Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Airgun DQ

WaJim

So it was brought to my attention at my last match that airgunning with an object in your hand could be grounds for a DQ.

I was actually airgunning a half a sprinkled doughnut when the rule was pointed out to a fellow shooter that was using a Tactical Banana. :D

I have a nasty habit of holding my mag that I'm going to start with in my off hand before I start and have skirted trouble with this mag before (See Safety Area thread).

When its my turn I like to be ready so ill have the full mag in my left hand instead of a back pocket and I know I've airgunned with this mag hanging from my fist just before everyone comes back from taping.

I asked after Pistol league last night and was told that this was a true rule. I need to break the mag hold habit and will purchase a magnet for my belt so I don't have to fish it out of my pocket.

I'm fully aware airgunning IDPA is a no go but was not aware of this rule in USPSA. I've only been shooting a couple years. One day my luck will run out and ill have to walk because of a rule infringement.

Just a heads up......

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty sure their ruling wasn't actually based on the rule book as there is no such rule except for 8.7.2 which doesn't support either the lack of a doughnut or a DQ.

It is a procedural penalty in IPSC, and if using a gun replica in USPSA, not a DQ.

Here is the USPSA rule:

8.7.2 Competitors are prohibited from using any guns or gun replicas as sighting aids while conducting their inspection (“walkthrough”) of a course of fire. Violations will incur one procedural penalty per occurrence (also see Rule 10.5.1).

Here is the IPSC rule:

8.7.2 Competitors are prohibited from using any sighting aid (e.g. the whole or part of an imitation or replica firearm, any part of a real firearm including any accessories thereof etc.), except for their own hands, while conducting their inspection ("walkthrough") of a course of fire. Violations will incur one procedural penalty per occurrence (also see Rule 10.5.1).

Procedural:

a5sOFvv.jpg

Only because it's not a Brown Sugar & Cinnamon pop tart...

Although I wonder...could that now be construed as a gun replica?

Dumb, but I wonder now after looking at the above "pop tart" if we need to define "gun replica"?

It is a procedural penalty in IPSC, and if using a gun replica in USPSA, not a DQ.

Here is the USPSA rule:

8.7.2 Competitors are prohibited from using any guns or gun replicas as sighting aids while conducting their inspection (“walkthrough”) of a course of fire. Violations will incur one procedural penalty per occurrence (also see Rule 10.5.1).

Here is the IPSC rule:

8.7.2 Competitors are prohibited from using any sighting aid (e.g. the whole or part of an imitation or replica firearm, any part of a real firearm including any accessories thereof etc.), except for their own hands, while conducting their inspection ("walkthrough") of a course of fire. Violations will incur one procedural penalty per occurrence (also see Rule 10.5.1).

in case grumpys post doesn't make it clear, my understanding is that in uspsa you *may* hold a donut, banana, or magazine while airgunning. In ipsc you may definitely not hold magazine, and even a banana or donut may get you in trouble if you run into an inventive guy who likes to screw shooters over.

Procedural:

a5sOFvv.jpg

Nick, Glock-Tarts and Monster energy for breakfast...and you're such a mellow dude.

Thanks for the clarification guys.

I could deal with a procedural if it came to that.......DQ would be hard to take.

WaJim from what I've picked up here if you don't agree with the ruling or espoused possibilities, the best response is "show me in the rule book". I'm a new guy so I'm still learning too.

Here is the USPSA rule:

8.7.2 Competitors are prohibited from using any guns or gun replicas as sighting aids while conducting their inspection (walkthrough) of a course of fire. Violations will incur one procedural penalty per occurrence (also see Rule 10.5.1).

Here is the IPSC rule:

in case grumpys post doesn't make it clear, my understanding is that in uspsa you *may* hold a donut, banana, or magazine while airgunning. In ipsc you may definitely not hold magazine, and even a banana or donut may get you in trouble if you run into an inventive guy who likes to screw shooters over.
Don't you remember the famous shooter who got dinged for holding a towel in his hands at IPSC Nationals or somewhere similar. It was all over these forums with pics etc. IPSC don't allow nothing in the hands:

Here is the USPSA rule:

8.7.2 Competitors are prohibited from using any guns or gun replicas as sighting aids while conducting their inspection (walkthrough) of a course of fire. Violations will incur one procedural penalty per occurrence (also see Rule 10.5.1).

Here is the IPSC rule:

Don't you remember the famous shooter who got dinged for holding a towel in his hands at IPSC Nationals or somewhere similar. It was all over these forums with pics etc. IPSC don't allow nothing in the hands:

right. their rules don't say that, but inventive rules nazis can create a tribal rule to penalize people they want to penalize.

Here is the USPSA rule:

Here is the IPSC rule:

right. their rules don't say that, but inventive rules nazis can create a tribal rule to penalize people they want to penalize.

:roflol:

Here is the USPSA rule:

Here is the IPSC rule:

Until that time, I had no idea that I had a sighting aid hanging in my bathroom...

WaJim from what I've picked up here if you don't agree with the ruling or espoused possibilities, the best response is "show me in the rule book". I'm a new guy so I'm still learning too.

This is exactly correct.

It's also why everyone should take the Level 1 RO course and carry a rulebook with them at all times.

yep i was friendly warned similarly when i had a mag in my hand air gunning a uspsa stage. read the rules when i got home and it's only a procedural (and not a dq) if one air guns with a gun or gun replica, so i let the guy who warned me know at the next match.

still trying to figure out how you can air gun a stage with an actual gun, isn't that pretty much a dq for whipping it out without RO command?

yep i was friendly warned similarly when i had a mag in my hand air gunning a uspsa stage. read the rules when i got home and it's only a procedural (and not a dq) if one air guns with a gun or gun replica, so i let the guy who warned me know at the next match.

still trying to figure out how you can air gun a stage with an actual gun, isn't that pretty much a dq for whipping it out without RO command?

I am pretty sure that is why the rule references 10.5.1

Yes it would be a DQ. But a gun replica could be a squirt gun

got carried away typing - procedural airgunning with gun replica. dq airgunning with an actual gun (duh), though i guess with 10.5.1 it's allowed when LAMR under RO command and taking a sight pic.