Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Working up loads for 9mm, SNS and Blue Bullets Titegrpup

LabMan

I just got my Dillon xl650 a couple weeks ago. I love it. It is consistent and easy to use.

I shoot IDPA.

I am working up 125 and 147 grain loads with Blue Bullets and SNS Castings.

My gun, Glock 19, likes SNS the best so far, I think.

The loads that I have liked so far:

125 grain SNS RN

3.7 grain Titegrpup

CCI primer

1.113 OAL

147 grain SNS RN

3.1 grain Titegrpup

CCI primer

1.30 OAL

What do you guys think?

How critical is OAL?

How does that affect accuracy?

I check all my rounds through a go-nogo gauge.

I'm new so any help would be appreciated.

I'm reading Lyman 49th reloading handbook.

Edited by LabMan

OAL affects functioning, accuracy and pressure - all pretty important.

Wonder if you mixed up the OAL's - I'd guess 1.3" on the 125 gr and 1.113" on the 147 ??

As long as it all feeds well, and is accurate - you're good to go.

What kind of velocity did you get with both rounds?

I just got my Dillon xl650 a couple weeks ago. I love it. It is consistent and easy to use.

I shoot IDPA.

I am working up 125 and 147 grain loads with Blue Bullets and SNS Castings.

My gun, Glock 19, likes SNS the best so far, I think.

The loads that I have liked so far:

125 grain SNS RN

3.7 grain Titegrpup

CCI primer

1.113 OAL

147 grain SNS RN

3.1 grain Titegrpup

CCI primer

1.30 OAL

What do you guys think?

How critical is OAL?

How does that affect accuracy?

I check all my rounds through a go-nogo gauge.

I'm new so any help would be appreciated.

I'm reading Lyman 49th reloading handbook.

Im still working up my load, but my current test batch I just fired off were loaded up with 147gr flat point blues with 3.2gr of TG @ 1.1 and they seem to fairly decent. Groups were a bit looser than I get with factory rounds so I think I'm gonna bump the charge up a bit and see how they do.

I was under the impression that a GO / NO GO gauge was for checking headspacing and that a case check gauge was for checking your loaded rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack, I don't have a chronograph.

I know I need one and I will get one as soon as I can afford one.

I have a friend that offeredto let me use his.

I'm afraid I'll shoot it and have to buy him a new one.

for now I'm staying well within the 3.6 to 4.0 gr on Hodgdon's website.

Im still working up my load, but my current test batch I just fired off were loaded up with 147gr flat point blues with 3.2gr of TG @ 1.1 and they seem to fairly decent. Groups were a bit looser than I get with factory rounds so I think I'm gonna bump the charge up a bit and see how they do.

I was under the impression that a GO / NO GO gauge was for checking headspacing and that a case check gauge was for checking your loaded rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My groups started getting blown over 3.2 great with the 147 gr bullets.

I might be calling it the wrong thing. I bought it from Dillon, it is for checking completed ammo. Essentially it is a go-nogo gauge.

Taylor, I don't know how to post pictures.

I have my targets at home and can post them later tonight if you like.

What I mean is that the groups are tightest around 3.1 with 147 gr but the groups are spread out around 3.6 and greater.

Maybe blown patterns refers more to shot shell reloading?

Ah okay. I thought you meant problems with the brass itself.

Once you get the chrono data you'll find what loads make power factor, feel the best and meet your accuracy requirements.

And what you got from Dillon is likely a case gauge. Have you done the "plunk test"? That will tell you the longest OAL with that particular bullet, you can run in the chamber. Glock 9mm mags limit OAL to about 1.14 for me.

Thanks Scott, I did the plunk test but just to make sure that my ammo that passed the case gauge fit in my gun. I will do a proper plink test to determine the largest OAL in my gun.

I need to try longer OAL in my 125 grain bullets anyway. I do like 1.115 but I'll try 1.125 and 1.135 as well.

The groups are pretty nice right now but Imy always looking for better.

I was buying the Blue Bullet 147gr. .358 bullets and then resizing them to .358, .357 and .356 for use in different guns. But the shape of the RN did not let me get the OAL I wanted. Just got some .357 SNS 147gr FP's. I can load them to 1.160 in any of my guns. I guess I will have to compromise and use .357 for all my guns. It will make loading simpler. Now I only have to find the best power and charge.

I think that I will stick with SNS Castings. He's about 10 miles from me.

Great guy who shoots and supports shooting.

I like how his bullets are coated. My barrel is cleanish after shooting and my fingers aren't coated with blue residue. BTW, why does the blue coating rub off???

I don't think the blue coating rubs off. I think in shipping the bullets rub together through vibration and small amounts of the blue coating gets turned to dust which then gets on your hands through tumbling. I took some blue bullets and sprayed them with alcohol and ran them back and forth in a towel like I do to get lube off loaded rounds. When I loaded those bullets I didn't get any blue on my hands so I think it is the dust.