Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Autocomp 9mm Major Load Data

MKitzmiller

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Open :cheers:

If you haven't had issues with mounts coming loose, C-Mores losing zero, baffle strikes on the comp, ejection problems, rackers falling off/hitting your thumb, or comps coming loose, you haven't been shooting Open long enough.

I gave up on the little 5-40 screws that were originally on my RTS2 mount. Even with Red Loctite, it seemed like I was frequently having one or two get loose. The allen slots on those tiny screws were also incredibly easy to damage if you put any kind of torque on them. I had the holes in my frame tapped for 6-40 screws which have worked out great. They can be difficult to find, but I bought a bag of a hundred stainless 6-40 X 3/4" socket head screws on ebay and just cut them down to length.

HA!! That's the most awesome welcome ever!

I've been shooting open long enough to know that plastic C-More slide rides require way too much re-zeroing,(hence the RTS2 on this gun, the ejector on my STI has been replaced twice, and I Loctite the comps as soon as I get a gun..

I ran blue Loctite and 18"lbs on it last night.. We'll see.

If they come loose one more time, I'll re-tap. There seems to be a pretty decent amount of meat on the frame compared to my STI's..

The CK Arms guns have a lifetime warranty. Contact Bobby or Matt

I called for Bobby yesterday and today. These aren't issues I'm unequipped to handle. Never bought a 4K pistol that needed immediate attention. She'll be runnin like a top in no time. You in LaPlace eh Scooter? I lived in Thibodaux as a kid.

Red Loctite on the frame mount screws, blue on the optic to mount screws has worked best for me.

One more tip that someone gave me along the way--use green Loctite (620) on the comp. I struggled for quite a while with my comp loosening up and causing strikes until I switched to the 620. I tried red 271 and green 603, but after a long practice session, they both allowed the comp to shift. The 620 is designed to bridge larger gaps like between the threads and it's resistant to high temps.

Name: 124 HHP @ 1.143 7.0 Gr WAC

Shots: 24

Average: 1383 FPS

SD: 11 FPS

Min: 1357 FPS

Max: 1400 FPS

Spread: 43 FPS

Power Factor Average: 172

Power Factor Low: 168

Power Factor High: 174

Barometric Pressure: 30.0 inHg

Temperature: 100F

Weight: 124 grains

And...... I was loaded too long. 200 rounds, zero issues.

Edited by MKitzmiller

I called for Bobby yesterday and today. These aren't issues I'm unequipped to handle. Never bought a 4K pistol that needed immediate attention. She'll be runnin like a top in no time.

It happens. I'm struggling with a full custom open gun right now. Often times builders don't loctite some screws because you might want to change something around etc. I red loctite the mounting screws into the frame. When done properly they don't have to be torqued, just snugged up tight. The key is degreasing 100% for the loctite to work.

You may still want to see about having Matt throat your barrel so you can use a longer OAL. It gives you a bit more margin of safety with 9 Major and allows you more freedom with bullet profiles if you decide to change up at some point.

I called for Bobby yesterday and today. These aren't issues I'm unequipped to handle. Never bought a 4K pistol that needed immediate attention. She'll be runnin like a top in no time.

It happens. I'm struggling with a full custom open gun right now. Often times builders don't loctite some screws because you might want to change something around etc. I red loctite the mounting screws into the frame. When done properly they don't have to be torqued, just snugged up tight. The key is degreasing 100% for the loctite to work.

Seems to be holding up some blue Loctite so far.. No oil on the screws or frame thanks to brake clean.

You may still want to see about having Matt throat your barrel so you can use a longer OAL. It gives you a bit more margin of safety with 9 Major and allows you more freedom with bullet profiles if you decide to change up at some point.

I definitely will have it opened up a bit. Now that the dragsters running, gonna be damn hard to ship it off!

Welcome to Open :cheers:

If you haven't had issues with mounts coming loose, C-Mores losing zero, baffle strikes on the comp, ejection problems, rackers falling off/hitting your thumb, or comps coming loose, you haven't been shooting Open long enough.

I gave up on the little 5-40 screws that were originally on my RTS2 mount. Even with Red Loctite, it seemed like I was frequently having one or two get loose. The allen slots on those tiny screws were also incredibly easy to damage if you put any kind of torque on them. I had the holes in my frame tapped for 6-40 screws which have worked out great. They can be difficult to find, but I bought a bag of a hundred stainless 6-40 X 3/4" socket head screws on ebay and just cut them down to length.

Check, check, check

Racker hit my front tooth so hard I thought It was knocked out

Finally went with aluminum cmore after 2 plastic ones wouldn't hold zero

Mount loosens up every few matches, usually just the rear-most screw...even with blue loctitie

No ejection issues, or comp problems...knock on wood

To the OP...I run 115 gr JHP in my CK....with 7.7 Autocomp at 1.165. That round was too long for one of my STI mags with the spacer as they kept hanging up. I have since accumulated a couple old style SVI and bought a couple MBX mags. I no longer have mag feeding issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran my gun @ 6.8, 6.9, and 7.0 of WAC @ 1.163-1.165. ALL too long. Anyone else running a CK open have that issue?

JHP's? Yes, I had this issue with my CK and it was recently discussed here and I wasn't the only one. Wouldn't handle a 124 jhp at longer than about 1.135". Would plunk 124 cmj's all the way out to 1.185". My solution was to buy a reamer and ream the throat until it plunked jhp's at 1.175".

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=230346&hl=

Edited by theWacoKid

• 3 weeks later...

6.7 grains of Winchester AutoComp
124 grain Montana Gold Jacketed Hollow Point
.3750 crimp
Winchester Small Rifle primers
Various brass but use new Starline for matches
COL of 1.155

5" SV with Cheely Ti Comp

1365 to 1380 feet per second for a 169 to 171 power factor.

Recommend bumping it up by at least a tenth of a grain to 6.8 to allow for a slow chronograph at major matches.

YMMV.

Edited by BillChunn

That's about where I've settled. I had an OAL restriction of 1.135-ish. Thought it was my barrel needing throated. Turned out that the decap/resize die on my 550 wasn't bottomed out. Now alls good. Thanks for the data!!