Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington R1 OAL?

usa259

Load a few unprimed cases at different lengths with the bullet you plan to use and Plunk Test them to determine the maximum length you can load in your barrel. After that, check with a few in each magazine to make sure they aren't too long for all the magazines.

Always always always redo the plunk test with any change in bullets as well. They might look the same, but different brands vary ever so slightly. Pulling lots of rounds is not fun, and neither is shooting everything single shot.

Thank you for the suggestions. Reloading manuals are suggesting, bullet shape dependent, between 1.155" to 1.225". Does seem like the place to start and from my 40 S&W reloading it seems that manual suggested COL's are on the shorter side of what can be cambered or fit in a mag.

Just about to start loading for the 45 to be used in the R1. Anyone found the max OAL?

Being that I also have an R1 I am curious to know what bullets you're using and what you've determined your OAL will be for those bullets?

Current bullets are xtreme 200 gr RN, miss ordered. Ordering xtreme 230 RN today as free shipping is in play... I hope to do some trials this weekend; I'll let you know what I come up with

Edited by usa259

Plunk test is part of it. How the feed lips of the mag and its relationship to the barrel ramp also matter. And the barrel hood. I had a Gold Cup that wouldn't feed any SWC under 1.250. Ever. They would bounce off the feeds ramp and jam into the barrel hood. They all passed the plunk test. Start with the plunk test then shoot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plunk test is part of it. How the feed lips of the mag and its relationship to the barrel ramp also matter. And the barrel hood. I had a Gold Cup that wouldn't feed any SWC under 1.250. Ever. They would bounce off the feeds ramp and jam into the barrel hood. They all passed the plunk test. Start with the plunk test then shoot!

• 6 months later...

so this past weekend i finaly got around to figuring out the COAL for the xtreme 200gr RNFP, started at 1.225, which would plunk or feed from mag. settled on target length of 1.220 1.205 which feed from mag.  Will load up the first 50 at this length with some different powders chargers and test out...

Edited by usa259
decimal place challenged I am