Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clamping a 550/650 Toolhead very inexpensivly!

Those of you that might be wanting to mod a Dillon 550 or 650 for precision reloading might have read that clamping the toolhead is necessary along with a floating die set up.
After a bit of brainstorming about clamping the toolhead in the frame I came up with a very inexpensive solution that does not require any modification of the frame.
I tapped the toolhead holes with an 8-32 tap and installed 8-32x.250" dog head setscrews in my Whidden toolhead. Now it's a case of sliding the toolhead in the frame and snugging down the setscrews with a 5/64" hex head wrench through the top holes in the frame. Doing so pushes the toolhead up in the frame slot and locks it in place using the bottom frame holes.
EASY PEASY!
The 8-32 tap requires a #29 drill (.1360"). The factory Dillon toolhead alignment holes are .1260" and will need to be drilled out with the #29 drill. The Whidden toolhead alignment holes are .140" and can be tapped as is. Take the time to start the tap straight and use cutting oil.
The 8-32x.250" setscrews should cost around 30 cents each at the hardware store so each toolhead will set you back less than $1.00.post-4923-0-22378000-1466563048_thumb.jp

Edited by Pat Miles

Always great to read about inexpensive improvement. All of my tool heads are clamped with the exception of the tool head that contains a universal depriming die only.

The UniqueTek version taps the tool head and you insert a stainless spring. I believe it is similar to a HeliCoil.

This allows you too clamp the tool head without drilling a larger locating hole in the press.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the 8-32 setscrews are installed in the locating pin holes the pins can't be used at the same time. The doghead set screws protrude into the holes of the locating pins in the frame under the tool head. The tool head is then pushed up into the frame slot and locked into position.

• 3 years later...

I like this idea...it also will let me use station 3 for my trimmer because the locating pin it will not be in use, getting in the way of the exhaust attachment...

I like to know more about the repeatability / durability of this mod? Alloyed toolhead using steel set screws repeatedly may wear quicker than with a heli-coil mod...or some other type of insert...or is it one of them, not enough to worry about

...comments please...

Edited by mososodbob
more info