Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

follow through

bkeeler

Exactly what is follow through in shooting?

Is it the same thing as calling the shot?

I know what follow through is when throwing a baseball or swinging a bat but im just not sure what it is like in shooting.

When I shoot I watch the front site lift out of the notch, call the shot

then come back in the notch then i fire the next round, watch the front site lift call the shot then onto the next target.

Is that follow through or am I missing something?

Thanks

bkeeler

Ah, very good question, Brian covers this very well in his book.

Follow through consist of holding the sites on the target "after the gun fires", it's a split second after the release of the trigger and before, and somewhat during, the initial sight lift.

It goes along with calling your shot.

The trick, which allows the activity of followthrough to call the shot, is to learn to read where the shot went by reading the sites at the moment the shot fired. It has nothing to do with the activity of trying to hit a particular area or spot on a target, however.

You might read "The Call to Followthrough" post in my site, here:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/words.html#expanded

(You'll have to scroll down a tad.)

be

Since reading the posts on blinking, I've begun paying attention to what happens when I trigger a shot, and I've found, to my chagrin, I do indeed blink when the shot goes off. <hangs head in shame> I've worked on stopping that, and I still do it. But the weird thing is, I've gotten to the point now that I blink right AFTER the shot. I can see the sight picture at the instant the gun fires, then I blink between shots. By the time the sight is down out of recoil I'm on it again, and again I can see the sight picture at the instant the gun fires for the next shot. It doesn't seem to slow me down, or affect my accuracy, and I can call my shots.

Weird.

I'd still prefer to not be blinking at all, but I'm wondering if that's really necessary, what advantages I'd get from not blinking compared to what I'm doing now.

"I'd still prefer to not be blinking at all, but I'm wondering if that's really necessary, what advantages I'd get from not blinking compared to what I'm doing now."

Duane,

Absolutely devote the time to train yourself to not blink at all times.

IMMEDIATELY after you see enough to call the shot, your eye needs to be locating the next target.

Transition speed is totally dependent on SEEING - at all times.

By simply directing your attention to your eye/face, and consciously holding your attention there during the ENTIRE shooting cycle - shot to shot or target to target - this problem will eventually "fix itself." Then later, now and then, do temporary "re-scans" of your eye/face to be sure your still keepin' 'em open.

be

I think shooting steel helps to see this (steel challenge type) because you have to be able to call shots quickly, transition quickly and follow through.  I like shooting steel, but I hate seeing how SLOW I am at it.

Watched Travis shoot steel today....holy crap!  Fast, smooth, makes me want to go out and practice.....:)

Transition speed is influenced by two factors:

1) IMMEDIATE, instantaneous, calling of the shot;

2) Simultaneous visual acquisition of the next target (either centrally or peripherally).

When you understand transition speed properly, there's really no "speed" involved. Moving quickly (to the next target) is the result of your INTENTION  to shoot the next target as quickly as possible, and is manifested by the occurrence of the previous two conditions.

be