Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt Competition 1911 - thoughts and recommendations

dthomas1003

Here's my initial impression. Overall, I like it, but it is not competition ready.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvTVp3kgWw8

This is one of the videos that helped me with the decision to buy one. My wife needed a short notice replacement for her game gun. I swapped all the competition specific parts from her game gun and its competition ready now. Definitely needed magwell, re-springing, and mag release change. Super easy.

Here's my initial impression. Overall, I like it, but it is not competition ready.

This is one of the videos that helped me with the decision to buy one. My wife needed a short notice replacement for her game gun. I swapped all the competition specific parts from her game gun and its competition ready now. Definitely needed magwell, re-springing, and mag release change. Super easy.

Thanks! I bought it for my daughter. I have to say that it runs like a sewing machine and is very accurate. I did the same stuff you did and I am really pleased. Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm ordering one of these in 9mm through a group purchase.  I've never owned a 1911 anything, so this should be fun.  Trigger jobs pretty easy to do?  I usually play with CZ's.  Do yall use the ICE magwells with or without the gap?  I plan on purchasing mags from dawson.  

I forgot to mention I have a full length, two piece guide rod sitting at home somewhere.  Got it at a match.  Should I swap that in with some springs to play with?  I think it's a Wilson.  I shoot an almost identical 9mm load to the one mentioned earlier in the thread.  

I forgot to mention I have a full length, two piece guide rod sitting at home somewhere.  Got it at a match.  Should I swap that in with some springs to play with?  I think it's a Wilson.  I shoot an almost identical 9mm load to the one mentioned earlier in the thread.  

I work at an indoor range, I've had to retrieve a number of 2 piece guide rods from well downrange for customers. They tend to loosen up, I use 1 piece rods.