Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VV N-300 series

special envoy

It depends on whether you want to shoot major or minor, and how flat shooting you want it to be. Six holes are going to bleed of a lot of gas. If you are going for velocity without requiring boatloads of slow powders, use something fast like N310. If you want flatter shooting, use N340 or N350.

Frankly, I wouldn't use VV powders unless I had no choice. They are very good powders, but they are extremely temperature sensitive, and expensive. Good alternates would be e3 on the fast end and AutoComp on the slow end. I like HS-6 for popples and ports, but I've never tried it for 45ACP.

.45ACP? N320 should make Major, easy. N310 in a big case is a bit scary because you use so little. If you want gas for the holes, go slower: N340, 3N37, N350.

Yes,45acp.Using N340 I feel the not burned powder in my face.

... and you don't like that? Try N320. It should burn more completely. Start with about 1.4 grains / 0.1 grams less than N340, I think: http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloading-data/handgun-reloading/-45-acp.html

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would stay with fast powders. Can not imagine ANY .45 load, at SAAMI pressure or less, producing pressures that will completely burn any powder much slower than Unique.

N310 has given me pressure spikes (erratic recoil and velocity with loads individually weighed). Powders that I like in .45 Auto are Bullseye, Red Dot, Solo 1000, Green Dot, 231/HP38, and N320. These are the powders most likely to be accurate with any bullet and any gun.

The only slow powder that has done well is True Blue.