Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA, tear down this wall!

FWSixgunner

I shoot Rev almost every match (625).

While I like the idea of letting an 8 shot in, I think they should just put it with current rules, let them load 8 but only shoot 6 before a reload. This however would require a reload with retention each time they reloaded.

Yet another circular firing squad.

If you want to talk about an obvious need for a rule change (slight hijack of thread) let CDP be 40 cal if it makes PF.

I enjoy watching a good revo shooter. On the other hand, it is absolutely painful to watch less experienced revo shooters fumbling reloads and pulling the trigger on empty cylinders.

Because less experienced semi shooters don't look like monkeys pulling a dead trigger on a locked back pistol or trying to clear malfunctions or forgetting to rack the slide after a reload....????

If you want to talk about an obvious need for a rule change (slight hijack of thread) let CDP be 40 cal if it makes PF.

You ever heard of a guy named Rob Leatham? He had this theory that allowing other calibers into CDP would kill the .45. It kills me to say this,but he's right. Just look at what they did to Revolver in USPSA. You'd end up with the G35 or M&P 40Pro or XDm 40 being the hot pistol for CDP. Never fear though, this won't happen. Joyce won't sell Bill out like that...

I enjoy watching a good revo shooter. On the other hand, it is absolutely painful to watch less experienced revo shooters fumbling reloads and pulling the trigger on empty cylinders.

Because less experienced semi shooters don't look like monkeys pulling a dead trigger on a locked back pistol or trying to clear malfunctions or forgetting to rack the slide after a reload....????

Sorry if my comment came off as offensive. With as few even turn out to shoot major matches, is there any wonder why little thought is even given to revo? There are a few good revo shooters I've seen, like Greg K, but they're far and few. It's seems more like a novelty division.

To quote the Gipper.

Also why no 9mm revos? It's the only feasible way to use moons on a medium frame. They allow .380 BUG autos, but revos must still be .38s.

Do they just hate revolvers?

Because Wilson Combat does not make revolvers.

Just like the 4" barrel CCP is a marketing move so other guy's 4.25" commander 1911 cant compete. All of a sudden the demand for a 9mm 4" Wilson 1911.... 3.5" barrel limit would make much more sense for the game (not sport).

To quote the Gipper.

Also why no 9mm revos? It's the only feasible way to use moons on a medium frame. They allow .380 BUG autos, but revos must still be .38s.

Do they just hate revolvers?

Because Wilson Combat does not make revolvers.

Just like the 4" barrel CCP is a marketing move so other guy's 4.25" commander 1911 cant compete. All of a sudden the demand for a 9mm 4" Wilson 1911.... 3.5" barrel limit would make much more sense for the game (not sport).

We have a 3.5" division...it's called BUG-S.

Sorry if my comment came off as offensive. With as few even turn out to shoot major matches, is there any wonder why little thought is even given to revo? There are a few good revo shooters I've seen, like Greg K, but they're far and few. It's seems more like a novelty division.
Not offended in the least. Just stating that terrible shooters aren't platform induced nor specific. I will say that bad revolver shooters have one advantage over bad semi shooters...they run out of ammunition sooner and are less likely to "go to war with the stage." You know where that guy just has to blow all 31 rounds at the targets because he can. Oh how I want to slap that guy...on second thought... "Everybody hold on...so and so just volunteered to paste ALL the targets. Go on get to it! Chop! Chop!"?

• 4 months later...
On July 19, 2016 at 4:04 PM, GmanCdp said:

8 shot 165PF in CDP

8 shot 125PF in ESP and SSP and CCP 4"BBL

This is how I believe it should be.  I once sold an 8-shot S&W from Performance Center that I really wanted to use but couldn't because IDPA wouldn't accept it and I wouldn't have been competitive with it in USPSA or Icore due to its 2.5 inch barrel. I shoot an old beat up 19 with Comp 3s, and converted Safariland 333 carrier, and I'm still able to finish in the top half, sometimes top 1/3, overall.  I'd love to go after the 1911 guys in CDP with an 8 holer.

Icore is all but dead around here unfortunately, I always enjoyed them but not enough revolver shooters to hold the matches anymore.  I would think it would be easier(cheaper) for a Revo newbie to get into IDPA just based on equipment and round count.

• 1 month later...

