Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Autocomp 9mm Major Load Data

MKitzmiller

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this thread guys! I just got my CK Arms Thunder and went ahead and tried the plunk test at different COL

p1887298243-4.jpg

Max COL that will plunk is 1.158". I think I'll do my ladder test at COL 1.150. And yes, I did bought WAC as my open powder. Maybe I'll start at 6.6gr and work up to maybe 7.2

Edited by balmo

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Chevy said:

Is there anyone loading a 147 gr bullet ? Is there and advantage to meet power factor?

I just got into open but the general idea I've always understood and it is what I go by is you want a lighter bullet and a slow burning powder to create as much gas as possible to work the comp. 

On July 27, 2016 at 9:10 PM, balmo said:

Thanks for this thread guys! I just got my CK Arms Thunder and went ahead and tried the plunk test at different COL

p1887298243-4.jpg

Max COL that will plunk is 1.158". I think I'll do my ladder test at COL 1.150. And yes, I did bought WAC as my open powder. Maybe I'll start at 6.6gr and work up to maybe 7.2

If its not too late, I'd go right to 6.8 of WAC and see how that tests. On another note, I've been told by a very reliable source that HP will tumble past ~15 Yards and to not use them for major 9mm rounds. I quit using them, (given the source).. Just my 2 cents.. 

Hollow points will tumble past ~15 yards?  Hmmm.  My PDs and MGs have been the most reliable shooters, and both are stable and accurate at all distances up to at least 50 yds (the max I shoot at) in both 9major and 38SC.  Wonder what formula the "reliable source" was using? 

17 minutes ago, MKitzmiller said:

If its not too late, I'd go right to 6.8 of WAC and see how that tests. On another note, I've been told by a very reliable source that HP will tumble past ~15 Yards and to not use them for major 9mm rounds. I quit using them, (given the source).. Just my 2 cents.. 

Now that's some funny $h!t right there. Your reliable source is an idiot

1 minute ago, MKitzmiller said:

JHP's being good solely for minor is just what I was told. Plated TCG's and CFE pistol is the formula to answer the question. 

Uh, nope.  JHPs are preferred for Open/major and fly great at those velocities.  (They're preferred for Open vs. FMJ because the base of the bullet is exposed in FMJ and smokes when hit by the hot gasses; in JHP the base is jacketed and non-smoking.) 

JHP works just fine for me in 9mm (major and minor), .40, and 38 Super.  They're usually preferred, for weight consistency, feeding reliability, and accuracy. 

Plated bullets don't work very well at Major velocities (for most of us, although there seem to be exceptions); for me they tumble like crazy no matter whether they're crimped or not.  At any velocity (major or minor) plated bullets often tumble if crimped too much. 

Your guy may believe what he says, but this is what works, from the field and from those of us that shoot them. 

4 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Now that's some funny $h!t right there. Your reliable source is an idiot

I'm with Sarge,you better spend that $.02 on penny bubble gum.

Edited by EEH

1 minute ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: JHP's are the most accurate bullets I have used in my 9mm open guns even out to 50 yards. Maybe that is why I have missed targets at 15 yards? Thanks, Eric

Yes, that's it.  They're no good until about 46 yards, then they straighten right out. 

Nope, I was wrong.  They're accurate and straight at nearer distances, too.  Never mind.  :bow:

Everyone has their own opinions and results fellas. I was sharing mine, (respectfully). I'm just a USPSA and 3GN open shooter who listens to short Japanese men who whoop ass across the world when they educate me with regard to bullets and science. Furthermore, when I attempted to purchase some 124GR JHP in 9 major from a ammo manafactuer I was told the only loaded ammo for 9 major they'd make is 147's due to velocities. 

Way to be respectful, and have a great day. 

24 minutes ago, MKitzmiller said:

Everyone has their own opinions and results fellas. I was sharing mine, (respectfully). I'm just a USPSA and 3GN open shooter who listens to short Japanese men who whoop ass across the world when they educate me with regard to bullets and science. Furthermore, when I attempted to purchase some 124GR JHP in 9 major from a ammo manafactuer I was told the only loaded ammo for 9 major they'd make is 147's due to velocities. 

Way to be respectful, and have a great day. 

There's no doubt most of us 9 major shooters have found maximum success with jhp's over all other bullet constructions. Plated bullets are the source of most stories of struggle. 

Commercial ammo loaders are going to load only 147's at major to cover their ass in terms of spec pressures and 9x19. It may make major but on no way should that be construed to mean it is the optimum solution for the open major shooter. It is optimum for the loader's business. 

To see what's out there in the 9mm/38 super world in terms of loaded ammo, I went to ammobot.com.  The bullet weights and velocities are the same for both cartridges; they need to make Major velocity.  There's a lot of 38 Super listed, pretty much all of it jacketed, a lot of it JHP.  

It's harder to find 9 Major specifically on ammobot, but in 9mm regular and +P loadings there's plenty of JHP. 

I'm guessing the ammo mfg with the 147s is Atlanta Arms.  Theirs is, coincidentally, JHP.  They clearly state, in red bold text, that this ammo exceeds SAAMI specs and should only be used in competition guns.  It's easy to imagine why they aren't sellng 124s or 115s (although almost everybody uses these, and few use 147s, for reasons stated many times elsewhere on BE). 

Thomas Ammunition (smaller regional outfit) makes Major ammo with FMJs, don't they? 

We still haven't heard who the source of the recommendation against JHPs is.  Would you care to share?

Respectfully,

Teros

You talk about respect but are being very sarcastic.  Yes, we have a lot figured out, because many of us have done a lot of work to figure it out.  We've earned the right to share that knowledge and to discuss and even disagree, when needed.  I've done my best to offer information and data to support my opinions.  Sorry if that doesn't suit you. 

I wouldn't agree that SAAMI is irrelevant.  It's the basis for much of our knowledge, and I wouldn't ignore their data at all.  We just work with it, in our own particular guns, which are designed to take higher pressures.  For me, I've loaded and fired more than 15k rounds of Open Major, in both 9mm and 38 and in a variety of configurations (OAL, bullet, powder, primer, crimp, etc.), and I read (and respect) the information from fellow BE members, who are also "researchers".  As we (open shooters) all know, that's the only way to find the loads that run right in our own gun.  (And gun builders will tell you that they can build two identical guns, at the same time, and they'll run differently.  Go figure.)  We don't know it all, but together we know a lot. 

2 hours ago, teros135 said:

Uh, nope.  JHPs are preferred for Open/major and fly great at those velocities.  (They're preferred for Open vs. FMJ because the base of the bullet is exposed in FMJ and smokes when hit by the hot gasses; in JHP the base is jacketed and non-smoking.) 

JHP works just fine for me in 9mm (major and minor), .40, and 38 Super.  They're usually preferred, for weight consistency, feeding reliability, and accuracy. 

Plated bullets don't work very well at Major velocities (for most of us, although there seem to be exceptions); for me they tumble like crazy no matter whether they're crimped or not.  At any velocity (major or minor) plated bullets often tumble if crimped too much. 

Your guy may believe what he says, but this is what works, from the field and from those of us that shoot them. 

You LITERALLY have this figured out bud. I'm not being sarcastic.

I've frequented this forum for many years and have extracted much data. Only most recently have I began contributing. I appreciate your input.  

Edited by MKitzmiller