Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering lead. Help please.

B_RAD

I've loaded off and on for 10 yrs. Never loaded much lead. Now I'm just wanting to get cost down to the lowest price possible. However, don't want smokey bullets.

Where's a good place to get coated bullets.

Looking for 147 gr.

Do you folks find a huge savings when using coated lead vs plated.

These will be for plinking/IDPA.

At the moment I'm loading 3.9gr WSF over 147 gr Berrys. OAL is about 1.150".

Edited by B_RAD

Bayou, Blue, Black, Missouri, SNS, lots of places to buy coated bullets. One level of saving the most is buying the most you can get the flat rate shipping for. This is usually 2-3k. I don't go above this level but there are often large quantity discounts also.

I've tried plated a few times but I have always been frustrated with accuracy with them.

I guess another question is are folks buying direct?

In the past I just always went to powder valley. I don't see any coated bullets on PV.

Most vendors sell direct. Personally I've used bayou, S&S, Leatherhead and blue bullets, and purchased from all of them directly.

My recommendation is to buy trial quantities from one or two and try them. All of the above sell samples of 50-100 bullets.

When you order, order as many as feasible. Most companies ship USPS flat rate so there is usually a pretty good price break when going to case lots.

MBC is a great source for coated bullets. I've used them in the past and the service has been great. Just made the move from cast/lubed to coated and so far, I like them a lot. FWIW, going from plated to cast or coated, you'll probably see an increase in accuracy.

I have made the move to coated bullets and use them for both practice and all my competition use. The gain in FPS alone has made a big difference in meeting major power factor in .40 and .45, I like Blue Bullets the best, followed by Leatherheads, which do seem to be a bit more accurate in the 147 in my XDM for 3 gun.

FWIW, going from plated to cast or coated, you'll probably see an increase in accuracy.

Well, who can complain about that! And added bonus!

Thanks everyone for the input!

I've been loading coated bullets from Eggleston Manufacturing. Great bullets and a big variety of colors. You can pick the size you want. I'm using 147 grain sized .358 and get better velocity and very accurate loads.

I've been loading coated bullets from Eggleston Manufacturing. Great bullets and a big variety of colors. You can pick the size you want. I'm using 147 grain sized .358 and get better velocity and very accurate loads.

I'm not overly impressed with their stuff.

I ordered a bunch from them last time they had a sale. Took over a month with very poor communication from the owner.

They bullets aren't any cheaper or better than any of the others. So I'll stick to acme for now.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

x2 for Missouri Bullet Company. I haven't found a better selection of weights, calibers and styles anywhere else. Most of the time the orders ship within a day or two and are at my door in 2 days. In fact, there is a box of their 147 grainers sitting on my doorstep right now :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I'll second/third Bayou bullets. They are an excellent product... clean & accurate. Less expensive than plated by a modest margin. Their 9mm 124 TCG is the most accurate bullet I have found for my 1/16 twist 9mm KKM M&P barrel.

I'm not that happy with the barrel, but the 124 TCG makes it a solid shooter (once I got the hoods stoned in and got rid of that 5 inch "1st round" flyer).

Bayou is awesome, same for Eggleston, though I admit bias due to them being local and the colorful selection.

I didn't see anyone mention powder selection, but with coated as well as bare lead, burn temperature starts to make a difference. Bare lead 147s with Titegroup, for example, wind up being n-a-s-t-y, while coated it's better, but not as good as other options like Clays (which I use in .45 -- couldn't make it to PF in 9), Silhouette, or WST/WSF.

Well, I'm stocked up on wsf and clays.

Though, I'm a little hesitant to load 147's with clays. I have in the past using load data from the grapevine. But not sure I want to anymore. So, gonna go with 3.7 gr of wsf @ 1.15" OAL and federal/sellier & bellot primers