Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 handgun

Oleg

I've owned about 6 or 7 Marvel units over the past several years. (No problems, just sold to other shooters when they saw how well they shot and just got newer ones over the years).

I can tell you that some Marvel units (or rather some lowers) will enable the Marvel work well without the sight rib. Others will not and there will usually be significant feed problems and don't waste your time trying to make it work.

On my guns neither the weaver rail nor the open sight rail had enough clearance for my Springfield A. Aimpoint Comp Scope mount (although it is a very low mount).

The only thing I can say is give it a try.

Cecil

Edited by cr10x

I have an absolutely horrible jerk SHO and WHO. It's a lot better since I started putting 150 to 200 rounds each practice session into SHO/WHO, using my 22/45. No, it isn't the same as my 40's, neither recoil nor grip/trigger wise. But it's been a cheap way for me to put a lot of attention and practice into the problem.

my two cents...

Kevin C

Edited by kevin c

• 2 weeks later...
Is it possible to run a Marvel .22 conversion without either rail attached?  I'm concerned that the weaver version might not clear my scope mount (bonus would be I would only have to buy the iron-sight version)

I bought the iron sight model and a weaver mount along with it. Originally I used it on my open gun frame which had a C-more mounted on a Alchin mount. The weaver rail wouldn't fit so I just kept it off. It shot fine. I would get some jams(stovepipe) where the brass hit the scope mount and went back in.

Now I just use my limited gun frame. I added the steel compensator to add some weight. If I remember right there is about 3oz different between the two now.

Flyin40

edited...this thread is 5 years old :blink:

is that good or bad ... its still helping me i'm just 5 years behind the times :) I love my marvel 22 ... and it works even better with the top rail off ! (just learned I could take it off yesterday reading this thread). so far it is helping me with everything . I was shooting the plate rack at 50 yards and hitting it with a 22! Its a real confidence builder !

I only have about 2000 rounds through it ...so I hope it keeps helping as I progress.

if I could figure out how to make the mags work all the time! :blink: but that's another topic

C38

edited...this thread is 5 years old :blink:

is that good or bad ... its still helping me i'm just 5 years behind the times :) I love my marvel 22 ... and it works even better with the top rail off ! (just learned I could take it off yesterday reading this thread). so far it is helping me with everything . I was shooting the plate rack at 50 yards and hitting it with a 22! Its a real confidence builder !

I only have about 2000 rounds through it ...so I hope it keeps helping as I progress.

if I could figure out how to make the mags work all the time! :blink: but that's another topic

C38

OK, you made me re post it. I also did a search on .22-rimfire etc. not much on this site.

So here we go.

Way you should pick your .22 ------->Kimber006.jpg

1911 .22 and 1911 .45 B) an excellent understudy for my .45

.22 will help you to get tons of trigger time for no money. (I just finished a 1300 round session today with the .22 it cost me....well $9 for 550 - a brick B) beat this)

.22 will help you to work on your fundamentals, it even recoils. No you won't get the feeling of your .44 magnum but it will teach you to see fast if you are ready to learn.

You can practice all your drills, little bang is more fun then no bang.

With the .22 you can learn everything except the recoil control of you big caliber business gun, but it did helped me a lot how to control it's big brother....I stopped muscling it.

Remember, or "cultivate" the feeling of how "calm and easy" it is to shoot, when you're shooting your .22, and then remember to transfer that feeling to other guns by "invoking" the feeling.
This is what I meant to say...I guess I have a hard time expressing myself. :D

I'm averaging about 5000 rounds thru my .22 monthly what is a lot of exercise.

Well nothing beats dry firing in my book, don't get it wrong.

In my opinion if you can easily afford it go for it you wont regret it. Try to buy the same platform if it is available.

I would say it made me a better shooter...

Get some Ciener 15 rounders from Brownells. Trust me on this. B)

Edited by TheHun

So today I went to the range wanting to work on some things with the 22 to get alot of repetitions.

I finished up with the Open gun with full power loads........

Heres what I found out.........

My runs were the same speed with my open gun and my best run was with the open gun.

I use a Marvel Conversion with an almost identical bottom end as my open gun, same trigger etc.

I would say this would only be with an open gun. The weight of my Marvel Conversion is 40oz and the weight of the open gun is 44oz, pretty close, same holster etc. Because of the recoil or lack of in open division I can transfer my 22 practice directly to my open gun.

With a limited setup the increased recoil with full power loads would make timing an issue switching back and forth.

Flyin40

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have an absolutely horrible jerk SHO and WHO. It's a lot better since I started putting 150 to 200 rounds each practice session into SHO/WHO, using my 22/45. No, it isn't the same as my 40's, neither recoil nor grip/trigger wise. But it's been a cheap way for me to put a lot of attention and practice into the problem.

Update:

Well, it paid off.

My (admittedly miniscule) moment of glory came in our sectional match where I actually beat a noted GM on one part of one stage. On a hard lean around a corner, hanging off a handle w/ the weak hand, I took four clean shots on two stacked partials with a NS sandwiched between, while the GM took seven shots. Granted his seven shots took only a little longer than my four, and he clobbered me (and the rest of the field) on the rest of the course, but hey, now I know that, working on each of my (many) shooting deficiencies, that I can get there. :D