Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 major or 38 super comp for open?

Muldune21

3 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

Yeh, I have come across some military brass in which the primer pocket was crimped, much like 5.56mm LC brass. So I would have to stop production, either ream the edge of the primer pocket or use the Dillon Swager. I can only imagine how crazy that would be with a Mark 7 or something else automated. The only time I have fired off a primer on my Dillon 650 was with crimped brass and I was applying "a bit too much pressure". I swore a little bit of pooh came out. 

(Always wear glasses kids.)

If you're loading 9 major, you should be inspecting headstamps to eliminate crummy brass (IMT, Ammoload, FM) easy enough to throw the military stuff into a bucket to deal with crimped primers at a later point. (or buy a 1050)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/3/2018 at 6:39 AM, Bkreutz said:

If you're loading 9 major, you should be inspecting headstamps to eliminate crummy brass (IMT, Ammoload, FM) easy enough to throw the military stuff into a bucket to deal with crimped primers at a later point. (or buy a 1050)

On 8/3/2018 at 7:57 AM, Foxbat said:

I sort all incoming brass and separate the crimped one.  I then load it once on 1050, from that point it is just like any other.

For some, time is more valuable than money, this just doesn't work. I having loaded 38 Super Comp now, I find the experience much more enjoyable = smoother, less hiccups/problems. Brass consistency is pretty important when I just want to get my reloading done and move onto the next project.  

Edited by Nevadazielmeister

So I have had the opportunity to shoot 9mm Major and 38 Super Comp out of the same model Open gun and can say, without a doubt, the barrel rise/flip/recoil is quite a bit less in the 38 super comp. The simple fact in using 9mm Major is that due to reduced cartridge capacity (water capacity) you have to use a hotter faster burning powder. The 38 Super Comp, by using a relatively slower powder, makes more use of the compensator. The round is a lot softer in felt recoil as well. 

Edited by Nevadazielmeister

31 minutes ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

For some, time is more valuable than money, this just doesn't work. I having loaded 38 Super Comp now, I find the experience much more enjoyable = smoother, less hiccups/problems. Brass consistency is pretty important when I just want to get my reloading done and move onto the next project.  

The reloading process is identical, and here is no inconsistency with 9mm.

What IS missing in 9mm is the constant hunt for your brass.

46 minutes ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

The simple fact in using 9mm Major is that due to reduced cartridge capacity (water capacity) you have to use a hotter faster burning powder. The 38 Super Comp, by using a relatively slower powder, makes more use of the compensator...

Disagree. Plenty of room in a 9mm case for AA#7 which is clearly a "slow" powder.

3 hours ago, Balakay said:

Disagree. Plenty of room in a 9mm case for AA#7 which is clearly a "slow" powder.

This^.  I'm using 9.5gr AA7 and there's ample room.  And it meters great on the Dillon, very consistent charge weights.  

5 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

The simple fact in using 9mm Major is that due to reduced cartridge capacity (water capacity) you have to use a hotter faster burning powder. The 38 Super Comp, by using a relatively slower powder, makes more use of the compensator. The round is a lot softer in felt recoil as well. 

What's your go to load for 38?

9majorsb-figure-4.thumb.jpg.e06779b7650069d648d838783144d81c.jpg.ddf4ca8afa9eff21237e1b872568c61d.jpg

The powders and charges above typically make major under 115gr bullets.

While I'll conceed 10+gr of N105 under a 115gr bullet is an excellent 38 super load (I have owned both 9 and 38 Open guns), I don't know many 38 shooters who use such a load, much more frequently I see HS6 or Autocomp under 125s, so I ask: does 7.5gr of Autocomp under a 125 in 38 work the comp better than 7.5gr of Autocomp under a 115 in 9?

