Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best/Worst 223 Brass

ToddKS

There is a similar conversation going that seems to have focused on 9mm so I though I would put one out there for .223 as well.

Which 223 brass do you like/hate and why?

Obviously crimped primers are an issue for some people but what other characteristics of the brass cause you issues?

PMC brass is nice but they seal the powder in the brass with tar, so if I forget to dig that out it makes powder overflow when I fill the case up. Lake City and Federal are nice, but swaging primer pockets isn't fun. Some Winchester brass has crimped primer pockets, too. Remington brass is great, no crimp, nice primer pockets, decent brass.

Id have to look thru my 223 brass, but LC is at the top. Any brass I buy is LC. Anything I pick up off the ground could be anything but I tend to avoid TulAmmo as it has alot of really off center primer holes. I inspect range pickups pretty thoroughly to ensure that I discard anything with off center primer holes, or any other reason I see fit. Otherwise I just shoot the stuff. I dont bother sorting by headstamp unless Im trying to build an accuracy load.

• 2 weeks later...

This surprises me on the FC I would expect the same as LC since the same company owns them. Luckily I have a ton of LC that I need to process so I wont have to buy any once fired for awhile.

This surprises me on the FC I would expect the same as LC since the same company owns them.

I don't think so, Federal Cartridge is owned by Vista Outdoor, Lake City is owned by the federal government and the Lake City Army Ammunition plant in Missouri is operated by Alliant Techsystems and Orbital Sciences (ATK).

This surprises me on the FC I would expect the same as LC since the same company owns them.

I don't think so, Federal Cartridge is owned by Vista Outdoor, Lake City is owned by the federal government and the Lake City Army Ammunition plant in Missouri is operated by Alliant Techsystems and Orbital Sciences (ATK).

That's a relatively recent development. ATK spun off Vista last year - until then they were all part of ATK.

That said, the product lines have some overlap but aren't identical. Vista makes CCI and Federal primers - very different.

That's a relatively recent development. ATK spun off Vista last year - until then they were all part of ATK.

That said, the product lines have some overlap but aren't identical. Vista makes CCI and Federal primers - very different.

Agreed, and common ownership means very little, particularly products that aren't built in the same plant and even if the same company that built Federal's cartridges also ran the Lake City plant, it doesn't mean that their cartridges would be made to the same standards.

There's always some confusion on this relationship. We use Federal LC ammo at work. All the cases have FEDERAL printed all over them and the small individual boxes are all marked federal, but every bit of brass in them is stamped LC with the NATO logo and other symbols as well as date stamp. It is excellent brass for reloading once the primer crimp is removed and all I load these days. FEDERAL commercial brass with the FC head stamp is not the same and is the brass many complain about.

There's always some confusion on this relationship. We use Federal LC ammo at work. All the cases have FEDERAL printed all over them and the small individual boxes are all marked federal, but every bit of brass in them is stamped LC with the NATO logo and other symbols as well as date stamp. It is excellent brass for reloading once the primer crimp is removed and all I load these days. FEDERAL commercial brass with the FC head stamp is not the same and is the brass many complain about.

Any company can use another company's brass to make their ammo, there are various companies that make ammo using Lake City or Starline brass for example.

Regardless, Federal brass and Lake City brass are not the same.

Any company can use another company's brass to make their ammo, there are various companies that make ammo using Lake City or Starline brass for example.

were sorta saying the same thing, except To clarify, theres more of a relationship between Orbital (ATK) who does run operations at Lake City, and FEDERAL (Vista) than merely purchasing LC brass. Until last year, I think, they were one and the same, and still are except on paper. Vista is a spin off company from ATK and the relationship of the two companies has the LC cartridges making their way into FEDERAL marked packaging. This, as I was perhaps inadequately explaining in my previous post, is why theres confusion about federals cartridge cases. Not all of Federals .223/5.56 cases are the same, as you stated.

were sorta saying the same thing, except To clarify, theres more of a relationship between Orbital (ATK) who does run operations at Lake City, and FEDERAL (Vista) than merely purchasing LC brass. Until last year, I think, they were one and the same, and still are except on paper. Vista is a spin off company from ATK and the relationship of the two companies has the LC cartridges making their way into FEDERAL marked packaging. This, as I was perhaps inadequately explaining in my previous post, is why theres confusion about federals cartridge cases. Not all of Federals .223/5.56 cases are the same, as you stated.

Agreed.