Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio vs CZ parts quality/issues

I think the slide stop issue is common to both. I'm more wondering about internal part quality e.g. I've heard issues about safeties on tanfos wearing out which sounds a little dangerous, tanfo parts not being totally plug and play which makes me leary of the limited pro which I otherwise like because the safeties need to be changed due to size, and not having confidence in a safety part concerns me.

The limited pro and stock III really appeal to me but if parts are not good in quality then I'm not so sure and might wait for a shadow 2 or build up a P-09.

In my opinion, CZ's trigger is superior. Quality is identical. The Tanfo box is better though:)

I just picked up my first tanfo, after shooting several cz's, and I have to disagree about quality. The tanfo is a much better machined and built gun, than the cz's.

Edited by Apexer

I have had a shadow.

I have shot the shadow 2

I have a s2 Xtreme.

The shadow 2 is a good upgrade from the shadow and the frame updates are nice. I feel this is one area especially where Tanfoglio has had a huge advantage. I still feel the tanfoglio has better checkering feel than the shadow 2 but the gap is now much smaller than it was With the upgrade.

The bevelled magwell is really good on the Tanfoglio, however the cz is not bad in anyway.

Fit feels nicer on the tanfoglio compared to my shadow. The shadow 2 is a step up in build quality from the first spo1 shadow.

People carry on about the trigger differences. They feel different, you will be happy with either once used to them. Both can be great.

Tanfoglio feels bigger in the hand, that may or may not suit you.

Ease of getting parts goes to CZ in my country, I wish I could get Tanfoglio parts easier, in saying that I can get them.

I'd consider the ease of parts and hand size as factors to help make your decision.

Edited by goshimu

Hmm thanks for the input everyone. I'm between the P-09 with full CGW kit and either running the stock hammer for production/ssp while using the CGW hammer for fun otherwise and ssp or the czcustom hammer all the time (sounds like they may just lower the hooks on the hammer which I can do on a spare for half the money), the CZ75 Shadow line with CGW short reset kit including ext firing pin, the limited pro, and the stock III (on either tanfo I would get the $120 upgrade kit that has the Dawson front sight from Stoeger's pro shop and the limited pro I would have to get a new safety).

Leaning towards the P-09 because it fits my hand decently well, I like the fact it can be run with the decocker, there is pretty good Cgw/Cz custom support, it is a bit cheaper than the other options after all is said and done, and it seems they are possibly more reliable than the CZ75 design. I also like the trigger shoe. The fact that it is polymer makes me hesitate a little bit- not that I don't trust the polymer but that I'm wondering if I'll regret not going with a steel frame (or aluminum frame if sphinx/kriss ever makes the fullsize SDP).

I think the stock 3 is aesthetically the best of these to me but I'm worried about not liking the weight and where the weight is, plus of the 4 I believe only the stock III is not ssp legal although I don't like shooting idpa that much and the closest club is far. I'm also worried that I'll be pissed if something breaks i.e. a safety. Consensus seems to be that the tanfo stocks/limited pros have worse triggers than shadows out of the box and I'm not going to go buy an upgraded hammer and sear for the tanfos. For less money than the tanfos with the basic Stoeger upgrade kit, I could get a few cgw parts for the shadow line.

My hands are on the bigger size aka large gloves and extended slide releases on Glocks cause me to prevent slide lock. Regular ones are perfect for my strong hand to manipulate without changing grip, while not having slide lock issues. I'm guessing that translates to maybe preferring the tanfo size grip but my main goals are having something that won't force me to compromise my grip i.e. the PPQ and it's huge slide release levers, or something with a poorly design mag release, and I think any of these pistols satisfies these criteria.

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

The Limited Pro is the only IDPA legal Tanfo.

The stock III weighs too much, and the bull barrel on the stock II won't even let it play in ESP.

The Tanfos fit bigger hands better... but if you don't want to build your own gun (fit your own safety, sear, etc) or send it off to a 'smith and you require a Shadow-esque trigger? The Tanfo may not be right for you.

I'd reconsider the P series gun, however. The weight of the steel frames combined with the sexy SA trigger you get for all but one shot? Those are the reason everyone is jumping on the DA/SA / CZ / Tanfo bandwagon. By choosing a plastic framed gun you're losing one of the biggest reasons people shoot CZs in matches in the first place.

I'm not overly concerned about being able to do IDPA so perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it.

I don't mind doing some work but the tanfos parts seem harder to get and more expensive than CZ.

Something I am not clear on is whether the CGW P-09 hammer is production legal, online some people are claiming it is, but I don't see how this makes sense unless it is a don't ask don't tell type thing since it sort of looks like a factory hammer. From reading some more it sounds like the CZC P-09 hammer might not work that well with the CGW short reset kit, and may be just as questionable for production. I suppose this is all along the same vein as things like using different Glock slides on different Glock frames, except more is to be gained.

Without changing the hammer on the P-09 or changing the geometry I'm a little concerned the SA pull will have the same terrible creep as from factory.

The other thing is that if I got a shadow it would probably be a 75 shadow and not an SP-01 shadow. I'm not sure how much is actually gained versus the P-09 with the lack of the heavy rail.

• 1 month later...

