Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Experience with Rx Shooting Glasses

I too got shooting glasses with the dominant eye (right) focused at front sight distqance, and the left (non dominant) eye focused for distance. (66 and eyes getting real tired)

They seem to work of as long as I shoot one eyed, and open both to see where my shots hit.

But

When I try to use them with BOTH eyes open, I see TWO Targets and I can not tell the one seen by my dominant eye (the one that is lined up with my sights) from the other.

I think with my dominant eye focused on front sight, the non dominant eye picks up the target real (extra) clear because that lens is focused for distance. and it equals the target image I see through the combination of lens focused on front sight and target bulry.

They are percieved equally by the brain and I have two targets to choose from (only one of them is lined u with my sights.

I have another pair of glasses with BOTH eyes focused at front sight distance.

The target is percieved as blurry, and there ARE two of them, but I can ignore the one seen through my dominant eye and use the one seen through my dominant eeye (which is the one lined up with my sights).

This way, I get all the advantages of shooting with both eyes open.

I know Brian Enos says you (HE) can shoot just fine (and obviously HE CAN) with only one eye open, but I find that using both eyes, I have less tension in my face (from not having to squint one eye), and more light and periphial vision.

Are there any eye doctors/opticians out there (hopefully in Northern Virginia) that can offer any insight/help on this ????

I use a pair of flip down lenses over my glasses with the lense over my right eye taken off. On the left eye I have it covered with black tape, you can keep both eyes wide open and only see one set of sights and targets, no strain on the face. One eye works fine for me too, I spent way too much $$ on doctors and nothing helped me, good luck.

Hi renaissance7697

There is a lot of discussion on this topic on this link:

http://www.brianenos.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard...1&topic=269

I've done a lot of experimenting and spoken extensively to my optometrist and I think that it comes down to whatever works for you. My current solution is a set of glasses with both lenses focussed on the front sight. I shoot both eyes open but with the dominant eye open wider than the non dominant eye (slight squint).

(Edited by George D at 12:08 pm on Jan. 7, 2003)

R-7697

I had the same problem as you. My shooting glasses have the right dominant eye focused for front sight/left eye focused on distant target but the "double target" thing was a problem. My club's Rangemaster is also an Optician and gave me the following clue!

The solution for me was to put a piece of scotch tape horizontally across the TOP part of the left eyeglass only. Standing straight up and looking down range I can basically see the target which appears just slightly below the left horizontal tape. But when the buzzer goes off, I draw and tilt my head down/forward to obtain the dominate eye focused on the front sight and the fuzzy target. My left open eye now is looking into the blurred tape and no longer causes the double target. Nor do I have to force myself to squint the left eye closed.

I know--it sounds a bit clumsy but it was easy to master, has worked & helped me to continue shooting, remain competitive, and actually improved my scores.

Just put a piece of tape across the top of your left eyeglass and pull out an unloaded gun and practice a few draws and you will "see!"

I use the same thing (near scrip right eye, far scrip left).  I use a Meritt sighter (peep hole) on both eyes lenses.  I shoot both eyes open and see clear target (left eye) pretty clear sights (right eye), as well as a pretty clear target image in the right eye (because of the Meritt sighter).  I can shift brain focus (awareness) between either the sights or target without refocusing.  usually, when I shoot, I am seeing a clear set of sights on a clear target.  The two eye inputs are blended and the sights appear superimposed on the target. It would be impossible to do this without the Meritt sighters which tend to make both the sights and target get close to focused at the same time in the right eye.

I too have my glasses set for monovision.  I have spent a fortune trying to find something that works.  I have my right eye corrected for the front site and my left eye for distance.  I see 2 guns with both eyes, now I can basically do 2 things, I know which gun is the real image so I can shoot that way, or I can squint my left eye a little and the double image dissappears.  You can also shoot with one eye closed which I did for many years with no problems.  Its basically whatever works for you.  I beleive shooting with 2 eyes open is overated.  If you can do it fine, if not then one eye will have to do.  Its the hits on the target that matter.

Thanks all !

I have tried all three basic approaches (as offered in this discussion)

tape - Merit - choose

each helps a bit, and I have learned to make do with a variation of each

That is on a SINGLE Target! (IPSC or Bull)

But

When I am faced with multiple targets

Say a row of plates, or several C-More's arranged on a background........

Nothing works .........except One Eye Shut.

Can't tell the one I want from the others

that Rangemaster who is also an optician.........

Where ????

Northern VA (I hope).

My Rangemaster/Optician is Alan550 that you exchanged threads with last year about this same subject. We are located in Bedford County, VA.

Glad your'e making progress and trying all options. The tape across the  left top works best for me for IDPA style shooting out to about 15 yards.  I shot  a different course of fire today and used the tape/shooting glasses out to 15 or 20 yards and switched glasses, with the

range Officer's permission, to shoot at targets further away. I have become so accustomed to the left eyeglass taped that I now place a piece of tape on my regular "non-shooting" glasses left eyepiece as well for the longer courses of fire rather than squint that eye closed to avoid double sights or targets.

Is the tape idea perfect for all--NO! But it has worked for me and my tired 57 year old eyes. I just prefer iron sights--old fashioned I guess-- and refuse to go to the "open" class sighting systems. So far, anyway!

Reguarding multiple targets, I can engage them much more quickly now using the tape because the dominate eye is on it's own and my brain doesn't have double images to process. I have been using the left eye tape for about six or seven months.

I must be honest with myself and understand that this is as good as it is going to get, sight wise, for me. Therefore, my New Year's resolution is to just plain shoot more! Or in other words, practice, practice, practice!

I think, at this "stage of the game" it would probably be the most effective to use the clear tape on the non-aiming eye. As long as you can see the target you will shoot next while aimed at the current target, your transitions will not suffer.

And as you described, if you basically have a problem with double vision, using glasses that focus on the sights for one eye and the target for the other, only compounds the double vision problem.

be