Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about humidity

CrashDodson

I reload in my garage in West texas. It's HOT and dry here. Would using a water fan/evaporative cooler in my garage for when I'm loading be a bad idea? Not sure how it could effect powder.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Doubt it would be a big issue unless you get condensation in the powder.

For reference, I load in the garage here in Houston. Last week I swear it was 85* and 90%+ humidity; I've never had a round fail due to loading in humid conditions.

I load in Florida - high humidity. I have seen no ill affects. I do maintain some level of temp control with an AC, but not to a great extent.

One suggestion -- load your powder measure when you start reloading, and empty it back into the factory powder container when you're done. Don't leave it in the hopper for extended periods of time.

I've also had no problems with primers -- even those left outside in a non-temperature controlled storage shed.

Humidity doesn't seem to be an issue, at least for me.

I guess a dryer climate gives a higher risk of sparks from static electricity - but I've not heard of anyone igniting their powder in that way

Sent by Jedi mind control

I am in the DFW area and load in the garage. I also run a dehumidifier 24 hours a day. In the summer I empty about 2 gallons of water out of it every day.

I don't know if it makes a difference as far as powder and primers go ( I have had no reliability or consistency issues), but it makes me feel good running a dehumidifier. Out in Odessa you can run a "Swamp Cooler" in your garage and still have less humidity than I do in DFW.

I miss living in West Texas :).

Just my .02,

LeonCarr