Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Simmons Scopes

Sam

I've heard a lot of good about the upper end Simmons scopes. One in particular that I might want to own is the 6.5X20 mil-dot 44 Mag. The thing that scares me is the relatively low price. Typically, with scopes, we get what we pay for. I've shot with a couple and they looked fine. But, I did not have the opportunity to run the zeros all over the place and back.

Here is my concern: Are the zero settings totally repeatable on these scopes?

My preference is to "dial" the setting for elevation and "hold off" mil-dots for windage. Typically I mark the knobs with zeros from 100 to 800 yards. This leads to alot of knob turning. My Leupold MK III is totally reliable on returning to zero every time. (I love this scope.) Does anyone employ this technique with a Simmons? Will they take it?

Thanks Benny! I was hoping to hear from you. (You are da man on Simmons!) :D

I may go ahead and buy one. But, It'll be for one of my hunting rigs where I'm not cranking the dials all the time.

Last I knew , Simmons Scopes are neither the low cost end of the Japanese makers (which does tend to be shakey on quality) nor Chinese (low quality AND money to a communist regime) but from the Phillipine Islands, which is an English speaking and primarily Christian country that is trying to build both its reputation and economy, sort of like Japan in the 60's. Everything I have seen from them has been pretty high quality, and I mind sending my money there a whole lot less than to China.

Billski

I have an old Simmons Whitetail Classic 4 x 12. I added Stoney Point target knobs and although I was slow, I hit all the targets at the 2003 3 Gun National Manual gun side match long range stage ranging to 600 yards by dialing in my predetermined come-ups.