Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NJ State Police Rumer / Bad Sigs?

jimmy1256

OK, while at 2 different competitions over this past weekend (shooting a Sig P320) had to listen to 2 different people tell me a story about the NJ State Police having Sig Problems. Both stories were about the same. The NJ State PD 50+/- Sig Sauer P229s for review and testing. Upon receipt of order 12+/- would not pass there initial tests and had to be sent back to Sig. Sig, as a way of soothing things out, sends 12+/- P320s to the PD for testing. Out of these 12 replacement pistols about half fall apart and fail within 2 weeks. Any body else herd this one? Or something like it? I'm not in the loop and most of my Sigs run flawlessly (except for one P320 out to Sig for repair right now). Just curious.

not making a statement about the weapons in the OP question.

My understanding from ... gads... almost 20 years ago

is that the sig 229 variant .40 slide cracked and failed to return to battery.

that story was given to me by a NJ resident.

I was not able to verify or second source that story, and I do own a sig pistol.

buuut it is one way for a pistol to fail and if the crack is bad .... the slide can come off.

I am curious how such stories get going and why finding the real story is so hard.

miranda

I wasn't there and did not witness these events. I'm just asking if anyone out there had herd of any of this. This information was told to me at a couple of events over the weekend just because I was using Sig pistols and I like them.

I am a little suspicious about such rumors now.

mine was from about 20 years back

and it was about nj state police having cracked 40 slides.

I was not able to confirm the story. I did not hunt old newspaper articles either.

the two are quite similar.

next time some one mentions it, try to get a source.

where they read about it or the name of the people involved.

miranda.

ETA

found this:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/06/02/hairline-cracks-found-in-kentucky-pds-glocks/

Edited by Miranda

OK, while at 2 different competitions over this past weekend (shooting a Sig P320) had to listen to 2 different people tell me a story about the NJ State Police having Sig Problems. Both stories were about the same. The NJ State PD 50+/- Sig Sauer P229s for review and testing. Upon receipt of order 12+/- would not pass there initial tests and had to be sent back to Sig. Sig, as a way of soothing things out, sends 12+/- P320s to the PD for testing. Out of these 12 replacement pistols about half fall apart and fail within 2 weeks. Any body else herd this one? Or something like it? I'm not in the loop and most of my Sigs run flawlessly (except for one P320 out to Sig for repair right now). Just curious.

I've heard similar rumors about Oklahoma HP guns........

I was told by a former Colorado State Patrol armorer that a cop could break a hammer.

I've broken quite a few hammers. What are you implying?
This was from an officer who I later found out was stabbed in the shoulder with an icepick during a traffic stop. He completed the arrest, then drove into town and turned the suspect over to another officer outside the hospital before having the icepick removed.

He told a lot of stories to gunsmithing students, but I heard the icepick story from an officer at a different agency.

I am a little suspicious about such rumors now.

mine was from about 20 years back

and it was about nj state police having cracked 40 slides.

I was not able to confirm the story. I did not hunt old newspaper articles either.

the two are quite similar.

next time some one mentions it, try to get a source.

where they read about it or the name of the people involved.

miranda.

ETA

found this:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/06/02/hairline-cracks-found-in-kentucky-pds-glocks/

I spent 27+ years as an LEO in NJ between 1984 and 2011. AFAIK, NJSP never issued a .40 S&W pistol. Always 9mm.

Mike

My job issues Sig 226 & 229 9mm. We got new guns 4-5 years ago, with the new larger external extractors. We had 10% failure rate for brand new out of the box guns. They would not reset the trigger after firing. We video' guns doing this & sent it to Sig. They sent new trigger reset springs. Not real confidence builders for a $1000 pistol. But, can't convince my chief to consider anything else. Sig seems to be doing what Smith was doing in the late 80's with the gun of the month.

I had to send back to SIG a brand new P226 Elite with the new big extractor.... for extraction problems. They took great care of me of course and fixed it quick. I believe the issue was a bad extractor spring. Very disappointing to hear that a $1000 pistol won't work properly out of the box. Seems like the older SIGs had less issues. I've gone through numerous SIG's over the past 20+ years and never had any problems until this last pistol.

Hi MAP/mike.

well, since the rumor I got was that sig 40s were cracking

I'll stick with it was an unconfirmed rumor....

:-D

I have read some reports of cracked frames.

and the few I have seen seem to be from various manufacture

not sure from your post so I ask....

did you have a cracked frames/slide pistol?

miranda

Edited by Miranda

Not sure when these rumors occurred, but NJSP issued HK P7M8's from 1983 until 2000 or so. Initially, the SW99 was chosen to replace the HK's, but a large amount of failures during transition training caused NJ to cancel the contract and go with SIG P228's. These were issued until 2014 when they switched to the P229 Enhanced Elite. All of these pistols are/were 9mm.

Andy

.... why am I defending a rumor?

ah well. I am happy to hear NJ picked the 228.

my info/story/rumor was related to me about 2002/2003.

so the cracking problems may have been a real part,

but the type of pistol was changed....

welcome to rumors.

accuracy is not part of the landscape.

miranda

• 3 weeks later...

I thought for sure that this was going to the P320 since they specified no finger grooves. Everyone is now speculating that Glock is going to be putting out a new frame. It would be nice but I think it's just as likely that the Feds are accepting the finger grooves on their new pistols. We shall see.

I thought for sure that this was going to the P320 since they specified no finger grooves. Everyone is now speculating that Glock is going to be putting out a new frame. It would be nice but I think it's just as likely that the Feds are accepting the finger grooves on their new pistols. We shall see.

Nope, finger grooves will be removed and it will have an ambi slide release lever

Nope, finger grooves will be removed and it will have an ambi slide release lever

I've always thought that Glock is so stubborn that it would take an act of Congress to make them change their ways. Ironically, that's almost the truth apparently.

As much as the idea of a Glock w/o grooves is intriguing to me, I'm pretty sure I'll wait a couple of years for them to work out the bugs. You'd think that this is relatively minor as far as function goes, but it seems like there are always issues with their changes.

I don't think anyone is stupid enough at glock to turn down a $85 MILLION (capped) contract because they didn't want to change a cheap and easy grip.

I'd bet there is far more time and energy to get the ambi slide release than the grip changes.

Poor sig, I thought they had it. Hopefully it will come out what happened. Hoping the military contract doesn't just play monkey see monkey do and the 320 might have a chance!

Edited by ShortBus