Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scott's Road to USPSA Success

SCTaylor

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn it, my hands hurt this morning. Means I'm gripping the gun properly again. Probably the #2 reason I shot such a pathetic amount of Alphas at the Gator. #1 was purely behavioral, not seeing what I need to see.

• 2 weeks later...

The season is pretty much, kind of, somewhat over. I’m still going to shoot the December local match and have a Stoeger class in December but the serious practice is off for about the next 3 weeks.

Finished up with the Area 59 Championship, Level 2 match. I had no preconceived notions going to the match, I just wanted to have fun and trust myself. Which, in the end, turned out pretty danged well.  Finished 9th overall in Production, 3rd B class. Really weird part, I still would have been 3rd A or 3rd Master… B class is such an oddity, some really good shooters seem “stuck” in B. Anyway.

Below is the only video from the match, Stage 2.  I wound up with a stage win on this one and was 18th in the overall match.

Now to the offseason, I’ve got about 10,000 rounds to load, guns to clean, along with a few weeks of no dry-fire and generally taking some mental time off.

After the Stoeger class, December 11th and 12th, I’ll get back to dryfire and some live fire. 2018 is going to be a great season and I want to get a head start.

• 1 month later...

Been working on proper grip and trigger control. Found out I was way over gripping with my strong hand, pulling the trigger with my whole hand as well as some issues with pushing down.

Dry fire has been primarily maintaining my current level of speed while doing everything properly.

I'm also working on my 2018 goals and general training outline which will be complete by Jan 1.

So I’ve had a few questions on what I’m doing to fix my grip, so here is a run down.

Look up PPS #165 about 10 minutes in. It’s basically a doubles drill but the draw time and time between sets of doubles does not matter.

This drill focuses on 2 things grip/trigger control and acceptable sight pictures.

Start at about 7 yards, shoot a pair, repeat 5 pairs per mag for 5 mags. Basically 50 shots at 7 yards. Repeat at 10, 15, 20, 25 etc.

Focus on the grip pressure and pulling the trigger straight back. My problem was over gripping with my strong hand, pushing the entire gun when pulling the trigger. Fix is to relax strong hand and crush with support.

I went from total crap to okay in about 30 minutes with this drill. I’ve only done it once since my December class with Stoeger but has helped my focus in dry fire as well.

ac9b475b025685e2b028ddad26efe16a.jpg

That target was already shot some but the “bright” black tape was from that session. Went from 50/50 a/c to 80/20 in 200 rounds.

Head shots were just messing around at 20 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, superluckycat said:

Do you use a timer with the above drill?

Yes, but it is to time splits versus total time or draw time.  There are set standards in Stoeger's books regarding split times at specified distances.

My method is to shoot the specified times & learn how to control grip/trigger control at that speed.

Spent some time working on position entry and exits. Boxes were 15’ apart with targets at simulated 10 yards.

Drill focused on driving out of initial position hard, trying to reach top speed. The reload was almost secondary to moving, but I wanted it complete ready to enter the 2nd position. Coming into the 2nd position, deceleration via small chop/stutter steps to settle into position.

I’m doing much better, but still a lot of small things to work on.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Another match in the books. Wound up 5th of 25 in production and 19th of 80 overall.  I left a TON of points out there, shot 85% points and 73% alphas.  I did have a solid execution of stage plans, aside from 1 target almost forgotten.  Also missed steel like it was the cool thing to do.

But I moved well into and out of position, moved like my arse was on fire and my hair was about to catch.  Shot well into position, need to work on shooting out of position now. Plus get my trigger control further refined.

• 4 weeks later...

Good news! I’m still not out of B class yet but shot a 83% on Fluffy’s Revenge II, 75% on Diamond Cutter, and 88% on Can You Count. %’s based on AZ Calc, guess I’ll know for sure this week.

It looks like I need one more 75% to jump to A. At an estimated 72% now. But I seem to shoot classifiers about once per year...

Thanks Billy.

Turns out the estimate was right. I missed A by 1 classifier, popped a no shoot by 1”, lost an Alpha and a 76% run.

Meh, soon enough and I’ll just skip A all together.

I'm refocusing dryfire into two catagories 1.) gun handling / classifier skills and 2.) field course / movement skills.

This allows me to draft a training schedule specifically to weak points during each session. I've got a few big matches this year and feel like my shooting is coming along very well, at a high level.

First up is 4/28, the LSI Texas State Open. Then US IPSC in July, Area 4 in September and culminating with USPSA Nations in October.