Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swinger Practice

Smitty79

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Bob Vogel does a video on the IDPA Swinger.

I bought a stand myself. I also bought a Texas Star, Dueling tree and use the Last Stands System as a plate rack (1 with 4” and 1 with 6” plates).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• 9 months later...
On 5/26/2016 at 7:38 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

I just broke down and bought a swinger ($200 for one that was well made by an individual, you can get by for less if you are handy).

where did you get the swinger for 200? Thanks a lot

• 4 weeks later...

Swinger is my devil in a match. I too need some advice 

Everyone around me advise me to ambush. But I would have 10% chance of even hitting the target at 10 yards or more. If there is dwelling point, everyone told me to double tap. With my production cz shadow 2 and current setup there isnt just enough time to properly double tap. I tried tracking and I could get good A hits. 

Problem is I went to a match where swingers are covered most at its arch of swing. Basically I could only engaged at its dwelling point. My score suffered so much with C/M. 

So do you guys train shooting swinger in two methods? one by tracking and ambushing. In my case tracking doesnt always work in certain stage design.

1 hour ago, Tgun84 said:

Swinger is my devil in a match. I too need some advice 

Everyone around me advise me to ambush. But I would have 10% chance of even hitting the target at 10 yards or more. If there is dwelling point, everyone told me to double tap. With my production cz shadow 2 and current setup there isnt just enough time to properly double tap. I tried tracking and I could get good A hits. 

Problem is I went to a match where swingers are covered most at its arch of swing. Basically I could only engaged at its dwelling point. My score suffered so much with C/M. 

So do you guys train shooting swinger in two methods? one by tracking and ambushing. In my case tracking doesnt always work in certain stage design.

Sometimes the problem is only that you have to shoot faster than your current skill level, or perhaps just confidence level, allows.

Something that seems to be helping me is to practice like this occasionally:

1. Set two targets close enough that I can shoot Alpha's as fast as I can pull the trigger , maybe that is something like five yards.

2. Move targets back until hits start to become unacceptable. 

3. Force myself to shoot Alphas as fast as I can at this longer range. 

4. Repeat.

Other thing, sometimes there is time for a 3rd aimed "safety" shot, I think even the pro's will take a safety shot on occasion depending upon target difficulty. 

FWIW, I'm a lowly B class hacker so take this with as many grains of salt as you deem appropriate. 

4 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Sometimes the problem is only that you have to shoot faster than your current skill level, or perhaps just confidence level, allows.

Something that seems to be helping me is to practice like this occasionally:

1. Set two targets close enough that I can shoot Alpha's as fast as I can pull the trigger , maybe that is something like five yards.

2. Move targets back until hits start to become unacceptable. 

3. Force myself to shoot Alphas as fast as I can at this longer range. 

4. Repeat.

Other thing, sometimes there is time for a 3rd aimed "safety" shot, I think even the pro's will take a safety shot on occasion depending upon target difficulty. 

FWIW, I'm a lowly B class hacker so take this with as many grains of salt as you deem appropriate. 

I can do 0.2-0.3 split on close target. Anything beyond 10 meter I probably need 0.4 - 0.6 to get consistent Alpha. There isnt too many IPSC shooter in my town. Total perhaps 20-30 guys. All of them advocate ambush but of course most of them dont get good hit on difficult targets, except 1 A class and 1 GM guy who could ambush swinger with good Alpha hits... True to what you say. I dont feel comfortable double tapping swinger even at its momentary stop as I could not have proper sight picture on the second shot.

12 minutes ago, Tgun84 said:

I could not have proper sight picture on the second shot.

If you are like me, part of the opportunity is learning what a proper sight picture is for shooting at your best speed with acceptable accuracy and another part is to start aiming the second shot the instant the sight lifts. 

Coming from more of a bullseye shooting background I've got a bad habit of holding the sight on the target too long before pulling the trigger and not driving the gun back to the target as fast as I can. At my last match I was able to make good shots on my last 4 stages by just having the sight where it needed to be for an eye blink but it is a work in progress, on my first 2 stages I was back in the bad habit of aiming too long and driving the gun back to the target too casually.