Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HK Expert 9mm

apetrulis01

Just got my HK Expert in 9mm from Heckler and Koch. Before it left the LEM trigger was worked over by Jesse at HK. I will be posting pics and videos soon. I am going to start shooting it in Production and 3 gun. Shoots flat. Only thing is the recoil spring is heavier so my 147gr minor loads won't cycle it reliably. Went to 115gr and it shot very accurate at 25 yards!!!

Thanks,

Adam

Follow me on:

Instagram: Adam_Petrulis_HK

Twitter: Petrulis_HK

Facebook: Adam Petrulis Competitive Shooter

OK, so I ran the Expert in a local Thursday night USPSA match. I was using factory 115gr stuff that is pretty hot. While the gun is really accurate I was outrunning the gun and was waiting for the follow up shots. Other shooters were commenting on how they could see the slide moving back and forth.

I switch back to my VP9 on the last stage and finished 4 overall on the stage I did win production that night but I usually place a lot higher then 8th overall. Usually in the top 5 of all shooters.

Needless to say I will try to find a way how I can lighten the recoil spring. Just giving everyone an update.

Thanks,

Adam

Does the 9mm Expert have the same dual recoil spring type setup the .45 Expert does? My Expert in .45 will shoot some incredibly light target loads, I wouldnt think the 9mm version would have any trouble cycling 147gr minor PF ammo. I do get that same slow slide feeling you are talking about but since I dont run mine in any comps Ive never tried shooting it super fast. It is incredibly accurate though.

If the 9mm is as accurate as the .45 version I wouldnt mind having one. With the right load and doing my part well my .45 Expert will shoot one ragged, pretty small hole at 25 yds from a rest.

OK, so I ran the Expert in a local Thursday night USPSA match. I was using factory 115gr stuff that is pretty hot. While the gun is really accurate I was outrunning the gun and was waiting for the follow up shots. Other shooters were commenting on how they could see the slide moving back and forth.

I switch back to my VP9 on the last stage and finished 4 overall on the stage I did win production that night but I usually place a lot higher then 8th overall. Usually in the top 5 of all shooters.

Needless to say I will try to find a way how I can lighten the recoil spring. Just giving everyone an update.

Thanks,

Adam

Yep I found the same thing when I tried one. Decent trigger, wonderfully accurate, handles well, but way over sprung. I'll be interested in what you come up with.

I was talking to the HK gunsmith and he said the spring that comes in the Expert is a lighter spring already. I am going to get back with him and see if I can clip a few coils off the recoil spring. I will let you know.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I ordered a 10lb recoil spring from Wolff springs (didn't know they had aftermarket USP recoil springs). Hopefully I will get it mid week and will try it out next Saturday in the 3 gun match.

Thanks,

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I got the 10lb recoil spring. I put it in and racking the slide I think the 10lb might be heavier then factory spring. I am going to go to the range on Wednesday and try it out. I will keep post with the results.

Thanks,

Adam

I've noticed Wolff springs always seemed to feel a bit heavier than advertised. Probably because I had gotten used to the worn out one I was replacing. I tried making my Expert a game gun; I changed sights, went to a match LEM trigger and messed with the recoil springs. I even had a gunsmith friend make me a really light spring for my Expert, it was 8 or 9 lbs I believe. Anyway, I ride the slide thumbs forward and kept stopping the gun. It was frustrating and kind of comical at the same time. I found the HK Combat Competition to be a better balance overall for me. The only thing I didn't like on the CC was the rear sight notch was so narrow. I like a little more light on either side. Other than that, that large fiber optic Novak front sight on the CC really glows bright...and my rear sight complaint is easily remedied by a call to Dawson Precision.

Maybe I'll run some of my 165gr 9mm through her and start messing with it again. Got to love tinkering in this sport.