Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting all over again

If you were starting all over again,right hand shoot left  eye dominant where would you start? Tape over lense or just close left eye and learn to handle the added tension. I have just started to shoot with both eyes and would like some advise where to start. I have shot for 2 years and have improved a whole bunch with one eye shooting with iron sights. I do shoot race gun with optics with both eyes. I know you have done it all and would I like to see where you would start all over again.

Thanks Louie

I found that using a patch (flip down lense with black tape on the inside) works well for me. It takes away the tension and is not distracting like the clear tape was for me. There is no squinting and the related tension. You don't even notice it after a few minutes.(I have no eye dominate eye and 20/20 vision) I have tried everything I have ever heard suggested and this $8 trick worked best for me. If you have mild dominace you might try adding a darker lense to one eye, that worked well enough for shooting open, but not limited. I have spent a lot of time and $$$ trying to figure this one out, spend the $8 for the 1st suggestion and let me know what you think.

Like Duane said, there's many posts on this topic... and Loves2shoot summed it up nicely by saying that you have to experiment and see what works best for you. Everyone's eyesight is sooo different, there's just isn't "one way."

In addition, with some (dry and range) practice, you can learn to squint the non-aiming eye while at the same time opening the aiming eye slightly wider than normal - simulating stop-action photos of top athletes when they were REALLY focused on catching or hitting a ball, for example.

be