Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legality of gun

Nemesis Lead

Hi Guys,

I shoot USPSA 98% of the time and have only a basic understanding of IDPA rules.

I recently acquired a Smith and Wesson M & P 9L with the following upgrades:

1) Apex aftermarket barrel.

2) Dan Burwell trigger (trigger looks exactly the same as a stock M & P, but the trigger breaks with less rearward movement, the reset is shorter, and there is less overtravel).

3) Aggressive texturing on the front strap and palm swell insert.

4) Aftermarket sights (Dawson).

Would this be legal for IDPA SSP if I chose to shoot that?

Front strap stippling would be a no go in SSP. All stippling must be limited to readily replaceable grip frame parts.

There is also something there for SSP about the trigger position not changing but I would have to find that again.

Front strap stippling would be a no go in SSP. All stippling must be limited to readily replaceable grip frame parts.

There is also something there for SSP about the trigger position not changing but I would have to find that again.

How will this apply to the Sig P320?

How will this apply to the Sig P320?

Not the way you (or I) might think.

IDPA has ruled that the $35 P320 grip module is not a "readily replaceable part of the grip frame" so it is not eligible for stippling in SSP.

I think we got them to concede that it is readily replaceable but then they say that it wasn't a grip part, it was the entire grip so it doesn't meet the requirement.

What if instead of stippling the frontstrap, there was just grip tape there (I have another M & P). Is it then a SSP gun?

To keep things straight, gun would have the following:

1) Apex aftermarket barrel.

2) Dan Burwell trigger (trigger looks exactly the same as a stock M & P, but the trigger breaks with less rearward movement, the reset is shorter, and there is less overtravel).

3) Aggressive texturing on the palm swell insert.

4) Aftermarket sights (Dawson).

5) Grip tape on the front strap.