Late to the party, but I'm a ICORE/USPSA shooter who just did my first IDPA match. I would love to be able to run my 627 even if it's with the semi's. Or load 8 but draw a procedural for shooting more than 6, like USPSA used to do.

That being said, more baffling is the PF/reload rules. The options I'm presented with are ditch my moonclips and shoot a PF that's too weak to be used defensively (105), or use them but be forced to step up to magnum levels (155). I thought the point of this game was to use realistic loadouts in realistic(ish) scenarios? Why can't I employ my actual IRL carry of medium (but controllable) 38's loaded in moonclips? 

8.2.10 Specialty Divisions (SPD)

A. IDPA encourages shooters to practice their gun handling skills with commonly carried firearms. Many everyday carry firearms do not fit into the 6 competition handgun divisions.

B. IDPA allows clubs to add “Specialty Divisions” for scoring. This division allows cartridges smaller than 9 mm, carry optics, activated lasers, mounted lights, and other firearms which do not fit into the other competition divisions to participate in matches.

C. All other IDPA equipment rules apply for holsters and loading device holders as well as their placement on the body. Match Directors also have the option to allow junior shooters with .22 rimfire firearms to begin strings at low ready in lieu of requiring a holster.

D. All IDPA membership rules apply.

E. Specialty Division classifications are based on the shooters highest classification of regular IPDA divisions.

F. Clubs are not required to implement this provision, and Match Directors are allowed discretion with implementation so that match quality remains high.

On 7/15/2016 at 10:33 PM, Forrest Halley said:

You ever heard of a guy named Rob Leatham? He had this theory that allowing other calibers into CDP would kill the .45. It kills me to say this,but he's right. Just look at what they did to Revolver in USPSA. You'd end up with the G35 or M&P 40Pro or XDm 40 being the hot pistol for CDP. Never fear though, this won't happen. Joyce won't sell Bill out like that...

USPSA allows .40 S&W to shoot major and 9mm to shoot minor in SS. Still the .45 shooters (at least in local matches) outnumber any other caliber in SS.

18 minutes ago, tanks said:

USPSA allows .40 S&W to shoot major and 9mm to shoot minor in SS. Still the .45 shooters (at least in local matches) outnumber any other caliber in SS.

That is because 9 minor has a capacity advantage and .40 and .45 have points. Reload strategy makes 9 make sense sometimes but not usually.

With revo, and 8 round neutral arrays, 6 shot just plain loses

But then again....IDPA....ewwww

Edited by fastluck13

12 hours ago, fastluck13 said:

With revo, and 8 round neutral arrays, 6 shot just plain loses

Exactly. It's why ICORE added Limited 6 (though the arrays are supposed to be 6-round neutral I think, lol). In USPSA you can at least shoot major and get the scoring advantage with six, though it's probably still better to run 8. That's why the IDPA rule confuses me. I love moon clips, and all my rigs are set up for them, but they're not a big enough advantage to make switching to major make sense.

18 hours ago, v1911 said:

You can. It just won't be for score. Would that stop you from having fun?

Yes, to a point it would loose some of the fun. Shooting IDPA is a competition, why would I want to shoot a competition for no score? Why would I want to shoot revolver division with one other guy? Shooting revolvers is fun, but if I'm going to be shooting by myself I'll save my money and just go to the range alone.

I'd rather just shoot ESP, always someone to shoot against in that division. If I could shoot ESP with a revolver I probably would. I don't see how it would hurt the division in anyway, but it could pull some revolver shooters from other sports to come play.

Im sorry. I was thinking you were looking to shoot local matches. Which they would allow for you to join in the fun, it just wouldn't be submitted upstream to HQ.

And if you were referring to local matches, then I don't see what's stopping you. It's not like people try to break down the finishes by divisions and classifications. It's normally an overall view of how people did. 

In my mind, not for score=not for score. Local or major doesn't really matter. Personally I've decided not to shoot a revolver anymore but, if they allowed them in ESP for score I would. I don't see it happening so I'll probably never shoot revolver in IDPA again. It's not really a big deal, I just want to share my thinking on it.

I don't think they should add 8 shot to the revolver division. In, fact what I think they should do. Allow 6 & 8 shot revolvers in ESP and SSP and kill Rev as it is now. No one shoots it anyway. I've traveled to major's with only 2-3 revo shooters and they were all different classes. Kinda Pointless, that's why I stopped shooting IDPA Revo.