Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 handgun

Oleg

Hi there!

What do you think about good .22 handgun?

Would it help to improve my IPSC skills?

I usually shoot about 400 rounds during a weekend with Glock 34  and with cheep 22 ammo I could add another 500.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Oleg.

I have a .22 top end for my kimber.  It has made for very cheap and effective steel practice but that's about it.  The gun with the conversion is a LOT lighter and it dosen't recoil at all so it's worthless for double tap practice.  I only had marginal sucsess using it for PPC practice.  I don't regret buying it as it's great for steel (kicks butt) but it didn't do as much for my over all shooting as I thought it would.  I found dry firing to be the best "no-cost" practice.

Oleg,

22's are great! Remember, or "cultivate" the feeling of how "calm and easy" it is to shoot, when you're shooting your .22, and then remember to transfer that feeling to other guns by "invoking" the feeling. To me, invoking means to consciously "call forth," or to deliberately "bring to mind."

be

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a .22 Marvel top end for my Para, and I love it! Same sights, trigger and grip as the major gun, but, as John says, *much* lighter. I am currently working mainly on accuracy drills, and the 22 really *shows me the light* wrt trigger press. With the 22 it is very easy to concentrate on the trigger press feeling that it takes to (e.g.) put 6 shots in the A at 25 y in 5 sec or so. And as Brian says, I am attempting to take that particular feeling over to shooting the .40 top end. As an aside, one never runs out of 22 ammo...

--Detlef

Is it possible to run a Marvel .22 conversion without either rail attached?  I'm concerned that the weaver version might not clear my scope mount (bonus would be I would only have to buy the iron-sight version)

oops.. The Marvel .22 conversion top-end has a removable "sight rail" at the top of the slide.  They have two interchangeable sight rails that go there: a weaver base version and an iron-sight version.  I was wondering if the conversion works without either sight-rail installed

Shred,

No, the Marvel will not work without a sight rail. It's an integral part of the slide. It basically acts as the top of the slide. (Even though it doesn't really "slide". It remains fixed. You may have to see it to understand what I mean.)

I don't think you'll have clearance issues with the weaver sight rail. If your slide clears the scopt mount, the weaver rail should too.

Detlef,

Glad to hear you like the Marvel top-end. I just recently got mine. But, haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Maybe I'll get a chance this weekend.

• 1 year later...

.22's are great for any skill level, I see no point to shrotening one to make it near useless for accuracy, Instead I'd throw a dot on it if you shoot open or a BoMar type sight (picture) if you shoot limited.

Some of the best practice I ever did was shooting .22 rifle sillhouettes with a .22 pistol at 40, and 60m. You really have to pay attention if you're going to knock them down

My Marvel copnversion is almost the top of the list of favorite guns I own.  It is accurate enough for the National Championships, bullseye type, and a dream to shoot.

As far as practice value is concerned: If it has sights and a trigger, then it equates to practice, if you use it as such.

Tom Skeer

(Edited by THS at 6:01 am on Dec. 18, 2002)

Why is it so much easier to shoot super accurately with a .22?

a. Low recoil/blast means no flinch at all

b. It's not our IPSC gun, so there's no expectation, pressure, or mindset/habit.

c. .22s are just more accurate

d. it's just plain fun, and does neet feel like work or practice, further enhancing relaxation.

Whaddayathink?

SA

I've got a dot on my 22/45 and with it I can hit 5 plates in about half the time it takes to do it with my open blaster.  My open gun is kind of a new thing for me so I am sure that has a LOT to do with it.  The blast and recoil, as Steve mentioned, make the .38 super a whole different ball game.  I still gain good practice with the .22 though.  Picking up the dot, transitioning to the next target, calling shots, and probably a bunch of other stuff, are all enhanced by shooting the .22.

-ld

I have a Ciener top end for my Kimber .45.  It works just fine, but if I had it to do over, I'd get the Kimber top end, just to get the same sights, or I'd get the Marvel top end, because it looks like a really solid piece of gear.  The rear sight notch on the Ciener is pretty shallow, and the corners in the notch aren't sharp.  

