Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Nemesis Lead

Legality of gun

Hi Guys,

I shoot USPSA 98% of the time and have only a basic understanding of IDPA rules.

I recently acquired a Smith and Wesson M & P 9L with the following upgrades:

1) Apex aftermarket barrel.

2) Dan Burwell trigger (trigger looks exactly the same as a stock M & P, but the trigger breaks with less rearward movement, the reset is shorter, and there is less overtravel).

3) Aggressive texturing on the front strap and palm swell insert.

4) Aftermarket sights (Dawson).

Would this be legal for IDPA SSP if I chose to shoot that?

Depending on the match , but I'd say yes. Worst case scenario ESP

If the stippled areas are "easily replaceable" and the barrel matches the factory barrel you should be good for SSP. If not welcome to ESP.

Front strap stippling would be a no go in SSP. All stippling must be limited to readily replaceable grip frame parts.

There is also something there for SSP about the trigger position not changing but I would have to find that again.

As said "texturing" on a permanent part is not allowed in SSP.

So shoot it in ESP. My Burwell standard action is good, a friend's Burwell target is great; a lot better than a baggie of parts and a video.

Front strap stippling would be a no go in SSP. All stippling must be limited to readily replaceable grip frame parts.

There is also something there for SSP about the trigger position not changing but I would have to find that again.

How will this apply to the Sig P320?

How will this apply to the Sig P320?

Not the way you (or I) might think.

IDPA has ruled that the $35 P320 grip module is not a "readily replaceable part of the grip frame" so it is not eligible for stippling in SSP.

I think we got them to concede that it is readily replaceable but then they say that it wasn't a grip part, it was the entire grip so it doesn't meet the requirement.

Do grips on 2011 pistols count as easily replacable?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Do grips on 2011 pistols count as easily replacable?

That's irrelevant because 2011s aren't allowed in SSP.

Doh sorry forgot single action is a no go. Sorry about that

What if instead of stippling the frontstrap, there was just grip tape there (I have another M & P). Is it then a SSP gun?

To keep things straight, gun would have the following:

1) Apex aftermarket barrel.

2) Dan Burwell trigger (trigger looks exactly the same as a stock M & P, but the trigger breaks with less rearward movement, the reset is shorter, and there is less overtravel).

3) Aggressive texturing on the palm swell insert.

4) Aftermarket sights (Dawson).

5) Grip tape on the front strap.

Hi Jim,

The burwell trigger looks like a regular M & P trigger (same position in trigger guard), but the break point is brought forward and the overtravel reduced.

Then I think you would be OK in SSP with tape instead of stippling on the permanent areas of the butt.

I have a Burwell standard and have seen a Burwell target. He does nice work on them.

tape is ok since it is not a permanent fix.. or at least it was with mine at the nationals equipment check last 3 years..

Once again, IDPA rules blow my mind. I can change the 320 grip module faster than I can change the backstrap on an M&P. Yet it's "not readily replaceable"? I use grip tape now anyway (M&P).

It's STOCK Service Pistol. Be happy you can even change the front sight.

It just amazes me how many are afraid of ESP. So many more cool mods you can do and not much competition difference.

JD