cardboard sheet. It allows for a lot of shooting without ruining a Classic or Metric target.

What distance are you shooting the paster at? Doesn't your sight cover up the paster when aiming?

I like to fire at the Dot Torture Drill ...

Also, your equipment (trigger & sights, especially) could be holding you back.

If your sights are too large or your trigger is gritty, too long or too heavy, you

are fighting your equipment, rather than using it.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that's helped me a bunch is not trying to be perfect with every shot. I try to shoot all alphas but not be so precise. As soon as my sights get back on the a zone I let loose. Most of the time I'm shooting 90-95 % of the points. My alphas are all over the place in the a zone and most of my non A hits are close c's. I basically quit trying to shoot dead center every time. This might be bad advise but it's helped me for now.

I mostly shoot local matches with one major a year so I'm content with my results for now too.

One thing that's helped me a bunch is not trying to be perfect with every shot. I try to shoot all alphas but not be so precise. As soon as my sights get back on the a zone I let loose. Most of the time I'm shooting 90-95 % of the points. My alphas are all over the place in the a zone and most of my non A hits are close c's. I basically quit trying to shoot dead center every time. This might be bad advise but it's helped me for now.

I mostly shoot local matches with one major a year so I'm content with my results for now too.

"A's and close C's" is the phrase I head Ben Stoeger use during his class about two dozen times in 4 days. I'd say you're onto something, if the national champ in Production is teaching the same approach.

Trying to shoot all A's... but at a pace aggressive enough that one shot in every half dozen or so is going to wander an inch or two outside that scoring zone.

Edited by MemphisMechanic