2016 NSSF World Rimfire Championship

Mark R

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok I checked the current NSSF rules, whether they really apply or not.

If shooting 2 divisions Open must be shot first before Limited or any mechanical division. If 2 complete days Open must be shot on the first day. If shooting both divisions in the same squad (meaning across 2 days if that is the format) then the Open firearm has to be shot first.

Current rules say prize table for World Championship is order of finish not random draw.

Racer...we are currently in negotiations with NSSF regarding gun order and prize table. Updates will come once they resolve the issues/questions.

The Rules committee has been updating the rules and Random draw will be allowed for the Worlds. If shooting 2 Divisions, the Open gun must be shot before Limited...that will not change.

I have been very fortunate in the past with random draw and order of finish. But you are telling everyone that they could WIN the match and go home with a hat!! Sounds like an expensive hat.

I have been very fortunate in the past with random draw and order of finish. But you are telling everyone that they could WIN the match and go home with a hat!! Sounds like an expensive hat.

Agreed However, based on the participants that filled out questionnaires, more people wanted Random draw than order of finish. It is also what the host range for Worlds requested.

Just a reminder, any range can submit a proposal for Worlds for 2017. The more submittals, the more choices NSSF has as to how the match is configured.

The Rules committee has been updating the rules and Random draw will be allowed for the Worlds. If shooting 2 Divisions, the Open gun must be shot before Limited...that will not change.

Are competitors that are shooting two guns allowed to shoot back to back?

Are competitors that are shooting two guns allowed to shoot back to back?

I did not allow 2 guns in the three prior Worlds and my recomendation was to not allow back to back runs in different divisions if two are allowed. Other than that, I do not know what the final verdict will be.

Agreed However, based on the participants that filled out questionnaires, more people wanted Random draw than order of finish. It is also what the host range for Worlds requested.

Just a reminder, any range can submit a proposal for Worlds for 2017. The more submittals, the more choices NSSF has as to how the match is configured.

What questionnaires? When? What match? Must have been kept a secret. I am not aware of anyone that saw or filed out any questionnaire. I was told that there would be something at the last world match. Didn't see it. Would have been a great idea to include it with the shooters packet if you wanted a good opinion poll.

We have young and for that matter old shooters that have been busting their butts trying to get better in preparation for the world championships... all year shooting state level matches and in some cases winning. What did they win? Sometimes a plaque and a hat. At the state level and even regional level I have no problem with this. But this is the world championships. Now you change the rules. Now that shooter that worked so hard on his/her game may win the match but win practically nothing. On the other hand a shooter that decided on a whim to shoot the world championship because it is close could win one of the top prizes. Sorry! It's just not right.

Just my $.02

I guess I would like to know who is on the rules committee. Is it people who shoot several matches a year or none? Are they sponsored or do they pay 100% of their own costs? I also did not receive a questionnaire and haven't talked to anyone who did. What about the people who have already singed up before this rule change or if they are even aware of it? I have made every World shoot but the first one and the odds of going again are going down.

​I got a questionnaire after 2015 Worlds. Looked like a mass e-mailing to everyone who entered. It didn't just address the prize table thing, it also seemed to be about economic impact to the area hosting the match, as in how much you spent locally attending the match.

Who is on the rules committee?

I don't know what is going on. No one seems willing to tell me the names of of the members of this rules committee. I even contacted the NSSF and their representative declined (refused?) to tell me. Just wondering why it is such a secret. The representative did say that prizes WILL be by random draw. Also stated there will be other rule changes.

Not sure who is on the Rules Committee, but here are a couple of the rule changes we received dated 26 July 2016 for this years World...

1.2.7 No holsters allowed, all firearms cased.

2.3.1 Cowboy category shooters WILL be required wear a Cowboy hat.

2.4.2 Open gun must be shot first if shooting two divisions.

17.2 Prize distribution maybe (will be) random draw.

Cavern Cove's awards will be: First drawing will be for prize table prizes, Second drawing will be for firearms. All names from first draw will go back in hat for second draw.

7.1 Fingers must be out of trigger guard until start signal (Pistol)

7.2 Fingers must be out of trigger guard until start signal (Rifle).

Only two divisions, Limited and Open. cowboy and Mechanical will be Categories

Awards for categories are: (considering there are at least 3 competitors in each category)

Cowboy/Cowgirl (one category, regardless of age or sex)
Top Lady (female participants of any age)
Top Youth (both male & female 12 & under)
Top Junior (both male & female 13-17)
Top Senior (both male & female 62 & older)

And finally rule 3.2.2...stages will have 5-7 steel targets. Some may have poppers, but they do not need to fall (actually we'll have them set to not fall).

Hope it clears up some confusion. Remaining rules in the rulebook are unchanged.

Not sure who is on the Rules Committee, but here are a couple of the rule changes we received dated 26 July 2016 for this years World...

1.2.7 No holsters allowed, all firearms cased.

2.3.1 Cowboy category shooters WILL be required wear a Cowboy hat.

2.4.2 Open gun must be shot first if shooting two divisions.

17.2 Prize distribution maybe (will be) random draw.

Cavern Cove's awards will be: First drawing will be for prize table prizes, Second drawing will be for firearms. All names from first draw will go back in hat for second draw.

7.1 Fingers must be out of trigger guard until start signal (Pistol)

7.2 Fingers must be out of trigger guard until start signal (Rifle).

Only two divisions, Limited and Open. cowboy and Mechanical will be Categories

Awards for categories are: (considering there are at least 3 competitors in each category)

Cowboy/Cowgirl (one category, regardless of age or sex)

Top Lady (female participants of any age)

Top Youth (both male & female 12 & under)

Top Junior (both male & female 13-17)

Top Senior (both male & female 62 & older)

And finally rule 3.2.2...stages will have 5-7 steel targets. Some may have poppers, but they do not need to fall (actually we'll have them set to not fall).

Hope it clears up some confusion. Remaining rules in the rulebook are unchanged.

Thanks for the update. Other than the random draw, I can live with the other changes. Although the finger out of the trigger guard start is a brilliant solution to a non-existant problem.

What about the rule about changing mags during the course of fire?

In previous years I recall that if a Competitor has a jamb and drops the mag during the course of fire he/she must retrieve the mag they started with and continue and cannot use a new mag.

I understand keeping the round count to 11 (1+10) but find this ruling to be unsafe.

What about the rule about changing mags during the course of fire?

In previous years I recall that if a Competitor has a jamb and drops the mag during the course of fire he/she must retrieve the mag they started with and continue and cannot use a new mag.

I understand keeping the round count to 11 (1+10) but find this ruling to be unsafe.

I agree with you on that one Paul. It would be much safer to pick up a magazine from the table and reload than to pick one up from where it fell. Who cares as long as no more than 11 rounds are fired.