Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Right hand, left eye dominance solution.

Muldune21

I feel you man. I shot many years with my right eye. I actually changed by accident. I think when I got glasses. I shot archery and when I got glasses had a hard time because I would look through the very edge of my lens. I had to change my nock point to accommodate. I believe when I changed my nock point I started shooting left eye'd. After that I felt weird when I returned to shooting handguns. Then one day I realized I was using my left eye. Up to that point I would have always said I was right eye dominant. It's worth noting that until that point in my life I never understood any of the dominance tests so it's possible I was neither (or both depending on how you look at it.) Anyways, I'm still not sure if that's how it unfolded since I'm talking about a 40 year span but the only thing I know is that I'm NOW left eye'd. This entire time I've never had any trouble with rifles. I keep both eyes open even when using a scope.

It's been a strange road for me, and the point of this ridiculous story is... Just go with it. I never did put much thought into it and would advise the same.

Shoot how you need to shoot to obtain a consistent draw and hopefully maintain the ability to keep both eyes open. (something that's a must in my opinion). I would avoid trying to change anything about YOU and only work on changing technique to get you shooting well without any auxiliary movement.

Enough trigger time will result in success no matter what you have to do to run the gun.

I use a black vision blocker for indoor bullseye shooting but after a good week or so of both eyes open dryfire the double sights or double targets all but vanished. Might go away for you also. It's more critical for me to make sure my index is consistent then everything else follows right along.

I'm right handed and left eye dominant, just moving it over works for me. Long guns on the other hand I still haven't figured out.

I've had some success by lining the sights up with my left/dominant eye. I still see double sights but I've learned to ignore it for the most part.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised you can shoot a shotgun right/right. That is normally the hardest gun for cross-dominate shooters to deal with, since the rear sight is your eye.

At least some shotgun coaches advise cross-dominant people to learn to shoot weak side, stressing dominant eye over dominant hand.

Becoming visually ambidextrous is actually pretty easy. As far as there being a second set of sights when shooting both eyes open, just ignore the other one. After awhile your mind will drop it from your stream of consciousness. Don't do anything with tape or markers or anything. If it's hard for you, turn your head slightly, but doing this is a temporary trick to get your mind used to developing a proper sight picture. You should straighten yourself out and shoot correctly as soon as possible.

95% of shooting is in your head. That's where you need to solve the problem, not with equipment tricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk