Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry fire Question

anbrumm

For those of you who shoot a DA/SA gun, what is your method in dry fire? DA each time, DA first and nothing on the subsequent shots etc?

Double action on the first shot, don't let the trigger reset for subsequent shots.

For those of you who shoot a DA/SA gun, what is your method in dry fire? DA each time, DA first and nothing on the subsequent shots etc?

Double action on the first shot, don't let the trigger reset for subsequent shots.

This is what Ben Stoeger and Steve Anderson both recommend.

Good drill if you do live fire, load 1 bullet in magazine and then go hot, drop the magazine out so you don't go to slide lock. Shoot once on target and then shoot again to see if your trigger pull is nice and steady.

I just picked up a product called Dry Fire Mag for Glocks, took some work with my Pyramid Trigger but the owner and creator was VERY helpful and got it to work. Next up is a laser barrel from Laserlyte and the LASR system to practice and track shots!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For my CZ SP01 Shadow I replicate what I would be doing in a real match. I draw first shot DA and then after that I don't let the trigger out I keep it held back roughly in the reset area. I think it has done wonders for me. I know a lot of guys that just cycle the DA I think this develops bad muscle memory. Your finger is going to expect to be doing a long hard pull everytime and thats just not how it is with DA/SA

For my CZ SP01 Shadow I replicate what I would be doing in a real match. I draw first shot DA and then after that I don't let the trigger out I keep it held back roughly in the reset area. I think it has done wonders for me. I know a lot of guys that just cycle the DA I think this develops bad muscle memory. Your finger is going to expect to be doing a long hard pull everytime and thats just not how it is with DA/SA

With my limited Glock I use the "cardboard holding slide out of battery" trick. And for my DA/SA (SP-01) I will usually leave the gun in SA mode and just work the take-up of the trigger without actually breaking any shots. I make sure to finish each dryfire session with a bunch of timed draws and a full DA trigger press, just to make sure that I keep that skill fresh.

I run a 2011 with a very light trigger.  I rarely touch the hammer when doing dry fire.  Mostly I grip the shit out of the gun and slap the trigger as hard as I can...because thats what I am going to be doing in live fire.  The hammer falling doesnt change that for me.  If I was running a production rig i might do it differently.