Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Infinity for CCW or other options?

davidwiz

I got a quote of $4,500 for an commander-sized Infinity for CCW with a 12-15 month wait ($1k deposit, balance when ready to ship).

Or, I can get a similar modular CCW gun from a former EGW gunsmith, Jim Milks, for about $1,000 less with much less wait (I've worked with Jim before at EGW and am very impressed with his work). Is the Infinity that much better/worth it, or, like some other things, you are paying for the name? By comparison, a Salient Arms wide body commander 1911 is $4,500 (seems to be a Caspian frame) with about a 8 month wait (and they will give you a loaner gun if your's is taken into evidence after a lawful use of it).

I don't know anyone who has a recent vintage Infinity (I've shot some of their older factory limited guns 15+ years ago and they were well built).

From the standpoint of a competition gun I'd say the SV is definitely worth it. If you have the money to burn then go for it. I think that you can get a very decent carry gun for a lot less money though and use that SV coin for a gamer gun.

For a carry gun, what do you really need? It serves a single purpose, to protect you in the unlikely but very real possibility of grave bodily harm. Doesn't need to be pretty, or have some fancy metal grip or pretty slide cuts. It just needs to work. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

If I wanted to carry a double stack 1911 for my CCW, I would get an STI Guardian, test the crap out of it with my carry ammo, and be done with it. Al frame with a stainless slide, should wear better and be more corrosion resistant than pretty much any carbon steel gun with a finish.

I agree with caz41. SV is awesome for a game gun, but I see zero reason to drop that kind of coin on a carry gun that will be hopefully as reliable as a 500 dollar Glock or a 350 dollar Ruger or something. My Ruger SR9c that I carry has been more reliable than the Glocks I owned (which were still pretty dang reliable), and cost me all of like 410 bucks, out the door including the BG. It is accurate, shoots well, has a great trigger, it's light, and it's reliable. What more could you want?

My 2 cents, take it for what its worth.

Depends on what your expectations are and what you're comfortable spending. Keep in mind that with the Infinity, every single part of the pistol will be top of the line in every aspect, including material, machining, fit, finish, etc. Plus you can have it built pretty much any way you want. It's up to you whether that's worth the difference in cost and wait time. As far as Infinity being worth it for a competition gun vs. carry gun, chances are you're going to spend a lot more time with your carry gun than your competition gun, so that really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Is spending 2-10 times as much going to make it any more comfortable to carry? Will it make you more likely to carry it?

Would the SV be an awesome gun? Hell yeah! Fantastic to show off? Definitely! More effective if it ever needs to be used in a defensive scenario...?

This is a classic case of "first world problems"... Do I have to spend the $4500 and wait or just $3500 and have it sooner? Decisions, decisions...

In your scenario, likely the answer is that you need to invest in whatever you are most likely to have with you if it is ever needed.

Edited by wgj3

If you are ever forced to use your CCW it will end up in a police locker for a long time.

Not always. If that was the case, I wouldn't carry them on duty. Maybe things vary from State to State, but I wouldn't let that part change my decision. I'd worry more about the wear of daily carry than that........I've converted to tools for carry guns for that very reason. I save my Infinity pistols for special occasions and competitions

Umm duty weapons are obviously a different category. The two CCW holders I personally know who have discharged their weapons both had to lawyer up to get their weapons back. Your mileage may vary but their experiences definitely influenced the decision keep the cost down of my CCW rotation.

I wanted a competition style 1911 for a carry gun, since I compete with one, use one for HD, and just generally like that platform. I wanted single stack, since I tried carrying a 2011 for a while and didn't like it. So I built a springfield Range Officer Compact 9mm. Had the slide tri topped, added my favorite sights, cleaned up the internals as needed, slapped on some green laser grips. I'll get it refinished once I get some free time and dehorn it myself.

For me, this was a great solution. It feels and cycles like a competition gun, I have a nice sight radius in a caliber I respect, a good trigger, and thin package, all for probably $1200 once you factor in the work, parts, shipping, holsters and belt.

If I was going to go to a double stack, I would get an STI VIP or the new version, guardian. Great guns, and run and run if you don't screw with the mags to increase capacity. Do whatever upgrades you see fit, but I don't think you need to spend half of what you're talking about.

Personally I'm not worried about losing a a gun after a CCW use, since it will have clearly served it's purpose and was worth whatever was paid for it. I wanted a platform that worked, shot well, carried well, and I liked.

