Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

clays on ground

FF423

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on the mine, it might be better to make the shooter finish this stage with his foot on the mine. That way he still has a chance to shoot all the targets he can but mine doesn't detonate until his release.

I personally find very little practicality in any part of USPSA but dont often belabor that fact.

True practical shooting would be pretty boring.

Gun on table with ammo on another table?

Gun in mailbox?

Gun holstered unloaded?

Open guns?

29 round mags?

Charging into a gang of 16 bad guys?

Shooting while holding a briefcase?

One shot kills steel but paper needs two?

Fault lines? Really?

Do something unsafe in a GUNFIGHT so you just stop?

COME ON!! Let's have some fun and quit dissecting every stage SOMEBODY ELSE took the time to design and set up so you could have fun with guns.

Hmm, I have two friends that stepped on land mines and stayed in the fight. I'll let them know the IPSC Lawyers said it was not practical.

Was this on their daily commute to work or on a trip to the grocery store?

Edited by d_striker

I personally find very little practicality in any part of USPSA but dont often belabor that fact.

Gun in mailbox?

Gun holstered unloaded?

Open guns?

29 round mags?

Fault lines? Really?

COME ON!! Let's have some fun and quit dissecting every stage SOMEBODY ELSE took the time to design and set up so you could have fun with guns.

Agreed. But then again, I'm not the one that said simulated land mines were practical.

Hmm, I have two friends that stepped on land mines and stayed in the fight. I'll let them know the IPSC Lawyers said it was not practical.

You may want to actually understand the foundations of the sport by talking to the men who founded it before jumping on the soapbox.

You may want to actually understand the foundations of the sport by talking to the men who founded it before jumping on the soapbox.

Not on a soapbox. Just having some discussion. That is what an internet forum is for, right?

Trying to understand the foundations of the sport is exactly what I'm trying to do through this discussion. All I have to go off of are the principles of IPSC, two of which I posted earlier.

Please enlighten me.

Not on a soapbox. Just having some discussion. That is what an internet forum is for, right?

Trying to understand the foundations of the sport is exactly what I'm trying to do through this discussion. All I have to go off of are the principles of IPSC, two of which I posted earlier.

Please enlighten me.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Practical_shootingI'm

Kevin is absolutely right. There is nothing practical about USPSA or IPSC, anymore. It is a tremendously fun gun game. That is all. One may get practical gun handling practice, but not tactics. And I like it just fine that way. And the land mine stage was fun.

I want to think of them as the eggs of an endangered species that only lives on my private land, preventing me from doing anything with the land but what the government tells me too. Oh wait, then I'd stomp everyone.

Would it make you feel better if they were simulated flowers and you took a procedural for trampling the plants?

Ultimately, I don't care what a MD wants to incorporate into a stage. Just don't say that simulated land mines are practical and expect me to agree.

Edited by d_striker

Would it make you feel better if they were simulated flowers and you took a procedural for trampling the plants?

Ultimately, I don't care what a MD wants to incorporate into a stage. Just don't tell me that simulated land mines are practical and expect me to agree.

Only things you see on the way to work or going to the grocery are... practical?

What if they were snapping turtles? Honey badgers? Pressure cookers?

Ultimately, I don't care what a MD wants to incorporate into a stage. Just don't tell me that simulated land mines are practical and expect me to agree.

Only things you see on the way to work or going to the grocery are... practical?

Going to work or to the grocery store are just two examples of everyday things the majority of first world country residents do.

In my book and I believe the founders of IPSC's book, "practical" means anything that one may reasonably encounter in day to day life.

Gun in mailbox?

Gun holstered unloaded?

Open guns?

29 round mags?

Fault lines? Really?

Agreed, none of this is practical It is after all just a game. For some it is a game to enjoy and for others it is a game to complain about.

Going to work or to the grocery store are just two examples of everyday things the majority of first world country residents do.

In my book and I believe the founders of IPSC's book, "practical" means anything that one may reasonably encounter in day to day life.

I assume you don't attend marathons, go to bars, movies, schools, churches, sporting events, etc. ...where unpractical things happen here in the USofA. Can you give some practical examples from your everyday life that we could build stages around? Please keep it less than 32 rounds, and no more than 8 shots that have to be taken from any one location.

Maybe the MD should call them 'yard mines'. If you step on one you must drag that foot for the remainder of the stage to simulate trying to scrape the dogshit off your shoe. Tell me scraping a yard mine off you shoe is not practical, and something you have never done.

I assume you don't attend marathons, go to bars, movies, schools, churches, sporting events, etc. ...where unpractical things happen here in the USofA. Can you give some practical examples from your everyday life that we could build stages around? Please keep it less than 32 rounds, and no more than 8 shots that have to be taken from any one location.

You assume wrong. I do all of those things. However, you are assuming the conclusion of impracticality. Bad things happen all the time. Labeling those as "unpractical" events is not entirely accurate. Our game is conducted with firearms. We are already implicitly accepting the event of, as you call it, an "unpractical" event. Transposing these "unpractical" events onto our implicit acceptance of said events in order to dismiss the notion of practicality is fallacious.

But to answer your question, I do all of the following regularly:

-Getting out of a vehicle

-Sitting down reading a book

-Lying down

-Carrying a briefcase

Ultimately, I don't care what a MD wants to incorporate into a stage. Just don't say that simulated land mines are practical and expect me to agree.

they may not be practical for *you*, but neither is having to shoot 16 aggressors (some with hostages) in 20 seconds or less. I have 2 dogs, so when I dryfire in my backyard, I already have to watch out for land mines.

I haven't seen these 'land mines' used, but as long as it's not too gimmicky it sounds cool. Having to manage looking where you are stepping while also paying attention to targets and gunhandling sounds like a practical shooting challenge to me. I'll leave to dorky pretend real-world scenario BS to that other shooting sport.