Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 feeding issue

The gun has about 3k rounds. Had this problem about 4 times so far. Only happens with the 2nd to last round in the mag. To recover, I have to pull the mag out hard, then the slide would chamber.

First I thought it's mag problem, because th issue occured with a particular mag that has a wider lip opening, 0.355" if I recall correctly.

Then I had 1 more occurrence with a brand new K9 mag, lip opening 0.347" wide. I took others' advice to sand down and polished the slide rib corner.

For almost 1k the problem went away. However it came back today, with a fairly new K9 mag.

I am at loss what may be causing this. Any ideas? Thanks.

fff3ea2a633b441c6f846dc2d7bed628.jpg

I had the exact same problem. 10# brand new recoil spring, polished breechface as shining as a mirror. Polished slide rib corner no sharpness at all. My gun is fairly new, and I tried manually push up/down a round along the breechface - very smooth yet not too loose. It feels just right to me.

Could this be a magazine problem? I am using Mec-Gar. Or maybe ammo issue?

I had the exact same problem. 10# brand new recoil spring, polished breechface as shining as a mirror. Polished slide rib corner no sharpness at all. My gun is fairly new, and I tried manually push up/down a round along the breechface - very smooth yet not too loose. It feels just right to me.

Could this be a magazine problem? I am using Mec-Gar. Or maybe ammo issue?

What PF ammo? Soft minor ammo probably needs lower pound recoil spring. Mine likes 8#, with the 10# it may not have time to cycle the round up. Possibly a + weight mag spring? I assume you smoothed the mag follower of any burrs and the mags are clean. Edited by johnbu

Some search on the forum turned up quite a few unsolved mysteries of Stock 2 FTF issues:

1. This thread explained how to polish the breechface and the slide rib corners, but it obviously did not solve OP's problem. In the end, OP has question about what the mag lip gap distance should be. I think brand new mags would have 0.347-0.348:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=233415

2. This thread (I believe by a GM shooting Stock 2) has identical problem, but no resolution in the end:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=231911

3. This is another thread with a lot of input from multiple good shooters. One of the posters was about to sell the gun after multiple attempts to fix the problem, including bullet OAL, polishing breechface, etc. and buying new mags.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=213259

In summary, it looks like the FTF problem with Tanfos is rather common, some having it more frequently than others. I wonder if there is a true fix to this illusive problem.

Edited by JusticeOfToren

Have any of these people checked the bottome of the extractor hook for proper radiusing? Does it happen with every magazine? Is the slide short stroking because your thumbs are touching it? Looks double-feedish.

Edited by Dr Mitch

My new S2 would choke on the next to last round also. I replaced the extractor (the old one looked fine) and stoned a slight radius on the front edge of the slide rib. It now runs perfect. I am running the stock recoil spring whatever it is.