Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carbon Arms Belt Ratchet Kit

Here is a new and simple item that really works. I have always had issues keeping my CR Speed belt tight for 3-gun and USPSA especially when I have a couple of my MKA 1919 mags hung on it along with holster, open pistol, AR mag, and a couple of pistol mags. Lot of weight. By being able to ratchet it tighter or loosen it easily it just works. First saw it on Janna Reeves Safariland belt and thought what a great idea. Bought one when it first came out and have been using it for about a month now. Easy to install, drill a couple of holes, I use it over my inner velco belt and I did have to take the velcro off the bottom of the outer belt so it would slide right in the front where it overlaps. Really works well here in the heat of Texas when you starting sweating off a couple of pounds. Just ratchet it tighter.

http://www.carbonarms.us/Belt-Gear/Belt-Ratchet-Kit.html

gerritm

Yes, it pulls the top of the outer belt over the inner. That is why took the velcro off the under side of the top so it would pull smoothly. Still use the regular CR Speed inner belt. You kind of have to experiment with it to get it just right for you. Location can change with how and what type of belt you have. I shoot open so nothing hangs in the front. If you have shell carriers in the front or ELS on a Safariland belt you put the opening where nothing hangs. Easy to work on the side or back location.

gerritm

We now have a complete belt system too. Inner, outer, with the ratchet system...CARBS. the hole patterns on the outer belt will take ELS, TMMS attachments, or direct mount as well.

1.5". If you order one, please read the description! The lengths are actual, meaning what a tape measure will actually measure around your waist with an inner belt on. DON'T order your pant size, it will be too small!

This is an interesting concept, I like the idea of being able to get the belt adjustment just right. I always seem to be in the middle of holes on my ELS belt. One question what type of material is the belt made of? It almost looks like some sort of plastic.

I got mine a week ago but still haven’t set it up because I have been busy this month with family commitments now that summer has arrived and my kids are off school.

I’ve trial fit it on and been debating whether to send it back for exchange to an X-Large (40-47). I measured myself with pants and an inner belt on and was right at 39 inches so got the Large (35-42) but when I put it on the belt end only enters the buckle comfortably at buckle by 2-3 ratchet serrations.

Mark what do you think? I assume moving up a size increase the actual belt size by a 5 inches and the ratchet stays the same. It appears to me there is too much of an end to end gap on the belt itself. The way it is now also somewhat forces me to have the ratchet between 5-6 o’clock with my holster worn on the right side, making it a little awkward to adjust.

Edited by Boxerglocker

If you want to send it back, we can trade it out for the next size up. The actual belt panel will be 5 inches longer, same ratchet. We can also get you the 14" strap, which would then use the same panel, but add 7 inches. You can trim the strap to the length to like as well.

I "preordered" this belt and didn't take the time to properly read sizing instructions. I could have sworn it said to order "waist size" and I took for granted that meant "pant size". Completely my fault, I am not casting blame. I was so excited by the idea I got ahead of myself. I have a 33" waist (right now) and ordered a medium. Couldn't even get the ratchet to close on the first serration. I have been using the ELS belt for a couple of years and it seems like I am always between holes (my weight usually fluctuates 15-20 lbs with the seasons). I have no doubt that Mark would have exchanged the belt but I decided to just use the ratchet on my ELS belt (after some modifications). Won't get to use it in a match for a couple of weeks but I am loving it at the range so far. It will also allow me some space when on put on the LBs this winter.

If you want to send it back, we can trade it out for the next size up. The actual belt panel will be 5 inches longer, same ratchet. We can also get you the 14" strap, which would then use the same panel, but add 7 inches. You can trim the strap to the length to like as well.

I think getting the 14 inch strap is probably the best option. Going up a size in the belt panel may create an issue of not being to close it down tight enough. I'll give you folks a call after the 4th of July holiday.

As said before, my first order was way too small. I wear a 32-33" pant and ordered the Med. I can just get the first notch to latch without an innerbelt or any gear. It's on it's way back for a Large. My fault, but Carbonarms has been great with the exchange.

I just received by ratchet kit today, know I just need to get my belt set up. For those of you who have installed it already did you keep the overlap portion of the belt and attach the ratchet or did you go full custom and trim the belt down so you had no overlap when you ratchet down the belt?

i left the overlap, it makes it a little tricky to put on but it works well and i can take off the ratchet and still use it if needed.

post-56194-0-03404800-1468023176_thumb.j

Edited by Garmil

• 11 months later...

I just got my carbonarms complete outer ratchet belt set up and one thing to note if you are a "tweener" you may need to move the actual ratchet back on each side and trim the end to make it work.  I fall right between small and medium ( medium I can't quite get it tight/ small would be right at the end of the ratchet). If I were to give one critique it would be they should make the sizes overlap by a couple inches. My gues is it would require them to add an additional belt size but that would eliminate those in the middle from having to cut and drill a brand new belt. That being said, this belt completely set up (same number of receiver plates as my Safariland belt) is a half pound lighter than my Safariland, so much easier to put on, and way stiffer.  

This buckle setup is awesome. I got their belt too and the only pain was trimming the velcro out of the holes to mount the ELS adapters which in reality wasn't that bad. I found flipping the buckle and strap worked better for me and saved belt real estate as I tucked the strap portion right up to my QLS/holster.

One thing i found out the hard way is where the holes are from the front is still sticky so after getting up from shooting prone at my last 3 gun match there was all kinds of grass dirt and rocks stuck in all those holes and getting it out is quite the chore since that sticky is VERY sticky.. Just an FYI...

Agreed. I was thinking of using some graphite powder in the holes but figured excess could get a little messy. Other options could be burnt flower. Maybe colored chalk dust. Any other thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk