Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should Sig make a new Line of DA/SA Duty Pistols?

BASE772

I think so. A totally new line of DA/SA pistols with a new alloy frame the shape of the new P320 Target that is coming out. Let's face it. The new 320 target grip is more CZ like and CZ's feel good in the hand. The top end could stay the same.

I love the P-series pistols. Can't think of any other firearm I would trust my life with more. So if you could make that gun a little more ergonomic why not? I read time and time again on forums of people saying they love the reliability of a Sig but the CZ feels better in the hand.

So why not give the people what they want? A Sig with a better feeling grip.

Thoughts?

Of course this is just an opinion.

I'm not sure it's what you had in mind, but they are to an extent already doing that with the Legions. I think that they changed the grip enough that it feels significantly different (better) than a standard P-series gun. I'm really not sure I can think of any way to improve it.

Maybe an unobtanium grip medallion for balance? I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Edited by Docsabo40

I think they need to make more SAO guns. I know a lot of folks who all say the same thing. Love the sig, hate the DA/SA stuff.

I agree! I'd buy a P229 Legion SAO today if they had them.

I think they need to make more SAO guns. I know a lot of folks who all say the same thing. Love the sig, hate the DA/SA stuff.

I think that the P229, and P220 are next on the list of guns to go SAO in the legion series or so i've read.

Edited by manderson2228

I hear that a lot about DA/SA. Seems like in this day and age of striker guns, DA guns are going the way of the dinosaurs. At the very least, no one bothers to put the time in to master their triggers any more because strikers are that much easier to get the hang of.

That would would be pretty damn near perfect, IMO. If I can find a P226 SAO in the meantime (assuming the P229 SAO happens), it would be hard not to buy it. If it buy it, it would be hard to justify getting both. So maybe the P226 shortage is a good thing... we'll see. When it comes to waiting for new guns to be released, I have almost zero patience. :-)

I hear that a lot about DA/SA. Seems like in this day and age of striker guns, DA guns are going the way of the dinosaurs. At the very least, no one bothers to put the time in to master their triggers any more because strikers are that much easier to get the hang of.

I might have agreed with you a couple years back, but it seems the double action CZs are taking over production division. Not just locally, but at nationals as well. It seems the plastic production guns are on the decline in USPSA.

The double action CZ's in production have a lighter and shorter DA pull than my GGI 320....

Having a double action trigger for da popo or even the average CC guy is a good thing. A longer heavier (mainly longer really) trigger can give you the time you might need to back off that trigger of you decide to not shoot, or it might keep from you From having a ND because you got on the trigger a little early/hard. It has some other good merits but I feel that is basically the most important one.

Edited by ShortBus

I still like the DA/SA triggers for a self defence/home defence gun. Gun is ready to go but still safe. And it only takes a second to cock the hammer back if need be too.

I agree with TacticalReload in that a lot of poeople don't put the time in to learn a DA/SA trigger. I personally would not put a striker fired gun without a manual safety in a IWB holster. It is a bit strange after firing my stock 229 Legion trigger then go to a 6 1/4# DA/ 2.5# SA trigger on my CZ though.

I've never got to look at a 226 SAO. It appears the thumb safety is all in the frame of the gun. Is the slide different than a DA/SA 226?

I might have agreed with you a couple years back, but it seems the double action CZs are taking over production division. Not just locally, but at nationals as well. It seems the plastic production guns are on the decline in USPSA.

I was thinking more about the gun-buying public as a whole rather than competitors specifically. It seems like a majority of people who started shooting during the modern era of plastic-fantastic has all but abandoned the idea that DA guns have any merits. Personally, I find that all the pistols in my carry rotation have hammers. Doing it with an OWB kydex holster in a controlled environment with a neatly tucked in shirt and a second and possiblly third set of eyes watching (ie, during a competition) is one thing, but holstering striker-fired guns IWB with untucked clothing or whatever always gives me the willies. I like putting my thumb over the hammer of my gun while holstering so I know if something is catching the trigger. The longer, heavier pull also makes me feel better in a self-defense situation.

The most common complaint I hear about DA/SA guns is the transition from the first pull to the second. I think what those people are REALLY complaining about is the first pull, not the transition. Give them a heavy DAO trigger and they would probably be just as, if not more, unhappy. I guess spending most of my first 5 or 6 years of handgun shooting with SIGs and revolvers got me over the hump with the DA learning curve.

BASE772... you have me thinking that I want to try a well-tuned CZ. For some reason, I have never been bitten by the CZ bug. (Probably because I've never fired on with a 6.25# DA pull.) In fact, the only one I've really handled for any large amount of time was a buddy's NIB SP-01 Shadow. I think the fact that the finish appeared to be applied with a rattle-can of black rustoleum kinda turned me off. Other than that, I have such a lack of knowledge about anything CZ that it's embarrassing.

CZ's are nice guns. I have two SP-01 Shadows.

They are great competition guns. Feel very good in the hand. I just don't have the trust in them yet as a carry/self defense gun.

The CZ PCR and the P-07 look like nice guns and get rave reviews.

Edited by BASE772

I've never got to look at a 226 SAO. It appears the thumb safety is all in the frame of the gun. Is the slide different than a DA/SA 226?

I do not believe so. I've read of people swapping slides between DA/SA and SAO frames.

I'm not sure it's what you had in mind, but they are to an extent already doing that with the Legions. I think that they changed the grip enough that it feels significantly different (better) than a standard P-series gun. I'm really not sure I can think of any way to improve it.

Maybe an unobtanium grip medallion for balance? I don't know, just thinking out loud.

I think a deeper cut in the backstap area (like the x-5) would seal the deal for me....

The 226 Legion SAO's are hard to find right now.

My LGS had one that sold the first day it came in; It was on lay away but I did get to play with it. (the salesmans friend was buying it, so he let me carefully inspect)

Very nice reset.....

• 4 weeks later...

Absolutely! I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Also, apropos the OP, I think the Legion grip is far superior to the 320 grip.