With $4500 for a carry gun, I would rebuild what I made in the Range Officer. Then I would build a Range officer Operator set up the same for HD. then I would build a decent short AR to keep in the truck. And buy a Walther PPS for all those times I want to be armed but without a belt (gym, walking the dog, when it's hot and just running to redbox, etc.) then I would buy an STI double stack tactical to train/compete with.

I would never feel undergunned! do any of those look as sexy or have the bragging rights of an SVI? not so much. But will I have one of them when I need it? Bet your ass.

I like the idea of a single stack 1911 commander/officer for carry but a few years ago I read about this guy who got into a gunfight with his Dan wesson commander and it jammed multiple times during the battle from his account. The aggressor had a J frame I believe, and he may have got more hits on the victim than vice versa which would be surprising. I think the guy got arrested after the fact when seeking treatment or from a blood trail. This story really checked my idea of getting something similar.

At the end of the day, whatever it is needs to work

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

not always, I have worked several civilian shootings and the defendant gets their weapon back in a reasonably quick time. I guess It may be different in other jusidictions but in N.E. Alabama we have a good turn around time.

I like the idea of a single stack 1911 commander/officer for carry but a few years ago I read about this guy who got into a gunfight with his Dan wesson commander and it jammed multiple times during the battle from his account. The aggressor had a J frame I believe, and he may have got more hits on the victim than vice versa which would be surprising. I think the guy got arrested after the fact when seeking treatment or from a blood trail. This story really checked my idea of getting something similar.

and I've read stories about guys emptying double stack Glock 17s and never hitting the bad guy. I believe what you carry needs to be a tested combination of gear. All components. Gun, mags, holsters, ammo, etc. My totally uneducated guess is that the guy above with the Dan Wesson is that one of those wasn't tested or proven to work.

I really think you should get the biggest thing you're honestly willing to always have with you. I loved the STI tactical 45, but it was a beast and would sit in the safe. I have a Walther PPS that I like less (more recoil, fewer rounds, not pretty). But I had it on me this morning on my pre-dawn dog walk with the baby where we encountered a family of coyotes. They decided to go the other way, but a single stack 9mm in my hand was worth way more to me than a double stack back home next to the bed.

and I've read stories about guys emptying double stack Glock 17s and never hitting the bad guy. I believe what you carry needs to be a tested combination of gear. All components. Gun, mags, holsters, ammo, etc. My totally uneducated guess is that the guy above with the Dan Wesson is that one of those wasn't tested or proven to work.

I really think you should get the biggest thing you're honestly willing to always have with you. I loved the STI tactical 45, but it was a beast and would sit in the safe. I have a Walther PPS that I like less (more recoil, fewer rounds, not pretty). But I had it on me this morning on my pre-dawn dog walk with the baby where we encountered a family of coyotes. They decided to go the other way, but a single stack 9mm in my hand was worth way more to me than a double stack back home next to the bed.

I agree with that.

Hello: I am of the theory that more guns the better. Summer shorts carry a Ruger LCP works great in the pocket. For side carry inside the waistband a Glock 19 or the STI VIP you have are great. Big heavy guns get very heavy after 5 hours. The VIP does not need much to make it better, I didn't do much to mine at all. Thanks, Eric

Personal preference, carry guns should be loose enough to go bang and cycle all ammo, like a glock. 2011 are game guns, who gives a hoot about a 50 yard guarantee when a life or death situation is 10 feet or closer. USPSA guns like 2011 should be stay in the "game" gun category, self defense guns should be loose and reliable to fire.

Why does it need to be loose or tight, how about reliable? My 1911 is as reliable as my glock was (except when really dirty). Though I carry a CZ, also reliable. I'd like a carry 19/2011 someday. I don't understand why a $4000 gun wouldn't be reliable, if it wasn't I'd send it back.

Personal preference, carry guns should be loose enough to go bang and cycle all ammo, like a glock. 2011 are game guns, who gives a hoot about a 50 yard guarantee when a life or death situation is 10 feet or closer. USPSA guns like 2011 should be stay in the "game" gun category, self defense guns should be loose and reliable to fire.

I saw a lot of Glock "Imperfection" at a match yesterday. I think if you can't maintain a gun a loose plastic pistol might be the right choice.

I saw a lot of Glock "Imperfection" at a match yesterday. I think if you can't maintain a gun a loose plastic pistol might be the right choice.

Most of the time if you see a Glock malfunction, it's because the shooter has modified it.......hard to blame the gun for that.

Most of the time if you see a Glock malfunction, it's because the shooter has modified it.......hard to blame the gun for that.

I agree with RangerTrace... In fact, the FBI has awarded a contract to GLOCK to arm it's agents.