Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&p over inserted magazine? Dead trigger!

Bwidpa

i switched powders for a recent big match to 231, which I found to be more dirty and clogged my mag release, causing it to stay pushed in when I released the mag from slide lock. I did a reload, which I purposefully do hard enough to release the slide. But, with no mag release to catch the mag, it over inserted and wouldn't allow my gun to go into battery. I disassembled it, cleaned it, and looked it over, but ever since have been plagued by occasional dead triggers (no reset) !! I have changed springs ( it had 7k rounds) and adjusted the trigger bar loop, but still keeps giving me trouble! My last guess is that when I over inserted the mag it slightly bent my trigger bar? Has anyone else had this happen or have any ideas? Have a new trigger bar on the way, just want to cover my bases before my next match. Thanks

. I did a reload hard enough to release the slide., it over inserted and wouldn't allow my gun to go into battery.

​When you have the slide locked back, you have to be gentle on inserting the mag - never done it with an M&P, but same

​is true with a BHP or a 1911/2011.

As far as I can tell from some other problem I had, it is not possible to over-insert a magazine in a full size (or Pro) M&P.

It is very easy to over-insert a full size mag into a compact or an extended mag into a Shield if you take off the mag spacer. When you (I) do that it bends the crap out of the ejector.

I did find that using TF mag extensions on an M&P 40 allowed the mag to be inserted just slightly higher, not enough to bend or damage anything, but it would occasionally seem to "lock" back when (during cycling) the mag would bounce farther into the mag well than one with a stock basepad and the top round would hold the slide back. The slide release wouldn't be locked back so that did nothing, had to pull and release the slide from the rear.

I base my assertion that you can't over-insert a mag into a full size M&P based on trying to do that both with the top end on and off the gun. If I held the grip and pressed down firmly on the TF extended mag while racking the slide, it would get stuck back. Sometimes in a match I would go 20 rounds without it happening, sometimes it would happen 10 times in a row.

I tried the same thing with the extensions on 9mm mags and it never happens when using 9.

I don't have input on the problem...

But make it a habit to rest your thumb atop the slide release while you draw your fresh magazine and insert it into the gun.

Then you don't have to slam a mag into the gun and abuse it into auto-forwarding. A more traditional amount of mag-seating force will bump the frame upward into your waiting thumb, giving you that same swift reload without forcing things.

• 3 weeks later...

The only time I had a dead trigger is when the slide is not in full battery. Just a hair out and no trigger. I give it a wack on the back. I found some of my brass a very minor damage on the head rim. This caused me to case gauge every round now.

Do you still have the take down lever parts in the gun? (the little yellow lever inside the mag well that you push down to lower the sear for disassembly) I remove these on every trigger that I work on and tell my customers to pull the trigger to take the top end off the gun. Does your gun have the magazine disconnect? Have you had a trigger job performed? I've fixed a few sporadic failure to reset issues but almost always they are battery related and not trigger group related.