Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 major or 38 super comp for open?

Muldune21

"Loading your 9mm just twice?"  Where did THAT come from?  9mm Major brass can take tens of cycles.

Plus, as I mentioned, 9mm is free to many of us.

Better way to present the question would be - how often do you buy your 38SC brass?

When I got out of 38SC I sold all my brass for small fortune.  It stands to reason someone spent all that money.  :)

Since then, for about 7 years, I have not spent ANYTHING on my brass. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've shot 9 major for six years and never bought a piece of brass, for the short time I shot 38 super, I bought every piece of brass and had a smaller stash after every match.
I shot my first match using 38. Even after picking up marked brass after every stage and the match as a whole, I definitely left with less than I showed up with.

With that being said, 38 seemed really easy to shoot. I really want to get ahold of a 9 major to compare it to.

4 hours ago, EEH said:

In three years I’ve not bought a single piece of brass.

1 hour ago, kneelingatlas said:

I've shot 9 major for six years and never bought a piece of brass, for the short time I shot 38 super, I bought every piece of brass and had a smaller stash after every match.

So where are you getting your 9mm brass?

I have a friend who works major matches, and lives close to a big range. I always have something I don’t need anymore. Get the picture.

like when I quit shooting 40, I found a few rounds so I gave them to him.

Edited by EEH

47 minutes ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

I shoot a monthly match with ~20 shooters, ~15 shoot 9mm, but only 4-5 stick around to split up brass.

There's enough new brass entering the system I've never cracked a piece of brass.

Last week I sold 2000 38 super cases for $700 AUD and put a deposit on a 9mm major gun. I think I will have it half paid for with the rest of the once fired I have. 

The weekend just gone no-one picked up because it was terrible weather. I was glad I was shooting production. 

14 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

If you don't like to pick up brass at the range, East Coast Reloading Supplies has cleaned 9mm brass for $23 a thousand.

Very clean and fast shipping.

I am not picking up brass for that! Especially at the 2 ranges I shoot at. I can't pick it up, sort it and clean it for that!  

One of my happiest days was my first match after re-barreling my Super to 9mm. Even if I choose to buy brass, it's so cheap on GB that it's almost free. So cheap that I'd rather buy it than pick it up. 

10 minutes ago, Broncman said:

If you don't like to pick up brass at the range, East Coast Reloading Supplies has cleaned 9mm brass for $23 a thousand.

Very clean and fast shipping.

I am not picking up brass for that! Especially at the 2 ranges I shoot at. I can't pick it up, sort it and clean it for that!  

Just to confirm, do you sort this brass at all or just throw it in the reloading machine and go?

I always sort new to me brass shooting open! The possibility of stepped brass is too great. 

When I did pick up range brass from matches, it always took longer to sort due to damaged brass from being ground into rocks , sand etc. Plus, no telling how many time some of it has been shot.

Edited by Broncman

On 8/20/2018 at 9:44 AM, Nevadazielmeister said:

Ahh, that is a very nice website. Thank you for sharing. 

So I checked out one place for 12k of 9mm cleaned brassed for $371, so thats $0.03 per round. If I get 6 reloadings out of my 38 Super Comp brass, then the both balance out, don't they?  

So for all of the 38 Super Comp shooters, how many times have you reused the brass? This might help everyone understand the cost debate.

I have some cases that you cant even read the headstamp on anymore.  20+ reloadings.  

23 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

Just to confirm, do you sort this brass at all or just throw it in the reloading machine and go?

I don't sort my brass prior to loading, here's my process:

-dirty range pickup goes into the dirty bin

-30-40 minutes in a tumbler with dry walnut media and it goes into the clean bin

-before I ran out of case lube I'd spray with case lube on it's way into the clean bin, but since I ran out, the machine runs with slightly more effort.

-into the case feeder of my bullet fed 650

-loaded rounds are tumbled in the same dry media for another 30-40 min, this knocks primers out of any loose primer pockets, removes any grease or grit and leaves loaded rounds smooth and shiny.

-dump loaded rounds on a damp towel to remove media dust

-chamber check each round in the barrel it will be fired in, pass rounds go ammo boxes for matches, fails into a box for practice

-once match ammo is in the box, I run my finger over the headstamps transferring any stepped cases to the practice box

Since I adopted this process I have yet to have an ammo failure in a match, interestingly I've only had two stepped cases separate, both in the same gun, so I don't think it's even an issue to worry about in the others, but better safe than sorry.