Edited by kneelingatlas

I started with 38 super and gave up because I was tired of marking brass and searching for it in between shooters. I now shoot 9mm major out of a matchmaster and love it. My matchmaster will also run factory ammo for steel challenge or indoor matches where the match directors refuse to allow major pf ammo. They won't allow it because they can't handle the noise

I personally went with 38SC  in my new DVC Open and could not be happier I went this route simply because I got a killer deal on a 38 and  the way I look at it the 1911 2011 runs were designed around the 45/38 round so I. Theory they should be more reliable and as far as cost goes anyone that shoots competition on a regular basis spends so much money in shooting no matter what they shoot don’t see how price is even I. The equation I run nothing but Atlantis Arms picked up my Range brass but I don’t pick up brass at matches 

On 8/5/2018 at 5:50 AM, Foxbat said:

Well, let's be fair - you shot two different, unknown, loads, out of two different, unknown guns.  You can't make a valid comparison based on that.

Yes, I can: I shot two Limcat Razorcats: One with 6.7 Grains of AutoComp in 9mm Major and one with 8.8 grains of Vitvhouri 3N38 in 38 Super Comp. The Super Compwas noticeably flatter. 

On 8/5/2018 at 10:49 AM, kneelingatlas said:

What's your go to load for 38?

9majorsb-figure-4.thumb.jpg.e06779b7650069d648d838783144d81c.jpg.ddf4ca8afa9eff21237e1b872568c61d.jpg

The powders and charges above typically make major under 115gr bullets.

While I'll conceed 10+gr of N105 under a 115gr bullet is an excellent 38 super load (I have owned both 9 and 38 Open guns), I don't know many 38 shooters who use such a load, much more frequently I see HS6 or Autocomp under 125s, so I ask: does 7.5gr of Autocomp under a 125 in 38 work the comp better than 7.5gr of Autocomp under a 115 in 9?

My load is Vithovouri 3N38 at 8.8 grains. It was explained that JJ Racaza runs 8.5 grains and another competitor (forgot his name, sorry) runs 9.1. Each gun is different, each batch is different, but the premise is the same. 

42 minutes ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

My load is Vithovouri 3N38 at 8.8 grains. It was explained that JJ Racaza runs 8.5 grains and another competitor (forgot his name, sorry) runs 9.1. Each gun is different, each batch is different, but the premise is the same. 

How would 8.8gr of 3N38 in a 38 super case make more gas to keep the gun flat than 9.4gr of 3N38 in a 9mm case?

8 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

3N38 shoots flatter than WAC in 9mm too ?

+1.  I've had 3 different Open guns, in .38 and 9 major.  WAC was bouncer in all of them than 3n38, HS6, and AA7.  

Comparing loads with different powders (or bullets, or spring setups...) isn't apples to apples.  

2 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

For everyone who discuss cost, can you quantify? 

I also ask, with all of the pistol prices, travel expenses, practice time, and maintenance costs, is 38 Super Comp that much more expensive in comparison?  

As I said before, to me it is not just the cost, it is the freedom to not think about it.  When I shot 38SC I always walked with my head down... now it is up. 

2 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

How would 8.8gr of 3N38 in a 38 super case make more gas to keep the gun flat than 9.4gr of 3N38 in a 9mm case?

You were able to fit 9.4 grains of 3N38 in a 9mm Major case? Wow. Sounds kinda impossible. With on average 13.8 grains of water capacity for a typical 9mm case, where would the bullet go? Even with a compressed load, what kind of COAL are you getting?

31 minutes ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

You were able to fit 9.4 grains of 3N38 in a 9mm Major case? Wow. Sounds kinda impossible. With on average 13.8 grains of water capacity for a typical 9mm case, where would the bullet go? Even with a compressed load, what kind of COAL are you getting?

I personally loaded some 115's and 9.4gr last night and the case was FULL!   Yet, my bullet feeder managed to get a bullet to sit on every case. 

10 hours ago, chevrofreak said:

I personally loaded some 115's and 9.4gr last night and the case was FULL!   Yet, my bullet feeder managed to get a bullet to sit on every case. 

This would concern me. I once loaded a few thousand rounds of 5.56mm rounds with a slower powder only to find out that I was bulging the case walls and was getting failure to feed and failure to eject issues. I have to use a piston gun to get the ammo to work. Have you measured the COAL and more importantly, the sides of the case? I have to imagine that with your case absolutely full, the powder has to do somewhere. 

At least with my Dillon 650, having full cases of powder leaves a lot of powder on the floor.