Not trying to be a fanboy or anything so I'll leave 1911s out. But I just picked up a tanfoglio stock 2 and with the upgrades ARy is talking about, it's as good or better than my 1911s. I got mine just to shoot production with. So I was trying to get stuff light but also consistent.

Bolo disconnector, titan hammer, extreme single piece sear, lighter sear spring, lighter hammer spring, Henning firing pin. Reset Has a good feel, it's a consistent break without mush or stack in double action and single action is excellent.

All around it's a good package, the only thing else I might change are the basepads on the mags and possibly the front sight. But Other than that, it's more accurate than I am and it's reliable so far with no FTFs or FTEs with about 500 rounds down the tube.

My buddy has an SP01 shadow and stock for stock his is better. But how many people keep a competition gun factory stock, even in production... Not many. When he does some work, it will probably be comparable to mine now, but his was also more money.

Edited by ryridesmotox

On 8/25/2016 at 4:57 AM, bulm540 said:

I've had to opportunity to shoot the tangfo and the p09 side by side. Chose the tangfo by a mile. I too was on the fence between a p09 and a tangfo , I am glad I chose the tangfo. ( personal preference).

P09 and Tanfo (Or sp-01) are two absolutely different guns. You can not compare Omega trigger on a polymer gun (P09)  with Stock 2 or SP-01 Shadow. It is like comparing a revolver with a glock:) 

Edited by cheby

3 hours ago, cheby said:

P09 and Tanfo (Or sp-01) are two absolutely different guns. You can not compare Omega trigger on a polymer gun (P09)  with Stock 2 or SP-01 Shadow. It is like comparing a revolver with a glock:) 

think stock P09 trigger is better than stock , stock 2 trigger. My stock 2 trigger brike at 12 pounds DA and 5-6 pounds SA. 

Edited by bulm540

I thought glocks were revolvers ?

Anyway... IMHO, out of the box, cz has a better trigger, as tanfo springs them STRONG.  But...with work on both, the tanfo can be made as good or better than the best CZ.  it depends on what factor of trigger the user prefers to say which is "better".  I've pulled the trigger on Stoeger's S2 and Hopkins CZ. Both are excellent, neither would be kicked off my range for eating crackers in bed!  I also agree with ARy, the new parts like BOLO and PD springs makes dinking with tanfos simpler and more effective than ever before.  Can't go wrong with either just choose the one that fits the hand better.  In my case, I can drop the tanfo mag wo changing grip, but need to shift grip for the CZ.  

On 08/30/2016 at 1:48 PM, cheby said:

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've got CGW down the road from me, but Patriot Defense or BSPS is very quick to ship parts. I wouldn't let parts availability impact the choice. My CGW CZ75 is like an antique compared to the newer Tanfoglio guns or the new Shadow 2. Ergos, weight balance, trigger.

The shadow 2 is "easier" to make a super light trigger that can hit hard primers. A tuned Tanfoglio will be better than an out of the box shadow 2 and for slightly less money.

I've played with the shadow 2 and shoot a stock III nearly every weekend. I can shoot either just as well as the other. If you already have small frame magazines, then maybe stick with CZ as EAA doesn't import many small frame tanfos.

• 1 month later...

cz 75 is very good design  and trigger system is  more simple than in tanfoglio  and in  my opinion its better.

new models like shadow  and sh2  looks good and you can make good trigger job more easy than on tan.

but  tanfoglio  use for their pistols the best type of steel for all their parts .compare to new cz guns that  i don't  know exactly what type of steel they  use  but not good like on tan.

from cz new guns i prefer  regular cz 75 ,shadow sp-01 ,tactical sport and tso.

i will not purchase  shadow- 2, because in ours shooting club  from 5 guns  sh-2   4 of them have frame failure issues  like this.

*5F34700B316A

Edited by yigal

On 6/17/2016 at 12:29 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Pick whichever one fits your hand better. 

+1000 . The rest you can deal with.

For me (6'1 normal size hands for my height I guess).

1.Tanfo Stock 2

2. CZ 75

3. CZ Shadow 2

I think the Tanfo takes more work to get the reloads right though. For me anyway, could just be that I have spent lots more time with the CZ's. 

• 1 year later...

Sorry for pulling up an old string. But the best quote from above has to be Carlb86. "The shadow 2 is "easier" to make a super light trigger that can hit hard primers. A tuned Tanfoglio will be better than an out of the box shadow 2 and for slightly less money." I bought the Shadow 2 because i couldn't find a Stock 3 in my state. Well right after i bought the Shadow 2 i found a Stock 3 and the TZ has much better a balance and it fits my hand better. I will buy the Stock 3 and will test both extensively. 

• 2 weeks later...

Since you brought up the dead thread . . . 😉

In my experience - Tanfo parts break regularly, even the barrel in the case of my Gold Custom.

CZ parts don’t.  They just work, especially if you replace the slide stop at the appropriate interval.  

Edited by Whoops!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, xdf3 said:

Is a Tanfoglio stock2 more accurate than a Shadow2?

Let's suppose you have all the support, what would you pick?

I've heard more than once that the accuracy difference is noticeable. 

Anything reported that does not involve a ransom rest, more than one example of each gun, and a good bit of load development I would personally take with very few grains of salt. 

They are both proven to be accurate enough to win any USPSA/IPSC event. 

Tanfo's fit my hand better so I sold the Shadow 2.