Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Handling slug targets-Front and rear sight advice for Shotty

VU2AKILL

After a match this weekend where they had some longer(out to 100 yards) shots with slugs, I began thinking how nice it would be to have confidence walking up to those. I can hit them in practice but the time it takes to get lined up is unacceptable in a match under the clock. I am shooting a Stoeger M3K and have been looking at the Truglo Pro-Gobble turkey sights. They look simple and seem like they are perfect for lining up on slug targets. BUT will they hamper my quick shooting on all the steel and possible flying clays that a majority of the match is about. I did a search and was not coming up with much for answers. Please feel free to recommend other systems...10/22 rear, XS etc. Really wanted to try something before I modded the gun but am pretty open to suggestions. Thanks

You look at sights for flying targets?

I originally had a 10-22 sight on my M2, it was okay, but I had to deepen the notch a lot to get a consistent slug hit. I was looking through the old parts and found a Novak low mount read. I altered the Novak to fit the smaller dovetail of the 10-22 sight, and it is much better. On a gun that had no dovetail already cut, I would go with the XS, which I did on the Versa Max in the safe.

I have gotten away from a raised rear sight. I utilize the high viz triangle fiber up front and have used a permanent sharpe marker to draw a windage line where the rib starts to raise. Works like a charm and leaves me an unimpeded sight picture. ec4f9459efcd04018475c3ad3a07f325.jpge0ad54e26a55b2c80bcb49c072bda0f0.jpgd374a77006fd54abcaac5988770c0433.jpg