You should be able to get a .22 conversion for your Glock, and that way, you get the same grip and trigger (and possibly the same sight picture) as you do when shooting in competition.

I think you can get a lot of training value out of a .22.  Target transitions, and long range shooting, especially, and just slow fire trigger control work.

Good luck,

DogmaDog

I have and use a AACK unit for my Glock 17. The only fault I can see is the fact the unit is made out of aluminum and as a result, does not 'feel' like a Glock (if you think a Glock is light, put an aluminum slide on it!

It has it's place, but nothing really takes the place of using the competition gun with competition ammo!

I bought a .22 upper for this winter (I can't afford to lose all my brass in the snow) I have identical sights and this will be the first year I shoot regularly in the winter. My theory is shooting with little recoil and a little bang is better than no recoil and no bang. I'll see if it is correct in the spring.

I've got a 22 top end for the tupperware.  My advice:  buy 20 mags and load them up in advance.  Otherwise, your thumb will damn near fall off from loading them so much - especially when it's cold.  Ouch!  Loading regular mags is a joy after messing with the 22 mags.

The 22 conversions are heap big fun and certainly are valuable for stuff that we generally don't dedicate a lot of ammo for.  As far as I'm concerned, any trigger time is good trigger time.  

I've got a Wislon .22 top end on my Combat Commander and I Love it!  It has amazed all my shooting buddies with how accurate it is!  Due to my current financial situation (putting two kids through college on one income!) it gets MUCH more use than my .45 top end!  I say buy one and have fun.  Seems to me that as long as you keep the same focus on what you are doing as you do when you practice with your regular blaster, it can't really Hurt anything.  Plus it is fun.

EricW:  I hear you on the thumb comment!  I have my step-daughter help me load all 15 of my mags before I leave the house!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
I bought a .22 upper for this winter (I can't afford to lose all my brass in the snow) I have identical sights and this will be the first year I shoot regularly in the winter. My theory is shooting with little recoil and a little bang is better than no recoil and no bang. I'll see if it is correct in the spring.

So how did it work out ... I am wondering how you liked it ... as you were already a good shooter ... did it help? i bought the marvel so i guess its a little late to ask. I would also love to hear how you use it as you put alot of thought into your practice/shooting.

thanks

c-38

Hmm, It's been a few years, but it had so little recoil it didn't do much for me. It has sit in the safe for the years since then. I break it out for my nephews once in a great while.

I found out, for me, it was pretty much just like dry fire, just colder.

Learning to see through recoil (limited gun) is something that I always need to work on.

You can go wicked fast with a .22 though.

Switching to the .22 for a Steel Challenge match for three months in a row didn't help me at all when I returned to a .45. My times were actually slower on several stages when I went back to the .45.

I can see how it would help learning how to hit while coming into position. I slightly improved on Outer Limits, and times were more consistent.

Hmm, It's been a few years, but it had so little recoil it didn't do much for me. It has sit in the safe for the years since then. I break it out for my nephews once in a great while.

I found out, for me, it was pretty much just like dry fire, just colder.

Learning to see through recoil (limited gun) is something that I always need to work on.

You can go wicked fast with a .22 though.

I was hopping you would say it was the best purchase you ever made...

even in 2002 you where probably a more advanced shooter than I am so Hopefully it will help me out a little bit. I shot it for the first time tonight and I have to say it was fun to shoot and like you said wicked fast ! maybe it will motivate me into more practice time. Seem like every one pretty much agrees on them not helping a lot ...strange that they don't help out more. I was hoping it would be like shooting open and then shooting limited. After I learned to shoot faster with the open gun it was easy to carry that over to my limited gun. At least when I remember to use both the red dot (front sight ) and the rear sight at the same time.

well I'm stuck with it ... so i better get some use out of it .. it is fun !

C-38