Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry fire Question

anbrumm

I had a question regarding dry fire practice. I did some searching, but didn't see much for my question.

Anyways, when practicing dry firing do you just pull off the first shot and then focus on getting a good sight picture after that? I'm looking into practicing dry fire more as I want to start getting into USPSA.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

No. If you prioritize pulling the trigger rather than seeing the sight, it's a bad practice IMO.

If you get better, your sight is first then the body reacts to your vision. Because that's what you are going to do when you shoot. See first then pull. Don't pull then see.

No. If you prioritize pulling the trigger rather than seeing the sight, it's a bad practice IMO.

If you get better, your sight is first then the body reacts to your vision. Because that's what you are going to do when you shoot. See first then pull. Don't pull then see.

I realize my question may have been worded wrong. I meant it in terms of not racking the slide all the time. So you get your sight picture, and pull the trigger on the first time. Any following targets just get a good sight picture and "fake" pull the trigger? Otherwise on a Glock style gun the trigger doesn't reset after each pull.

I realize my question may have been worded wrong. I meant it in terms of not racking the slide all the time. So you get your sight picture, and pull the trigger on the first time. Any following targets just get a good sight picture and "fake" pull the trigger? Otherwise on a Glock style gun the trigger doesn't reset after each pull.

Put a thin piece of paper or cardboard or something in the ejection port of your Glock to just barely lock it out of battery. You should be able to pull your trigger repeatedly even though the striker isn't cocked.

Dry firing is more about learning to acquire targets/indexing, drawing, reloading. Not so much on the trigger press.

Depends on what you are working on. You can definitely work on trigger press via dry firing.

yeah, I'm with the fake trigger pull crowd here. Click on the first one, then pull the trigger with the same force it took you to make it click the first time with good sight pictures. If all is working well you should be able to do that without the sight moving as you "break" each shot. I dry fire at least 6 shots per draw on scaled targets.

The goal is not realistic trigger pull, it's trigger finger movement on sight picture without moving the gun(sights).

Thanks for all the replies. That is kind of what I figured, but I wanted to make sure. I didn't see any reason to rack the slide everytime, but I know sometimes I work on my trigger press. When I do that I rack the slide every time.

Dry firing is more about learning to acquire targets/indexing, drawing, reloading. Not so much on the trigger pres

(Not so much on the trigger press). This is what dry firing is all about developing a smooth consistent trigger pull. If you cannot pull the trigger while not disturbing the sight picture then all the target acquisition, drawing, and reloading will be for not. For dry fire practice place a quarter, nickel, or dime the choice of coin is yours on top of the gun right behind the front sight. Pull the trigger without making the coin fall of the gun. When you can achieve that with consistency then add this which would be practice, acquire targets/indexing, drawing.

Dry fire is all about trigger pull practice

Dry fire is all about trigger pull practice

Trigger pull is certainly one of the things you can work on in dry fire, but I wouldn't say dry fire is all about trigger control. There's a lot of stuff you can work on by pulling a dead trigger, or by not pulling the trigger at all. Edited by FTDMFR

I agree to disagree, my thought is if you are unsuccessful at trigger control ( smooth & keeping sights on target) all the speed of the draw, target acquisition is for not if you can't produce a smooth trigger pull. Just my take on it.

I agree to disagree, my thought is if you are unsuccessful at trigger control ( smooth & keeping sights on target) all the speed of the draw, target acquisition is for not if you can't produce a smooth trigger pull. Just my take on it.

I do agree with this. I think trigger control trumps pretty much everything. I'm just saying that after a certain level, when your trigger control and shot calling get pretty good, then you can start working on other things independently of trigger control. Edited by FTDMFR

As a new guy; if I paid so much attention to trigger control as to never let them wiggle then I'd still be slower than old people....

It's a mix, I want to see my sights with each pull stay damn steady but I've gotta push myself on a bill drill to get faster while maintaining acceptable sight stability.

Edited by SCTaylor

On a Glock, put a rubber band or small piece of something in the ejection port to hold the slide out of battery and keep a live trigger.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Put a thin piece of paper or cardboard or something in the ejection port of your Glock to just barely lock it out of battery. You should be able to pull your trigger repeatedly even though the striker isn't cocked.
Should have kept scrolling!

that is true, but it doesn't seem to me it takes very long to learn trigger control, and then there's a whole bunch of other stuff you can do in dryfire.

Should have kept scrolling!

Just affirms that my advice was good. My daughter is learning to shoot a Glock and I keep a tag from a piece of clothing in my gun safe and tear off a small piece as needed. Drop that on top of the barrel through the ejection port with the gun slightly out of battery and the trigger functions and the paper does not interfere with the sight picture.

For those of you who shoot a DA/SA gun, what is your method in dry fire? DA each time, DA first and nothing on the subsequent shots etc?

I alternate between "real" DA pull and just having the gun on 1/2 cock and wiggling the trigger. Many drills the trigger isn't manipulated at all as they work on sight alignment and building a sight centric mentality (if that's even a term!)